What do I tell my family?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275103 by
What do I tell my family? was created by
Been thinking of this for a while. I'm an adult now, however I still see my family once every week. They are the devout Mormons. They always ask me about religion. What do I tell them?

Imagine the shock on their faces if I told them I am a jidai! If you have any suggestions please give them.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275104 by
Replied by on topic What do I tell my family?
I have a similar thing, my family are the type to laugh at this sort of thing so I just call it my own faith without going into much detail, I just describe it as a bit like Buddhism & Taoism and they seem happy enough with that haha.

I would urge you to be careful around the issue though, have a think about it as I know people who's family straight up disowned them, which is extreme I know but still worth considering, it's up to you whether you come out clear & honest or try to be a bit more discreet.

I know one user on here helped me by letting me know Ashla is the name for the lightside of the force in SW lore, so I could always say I followed Ashla, avoids the images that "Jedi" usually conjures up amongst people.

Let me know how it goes and I'll be here to talk x

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275106 by
Thank you for replying, Strider.

My family have already disowned me because of my Anti-Mormon beliefs.

By using the word "Ashla" it gives it a more serious name and that could actually streamline the religion.

I really want to show that you can be a good person without Mormonism, then maybe they will get off my back.

I am seeing them next week, Friday.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275111 by
I'm a strong believer that it is more effective to show the way than to tell it, and hope that over time it will be the same for them that they will see that your faith is not a negative but a positive for you & those around you (:

Good luck!

More
7 years 2 months ago #275114 by Cyan Sarden
I told my wife and kids, but haven't told my parents. We don't typically talk about religion. They know we left church (and didn't take kindly to that :-) but that's about it. Unless they directly ask me, I don't feel the urge to talk about it with them. The feeling is mutual, though - I'm a strong believer in the creed of religion being a private matter. I don't mind what others believe.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275115 by
I grew up in Utah

I was once a Mormon

Nearly my whole family and extended family are also mormon

And I still admire the Mormon (LDS) Community as a whole an welcome their missionaries into my home even though I am not a practicing one myself.

As such....i have approached both family and many missionaries about the subject of "Jedi"

So i can tell you. With a surety. That if there is any religion on this earth that would be most understanding of your Jedi studies.....It is the Mormon community ;) Just be honest. Tell them you found this Temple, show them what we do here, and tell them that you are not attempting to use this Temple as a replacement of their teachings, but rather a source and guide to understanding questions you might have.

Just be honest :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275132 by
I also wanted to point out something that Jedi should learn but is not really taught.

The Art of Speaking....

When I say to be honest. I do not mean you should drop the bomb on them at the dinner table stating "My new religion is Jedi!"

Rather, instead....ease it into conversations and bible studies. When talking about things with your family simply learn to introduce ideas into the discussion

"This kind of reminds me of how Jedi talked about...."

and

"I was looking into different practices and found a place that believes in practicing Jedi ideals in the real world."

It shows that you are still exploring and interested in both talking and learning all points of views without coming off as stand offish and agressive from the get go. :)

Be honest, but use this as an oppertunity to learn more about your family and how you can hold healthy discussions with them.

I find many of the Mormons I have known are very much excited and passionate about discussions and teaching.

Sorry for the double post by the way ;) I got interrupted during my first post for a family store run and had to go XD lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275133 by

Strider wrote: I'm a strong believer that it is more effective to show the way than to tell it, and hope that over time it will be the same for them that they will see that your faith is not a negative but a positive for you & those around you (:

Good luck!

Totally agree. Who cares what label we put on something if it's a positive influence on us and those around us? I treat my faith as a private matter, but the good it does for me and others is plain to see :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275138 by

Prophet wrote: Been thinking of this for a while. I'm an adult now, however I still see my family once every week. They are the devout Mormons. They always ask me about religion. What do I tell them?

Imagine the shock on their faces if I told them I am a jidai! If you have any suggestions please give them.

Like everyone mentioned so far, you don't have to necessarily have to tell your famil/friends that your religion is Jediism. Your most reasonable course of action is just to live out the principles of Jediism and let the way you live your life explain your path. You can show people that you're a Jedi without having to say you're Jedi--just by how you conduct yourself in every aspect of your life.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275169 by
Thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate it. I know I don't have to tell my family about it, but I believe to be open about it if I'm asked ( which I probably will be). (And I have other ambitions regarding the Je'daii.)

I like the point about the "Art of speaking", and that is a good thing for all Je'daii to know.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi