What's Your Automatic Bias?

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275315 by Carlos.Martinez3
This test creates bias , just so you know there's nothing automatic about some one " randomly " showing you things.... Nope . Sorry this one makes the bias it's asking for . Was I the only one who saw it ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #275325 by Leah Starspectre

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: This test creates bias , just so you know there's nothing automatic about some one " randomly " showing you things.... Nope . Sorry this one makes the bias it's asking for . Was I the only one who saw it ?

Did you read the background information/research about the tests on the Harvard webpage?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

More
7 years 2 months ago #275329 by Carlos.Martinez3
I did

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 2 months ago #275338 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?
Pretty center line. My only bias out of these is that I think white people are more dangerous than black people by an little bit.

rugadd

More
7 years 2 months ago #275342 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?
I was going to take it, but then I was reminded by myself that I am highly biased against these tests. :lol:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275343 by
Replied by on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?

Magnus Staar wrote: I was going to take it, but then I was reminded by myself that I am highly biased against these tests. :lol:

+1

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 2 months ago #275356 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?
I felt the same way Carlos. The way several of the priming questions were set up made me immediately suspicious.

Id love to see before and after tests done with and without the primer

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275369 by
You know what the problem with all these tests is , you can still give the socially accepted answers , i try to compare it with my clients who i help with debt control , they know what to do , they tell me what they do , and then what they do is not how they percieve it, and when i confront them with this ( test them so to say) they are shocked at how their behaviour is engraven in them, the idea is to be concious of your bias , its just a test anyway , i am not like wow i am bias , i know in my heart that i am a bias in some areas and i have to work at that. I try to tell my clients aswell that those are moments in time , opportunities to improve themselfes ;)

Thats how i see this test , just a little blipp in time , not useless , but dont put to much weight on it :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275396 by

Carlos.Martinez3 wrote: This test creates bias , just so you know there's nothing automatic about some one " randomly " showing you things.... Nope . Sorry this one makes the bias it's asking for . Was I the only one who saw it ?

There is tons of data out there refuting the validity of these IAT tests. Taking the same test multiple times often reveals different results, leaving them suspect at best. Beyond that even these implicit bias we carry has been shown to really have little effect in our daily lives as, for the majority of us, they are only the slightest of margins. The self imposed margins the test uses as base lines are arbitrary and have never been proven as valid cutoffs in which an individuals behaviour would change. Not to mention the initial questions are very leading.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by .

More
7 years 2 months ago #275397 by Cyan Sarden

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: The self imposed margins the test uses as base lines are arbitrary and have never been proven as valid cutoffs in which an individuals behaviour would change. Besides that the initial questions are very leading.

True, but I believe they might serve the purpose of instigating self-analysis, which might be very beneficial for spiritual growth.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi