What's Your Automatic Bias?

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #275040 by Leah Starspectre
A friend of my mine posted today on Facebook something called "Project Implicit" a Harvard research project that studies where our automatic bias lies. These automatic biases are generally based on things like upbringing, social/cultural conditioning and level of exposure to different groups of people.

I did nearly all of the available tests. While they are geared towards Americans, being from Canada, I had no trouble with the tests aside from the one about US Presidents (it's hard to have bias when you don't know a whole lot about US presidents, ha ha!)

I was surprised to see where my own automatic biases lie, and I'm hoping it will help me be more mindful of them. I think it's important for a Jedi to be mindful of where their automatic biases are, so that we can ensure that they don't affect our actions/decisions.

Here is the webpage if your want to take the tests yourself:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

And here are my results, if you're interested:
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Leah Starspectre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, OB1Shinobi, Rex

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #275045 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?
Wow, that was interesting. The four tests I was most drawn to were the Weapons, Weight, Sexuality, and Gender-Career. The results weren't surprising for the most part (no preference, slight thin preference, moderate gay preference, no preference). I guess it felt good that I was able to almost perfectly guess what my bias was for each. The one exception was I thought I would have no preference in the straight/gay test. Either way, I enjoyed it

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 2 months ago #275051 by JamesSand
I though this might be an interesting idea, but then the test tried to make me say that Coca Cola or Mobile Phones were "harmless" so I threw my computer through the window.

Ah well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

More
7 years 2 months ago #275142 by Cyan Sarden
Wow, apparently I'm a white non-racist liberal mild bigot who strongly associates weapons with white people, moderately associates career and males.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

More
7 years 2 months ago #275153 by Carlos.Martinez3
Funny , none of the few first questions was my... True answer avalible . Hmm a test with a direction and wished result. My answer and test were invalid I had to many not... Answered . Thanks for this , I think lol . I'm sure the answers we get are then guided . Fun ! I have the same effect on Puzzels and codes. Be well all!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 2 months ago #275154 by Carlos.Martinez3
Rex Peter I dare you to take it again and post your result . !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
7 years 2 months ago #275178 by Cyan Sarden
Well, here goes:

- a moderate automatic preference for Young people over Old people

- a moderate preference of other people over muslims

- a strong automatic association for Harmless Objects with Black Americans and Weapons with White Americans.

- moderate automatic preference of straight people over gay people

- male with career and female with family

- Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Barack Obama over George W. Bush.

The last one doesn't surprise me - the rest has been quite an eye-opener. I consider myself an advocate for gender equality and against any kind of discrimination - yet I do seem to have some ingrained biases that I need to work on in some way :-/

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275271 by
Replied by on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?
I only took two, the weapons one and the skin tone one, and I do not have an Automatic bias in either case. Although it was tough to say what was a harmless item. I could easily use any of those items as a weapon.

I enjoyed taking the two tests that I did and might come back later to take more. Thanks Leah.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #275304 by
Replied by on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?
Warning: Spoiler!

There are so many to take, so I stopped there. Due to this being based on timing of response, it's not overly accurate. I say this because of how tricky it is to quickly switch each group to the opposite fingers and expect it to stick very well. I made a lot of errors due to my prior association with each group of terms with one letter. After the first one, I just started to slow down my responses and press each key based on a steady rhythm.

More
7 years 2 months ago #275308 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic What's Your Automatic Bias?
I found this interesting enough that I am going to go through and start taking them and record them in my journal. So far I have done 4 and I am finding it somewhat countering itself but I will complete them all then base my opinion of the study from there.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi