"No problem" vs "You're welcome"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276665 by
Replied by on topic "No problem" vs "You're welcome"

Edan wrote: My response is usually 'no worries'... if not then it's 'no probs'. Both are basically me saying 'I don't mind helping and you didn't put me out'. Perhaps it's a British thing to be worried that you're putting someone out cos I know that's usually how I feel. I don't like putting others out, so I reassure them they're not putting me out.

No worries is my go to also...It's kinda a habit now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #276669 by Kit
It depends on the ...level. Kind of like the difference between pretty, beautiful, hot, and gorgeous though, they're minimal.

I use "No worries!" when I mean "it was a simple thing, I'm glad I could help, don't worry about it."

I use "you're welcome, it's not a problem!" to mean something like "I got this, no problem."

I use "You're welcome! I'm glad I could help!" when it's one of those things that wasn't easy, did require something of an effort from me, but I really am pleased and it was worthwhile for me to do for the emotional connection/reward.

I tend to use "You're welcome!" when a gift receiver thanks me for it.

It feels weird typing this all out hahahaha
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #276677 by JamesSand
Where I'm from if you say "good work mate" someone probably stuffed up, so interpreting the meaning of "you're welcome" or "no problem" is left deliberately difficult to understand for the outsider :laugh:

if it was a simple favour of relative ease, I suppose a quick "no wuckers" would suffice,

if you had to drive 200kms out of you way, perform CPR for 3 hours, and donate a kidney, a quick "no wuckers" probably covers that too.

I have a version of this on my office wall. [Note: could be offensive if you're offended by words]

I don't think we'll gain much ground debating such nuance of phrasing across an international member base :)
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by JamesSand.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277509 by
Replied by on topic "No problem" vs "You're welcome"

jheitzenrater wrote:

Edan wrote: My response is usually 'no worries'... if not then it's 'no probs'. Both are basically me saying 'I don't mind helping and you didn't put me out'. Perhaps it's a British thing to be worried that you're putting someone out cos I know that's usually how I feel. I don't like putting others out, so I reassure them they're not putting me out.

No worries is my go to also...It's kinda a habit now.

Perhaps "Hakuna Matata" could also work. :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi