What's Your Automatic Bias?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275400 by
Replied by on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?

Cyan Sarden wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: The self imposed margins the test uses as base lines are arbitrary and have never been proven as valid cutoffs in which an individuals behaviour would change. Besides that the initial questions are very leading.

True, but I believe they might serve the purpose of instigating self-analysis, which might be very beneficial for spiritual growth.

Self-analysis down the wrong path is not self-analysis. It is self-deception. Would you not rather know your path versus walking in the dark because of a 2 minute seat of the pants fancy test? People so much want to believe there is something wrong with them that they are willing to accept this sort of arm chair evaluation as a means to a quick fix for their lives. This is the same reason many join religions in the first place. Looking for some outside authority to validate them and give them the easy answers.

However we need to realize that there are no quick fixes. A 2 minute test cannot tell you who you are. Each of us needs to come to the realization that we are the only authority we require because we already have the answers. We just need to spend the time and effort to ferret those out for ourselves. Knowing who we are and finding the path to self-improvement is not a mouse click away. Instead, It is an arduous process in which meditation, constant self-reflection and evaluation are some of the best tools we can develop for ourselves, vs looking to an artificial source. ;)
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #275407 by Carlos.Martinez3
I find "character" can battle any ... Thing . Just me , regardless of situation , character will hold, depending on our own character and if we stand on it or lean on it or even have it. For me... Test like this reveal the automatic response or the missing part .Personally I've created my own so .... Tests... Seem leading . I'm not the only one. My hope is every Jedi here see the ... Need for character in their daily life's not just see where it can benefit ... No need ever for argue. Never the intention, but to build , see look friends what is there ... Happy ? No then adjust . To easy ! Hope this helps some one who's lost without character ! Let's build never ... Tare down !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 2 months ago #275410 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?

Cyan Sarden wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: The self imposed margins the test uses as base lines are arbitrary and have never been proven as valid cutoffs in which an individuals behaviour would change. Besides that the initial questions are very leading.

True, but I believe they might serve the purpose of instigating self-analysis, which might be very beneficial for spiritual growth.

It never stops, does it? I mean, sure, it might be insightful to look at myself and find bias IF I was operating under the assumption that I did not already. But if I was operating under this assumption, then it is likely that after looking at the results of this test, a new "know-it-all" phase will form, waiting to be disrupted again.

OR... I could just accept that as a human being, I will at all times carry with me biases, and that accepting those biases in order to not let them get in my way, is more useful than trying to erradicate them altogether (an impossible task).

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275412 by OB1Shinobi
i think that bias and prejudice is a topic about which most of us would do well to become both a little more sensitive and also a little less sensitive

less sensitive of our own feelings of being offended and more sensitive to the feelings and ideas of those with whom we dont agree.
i think this is equally true for people on all "sides" of the discussion, and i say this after review of my own views and reactions

personally, i want to be in touch with my own feelings enough to realize when, and especially WHY, i might be dismissive or feel uncomfortable around someone. i want this because i desire to be self aware and honest, and because i want to be socially responsible

i am willing to take responsibility for recognizing whatever prejudices or biases i might harbor, if for no other reason than that I consider intellectual honesty a precondition for maturity, wisdom, and life efficacy

I DO NOT want to push the issue of bias and discrimination further into more clearly defined battle lines between groups, and i feel that creating battle lines and expressing enmity is at the heart of the SJW movement in general, so i am very dubious about anything that smacks of SJWness, and this test most certainly does imo

the way to overcome bias is to interact with people who disprove the presupposition; if you tend to feel uncomfortable about old people because you think they are dim witted and they smell bad then the way to overcome that is to interact with old people who are still sharp and who smell nice, NOT by taking some questionable online test that tells you what a bigot you are lol

i acknowledge that the test may be useful as a tool for stimulating thought, and im going to take it after i submit my responses for the day here at the temple, because hey, what can it hurt?
maybe it WILL stimulate useful thoughts

but i'm biased against these tests because of what ive read and heard about them, and because of the SJW trend that universities are pushing lately, and i already disagree that the test is going to be definitive or reliable as an indicator of how i treat people who are different from me

Gokken gave us insight as to why: when he saw the depicted objects, he, as a unique person with a martial arts background, saw almost all of them as potential weapons. I dont believe that the team who made this test did so with a fair understanding of how Goken would process those images, and if they didnt understand him, then why should i expect them to understand me, or you, any of us?
the short answer is that i dont

heres an article from TIME.com that points out some of the potential shortcomings of the test

https://healthland.time.com/2010/10/12/i-dont-actually-hate-myself-why-harvard-is-wrong-about-bias/

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
7 years 2 months ago #275424 by JamesSand

personally, i want to be in touch with my own feelings enough to realize when, and especially WHY, i might be dismissive or feel uncomfortable around someone. i want this because i desire to be self aware and honest, and because i want to be socially responsible

I'm wonderfully dismissive of people who work in real estate, and even writing that I feel generous using the term "people"

I daresay I have no intentions whatsoever of adjusting or correcting that prejudice :)

My point, I suppose, is that there is nothing inherently "wrong" with bias, and it might be there for a reason.

The next bit is not really a point, just rambling -

I have all sorts of thoughts and opinions about the "homosexuals" - because I live with them, my social circles, lifestyle, and so on is rich and throbbing with rainbow goings-on.

The blacks on the other hand, not so much - most folks I know are, what I believe is known as "honkeys" (or asian, or middle eastern or whatever) - point is, you show me pictures of African Americans (or any other number of folk I am wonderfully ignorant about)- I could care less, I'm not sure I've ever met anyone with those bloodlines. Any bias I have is speculative as hell because they've never factored into my experience of living.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275425 by
Replied by on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?
Personally id rather focus on things that will help me today rather than fixate on generalized ideas based on new trends.

Do I have Bias? Yes. A lot of them actually. But I don't see that as a bad thing. In fact, I accept that I do and that these bias's are who and what I am due to the life and experiences I have and will continue to live. It's what makes me....Me.

What I find to be more useful, is the ability to follow a moral high ground such as the ones presented in Jedi practices (Doctrines, Codes, ect ect) And if you notice....."Conquer Bias" isn't in any of them ;)

What Is found in the Doctrines, Codes, Tenets and Creeds are: Respect. Service. Duty. Peace. Responsibility.

These things I think are far more important than weather or not I have a Bias towards black colored skin or green ;) So long as I am Respectful, responsible and of service to those in need regardless of said Bias.

And let me just say.....

I am a PROUDWHITE STAY AT HOME FEMALE MOM.

Doesn't mean we can't all be Jedi together.

More
7 years 2 months ago #275436 by OB1Shinobi
well that brings a great point; lets say you ARE biased, now what?
can you simply tell yourself not to feel the bias anymore? if you could i wouldnt think it was much of a bias

so what happens if you realize that youre predisposed to dislike old short fat balding gay white women with down syndrome? what do you do with that?

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi