"No problem" vs "You're welcome"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276090 by
Recently I saw a brief discussion on Facebook concerning the two commonly used responses to "Thank You" and I wondered what people here thought.

Which of these two do you use? Do you feel that they convey different meanings? Is one better than the other?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276102 by
Replied by on topic "No problem" vs "You're welcome"
No problem is my go to for the most part. Feel it just let's people know that, well, it's no problem.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276108 by
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what's gone wrong with this thread, that you've not had the proper response yet. I'll correct it now:

https://youtu.be/79DijItQXMM

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276116 by
I find you're welcome to be good manners. But still, to say no problem shows that it was not hard for you to help and you, in fact, didn't see it as an option but to help.

In fact, in Spain they say "De Nada" which means "it means nothing". It sounds like they're putting down their good deed, but they are in fact saying "I did not see any other option but to help".

So both are equally good, but they do have their place. When dealing with senior citizens I find saying you're welcome to be more to their tastes. For folks more around my age I find no problem works better.

More
7 years 2 months ago #276122 by Carlos.Martinez3
Old story
Famous railway engineer on leisure time is stuck on a trip due to the broken down train. Dude wakes up from his nap, as miles grabs a ball peen hammer and releases with a clink tap and drererereerrrrr cha cha cha cha it went on. One million and one dollar was the bill, one for swinging the hammer on million for knowing where to swing it .

If it's attention , you wil find it . You can make em up. My sons 3 and being ..., groomed differently . Thanks yous shake the mind. Every one at the Pioria Va knows who my son Chance if rom his manners aka his time with them , leads small and seconds.... Manners is for us a character trait. A practiced choice .
Personally I try not to use no problem , arrogant to me . My choice , different path. Not wrong, never wrong just not my choice .
My focus is to build never ... Tare down
Hope that helps a bit or at least gives u. Difrent example , an applicable one any way! May the Living Force find you where you seek it

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #276221 by Adder
First and foremost if they are seen as genuine statements then they both might just mean 'its a-ok' don't they??

Then putting aside snide or conceited application, I see 'no problem' as action in the direction of being outside of normal or expected duty, while 'you're welcome' tends to feel more like just being polite within expected duty. That is what I might consider its inherent attribute. Importantly I think the distinction in is from who's point of view, and how its interpreted.... such that saying it to someone might represent effort to alleviate concern in the receiver that the effort might have caused some nature of problem, rather then trying to communicate it was a problem but its been solved ie 'no problem anymore'. To me that is creating an unnecessary construct.

So if we look at it in the other point of view then I feel it goes back to the question of the how genuine its use was in the first place. Saying 'no problem' could be seen as a sign the person is making a point about an actual inconvenience, yes.... but I think that is starting down the slope of some concept of 'debt' which would seem to be creating a social construct more then an inherent attribute in clear communication.

If the situation was an actual problem, then I think it would be better if both parties used it constructively to solve and have a laugh about it rather then reinforce any particular functional authority one might have in the process ie remove inflating the fixers ego.

Warning: may be making concepts up in lieu of actual knowledge :D

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 2 months ago #276222 by Edan
My response is usually 'no worries'... if not then it's 'no probs'. Both are basically me saying 'I don't mind helping and you didn't put me out'. Perhaps it's a British thing to be worried that you're putting someone out cos I know that's usually how I feel. I don't like putting others out, so I reassure them they're not putting me out.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276226 by
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtNb1dnEaSQ

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276228 by

tzb wrote: I'm sorry, I'm not sure what's gone wrong with this thread, that you've not had the proper response yet. I'll correct it now:

https://youtu.be/79DijItQXMM

THIS ..... Is actually what I was going to respond with when reading the OP XD Thank You tzb.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276642 by
Interesting responses everyone. Thank you. I most certainly didn't expect them to be so musical.

Personally I view them to be very much the same, especially if, as Adder pointed out, they are said with genuine intention. Any phrase can be said sarcastically.

However, I read an article once (darned if I could find it now) in which the author postulated that "You're welcome" comes from a place of a bit more, oh gosh what's the word I'm looking for, arrogance? Conceit? I don't really know, but if you've watched the video tzb shared did it not sound a little like Maui was saying "Yes, yes I am wonderful here's all the stuff I've done for you. You are most welcome for all the gifts which I have bestowed upon you because I'm awesome." I think it did.

"No problem" on the other hand is meant to say exactly that. The action for which I am being thanked was no problem whatsoever and is honestly to be expected of me. Why would I not have done so for you? This was not some gift bestowed upon another, simply the expected behavior of all beings who wish to live in peaceful harmony.

I find those to be interesting views and I know that these are simply matters of opinion and preference. I believe that it would be best if we all used whichever one the person we are speaking to would prefer and be happy if someone else says either one back to us when we say thank you. Similar to the "happy holidays" debate. Just be happy that someone is being nice to you, they didn't have to be.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi