Religious Violence against a Jedi

More
6 years 10 months ago #282380 by Eleven
I got a call from an old friend from a church I went to several years ago and back then we're inseparable...well, until he went of to seminary to be a Pastor. So, over the years we lost contact and thanks to FB IM he contacted me and wanted to catch up. So, Sunday we picked a time and a place and we met at a nearby starbucks. I went in and grabbed a tea and sat and awaited him to come. He came in and we hugged each other and it was a joyous occasion. We sat and talked a good two hours sipped on tea and coffee it was a great time...caught up. It seemed all well and good until he brought up religion. He asked me if I was attending a church at all I replied that i was and he insisted on knowing what kind of church I went to. I replied, "Temple of the Jedi Order." He begun to burst into laughter and just kept laughing. Once he regained himself after a few minutes I he asked me again and I repeated the same response. His eyes got big and his grin turned into partial grin. "Your joking right?" He said. I said, "No, I am not joking." I replied. His joy quickly became angry and begun to whisper, "Are you (cuss word) kidding me? Really...a Jedi temple???" I said yes what is the problem? His tone became increasingly more angry, "Have you lost you mind? What do you believe in worshiping (Cuss Word) George Lucas???"
I told him no and that I didn't worship anything and begun to explain my beliefs to him. He kept cutting me off and growing really angry and short with me.

Finally half way through explaining I stood up, "You know man, I love you but, I see this is going no where. I don't see why this is so important to you that I believe what you believe. It's none of your business I shouldn't have told you anything I suppose. I feel that I should just go now and it was nice seeing you." I begun to walk away and he persistently followed me out the door and toward my car. "Wait Leif, I want to talk to you wait. Look, I am sorry I just don't understand. Your a Christian. Let's go tonight and go to church together come on like old times." I declined his offer and told him goodbye again. When I turned my back I was suddenly met with a hard shove to the back. I turned around quickly shocked and he took me off balance and tripped off the crib and jumped on top of me and begun to punch me in the head. I quickly begun to cover my head and attempt to get up. When I did he begun to back off. A lady from inside started screaming, "Leave him alone! get off him! Stop!!!"

"What are you doing!? Have you lost your mind?" I said.
"No, I am trying to get you to come to your senses. Do you understand your going to hell if you believe that?" He replied panting.
"How would you know? Have you been there before? Go away man, before I call the police." I replied.
"I already called the police...they're on there way." The lady said from the starbucks.
"Boy this is gonna be something hard to explain huh buddy?" I said.
"Nope, because I am leaving." He said.
"No wait man, that's escaping the scene of the crime." I said.
"Oh well, I am not going to jail." He said.

He got into his car and drove off. The cops came checked me out make sure I had no concussions or anything. I was find other than a little rattled. This isn't the first time I've been assaulted by someone from another religion. One, was several years ago which I probably should of not be so expressive about my beliefs to others which I have learned not to do. But, what does a Jedi do is such a situation? Did I do the right thing?

Anybody have any thoughts?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadHatter, ZealotX

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #282383 by
Replied by on topic Religious Violence against a Jedi
Are the cops going to pick him up for assault? It seems to me like it may fall under a hate crime.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #282384 by
Replied by on topic Religious Violence against a Jedi
From what I can see, this guy was prolly just having a bad day and decided to take it out on you.

If not, and this is how this person truly acts, then it is very un-Christian indeed.

Or thirdly, and this may be the biggest, perhaps something you said tugged at his heartstrings and he was afraid of what that would mean for his faith.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

More
6 years 10 months ago #282386 by Alethea Thompson
Joe Shmoe (since you didn't tell us a name, that's what I'm using :D): Do you really believe that you're demonstrating an attitude that would make me want to follow in your footsteps?

As it happens, I'm Christian as well, so I wouldn't experience this type of discrimination. It also gives me an edge, that I can talk Bible and point out how it melds with the Jedi Path. But the situation you paint here is one where it all comes down to turning everything on them. Not defending yourself.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 10 months ago #282387 by Eleven
Yes, I did turn him in for violence and assault. I didn't want to use his name by choice. I am a Christian as well Althea I am merely telling you the short form of the version of the story I don't wanna bore everyone of get too far off the actual subject of the post. I agree with you alot of what we teach here as Jedi comes from the Bible. A bad day? So, he decides to beat on me because I don't believe what he does? I am sorry Arisaig that doesn't give him the right to abuse me physically this guy was suppose to be my friend and he's a pastor of a church? I am sorry I don't see Jesus ever doing that. But, I am not here to tear his walls down. I often, carry my ultra saber hilt on my belt but, I was so shocked by the encounter I didn't think about it until he was gone. I just don't get it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tl1zqH4lsSmKOyCLU9sdOSAUig7Q38QW4okOwSz2V4c/edit

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #282391 by Rex
You can't control your friend, only how you react.

First off, he doesn't sound like the kind of person who will be good for you, so I would avoid him.

Second, he didn't really do anything to you. Anyone actually fighting and hitting you would have left you injured. It sounds like he got excited and physical, but didn't have intent to injure you. His words are equally bizarre yet harmless.

Third, in my opinion, if you want to do the right thing you won't press charges against him and give him a chance. So what if he got physical because he can't live up to his own religion. As far as it is up to you, live at peace.

You posted this here for a reason, I'm just not sure why yet. I'm not validating your friend or you.
MTFBWY and your friend

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Rex.

More
6 years 10 months ago #282393 by Eleven
Rex said:

"Second, he didn't really do anything to you. Anyone actually fighting and hitting you would have left you injured. It sounds like he got excited and physical, but didn't have intent to injure you. His words are equally bizarre yet harmless.

Third, in my opinion, if you want to do the right thing you won't press charges against him and give him a chance. So what if he got physical because he can't live up to his own religion. As far as it is up to you, live at peace."

Okay Rex, First off did I ever say that I was pressing charges? No. Did I speak with the cops when they arrived yes. Did they did say if I should press charges against him? Yes they did but, I didn't I choose not to do anything. Yes, I will not be around him anymore.

Why did I post this? Simple. I wanted to see if what I did was right and if I needed further advice that is all.

More
6 years 10 months ago #282395 by Adder
Tempted to report it to his church!? I mean the violence is absurd.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden,

More
6 years 10 months ago #282397 by Rex

Sven One wrote: Okay Rex, First off did I ever say that I was pressing charges? No. Did I speak with the cops when they arrived yes. Did they did say if I should press charges against him? Yes they did but, I didn't I choose not to do anything. Yes, I will not be around him anymore.
Why did I post this? Simple. I wanted to see if what I did was right and if I needed further advice that is all.

I wasn't accusing you of anything, just pointing out what I think is the Jedi-like thing to do, especially since you're dealing with someone who doesn't respect Jediism.
What sort of advice are you looking for?
MTFBWEveryone

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #282398 by Cyan Sarden
Here's my honest opinion on this: why are we even discussing it? This was an act of violence. Thank goodness Sven wasn't hurt. The fact that it was an act of violence is bad enough on its own - combine it with the reason why it happened and it's even worse. Considering that a bystander called the police when she saw it tells me that it at least looked bad enough.

I rarely talk about religious affiliation and beliefs with people outside my family - but whenever I've done it, I might have been met with scepticism but never with violence. If that person thinks it's ok to assault someone who has different beliefs (or for any other reason, for that matter), he first of all hasn't understood Christian ethics and second of all is a nut job. Sorry for being so frank.

And for the question whether it's "Jedi" or not to press charges: that's up to the victim. Pressing charges might very well be the "Jedi" thing to do as it might actually help the assaulter to get his sh** together and not do the same thing again to another person.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Cyan Sarden.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi