Bullying

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272302 by
Replied by on topic Bullying

Leah Starspectre wrote: And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the severity of psychological bullying, either.

Considering my first husband used such methods among others such abuse....I'm well aware of these methods ;)

However.

I still had the choice to find help, break marriage contract, and cut him out of my life with the support and aide of friends and legal secretaries who were there to physically help where help was needed.

I am not saying "Ignoring" cant be used as a tool. I am saying we as well abiding third parties must be careful in these regards of "Support".

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #272304 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Bullying

Leah Starspectre wrote: Like I said, ignoring someone doesn't automatically label you as a bully, but people will ignore or exclude someone as a way to bully them. It's a form of psychological abuse, like gaslighting. I'm not suggesting that simply ignoring someone makes you a bully, because there are valid and healthy reasons to do so. However, the fact remains that bullies will exclude and ignore in order to purposefully make a person feel worthless or invisible.

And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the severity of psychological bullying, either. It's not always possible for someone to "walk away" from someone who has gotten their way into their mind. Physical and psychological bullying are both equally deplorable, even if one leaves physical scars, and the other mental ones.

I agree, not all forms of this abuse are physical, but in regards to this specific behaviour, where is the line drawn? When does it become Bullying? How to properly identify it?

We now live in a culture where all one has to do is (whether mistakenly through miscommunication or intentionally) call someone out for something the other may or may not have done, and thus possibly ruin their reputation as a possible form of retaliation. It's a pretty slippery slope, and I see it done more and more often. I also notice similar behaviour being used in attempts at controlling others. When does this behaviour qualify as Bullying?

I think if we're going to include this, specifics need to be addressed, the last thing we want is to provide others with an excuse to point fingers without due justification, not that it would hinder all who would...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Zenchi.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #272305 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Bullying
Triss, I was responding to Zenchi, lol!

I agree with your post (which i didn't see until after I'd posted mine), especially about being mindful in your support of others. :)
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

More
7 years 2 months ago #272306 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Bullying

Zenchi wrote:

Leah Starspectre wrote: Like I said, ignoring someone doesn't automatically label you as a bully, but people will ignore or exclude someone as a way to bully them. It's a form of psychological abuse, like gaslighting. I'm not suggesting that simply ignoring someone makes you a bully, because there are valid and healthy reasons to do so. However, the fact remains that bullies will exclude and ignore in order to purposefully make a person feel worthless or invisible.

And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the severity of psychological bullying, either. It's not always possible for someone to "walk away" from someone who has gotten their way into their mind. Physical and psychological bullying are both equally deplorable, even if one leaves physical scars, and the other mental ones.

I agree, not all forms of this abuse are physical, but in regards to this specific behaviour, where is the line drawn? When does it become Bullying? How to properly identify it?

We now live in a culture where all one has to do is (whether mistakenly through miscommunication or intentionally) call someone out for something the other may or may not have done, and thus possibly ruin their reputation as a possible form of retaliation. It's a pretty slippery slope, and I see it done more and more often. When does this behaviour qualify as Bullying?

I think if we're going to include this, specifics need to be addressed, the last thing we want is to provide others with an excuse to point fingers without due justification, not that it would hinder all who would...

Psychological bullying is a grey area, as are many matters involving the mind/psyche, usually having to do with intent. Unfortunately, we can't see into the minds of others to confirm that, so I agree that it's a slippery slope, and that we have to be careful about making assumptions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272317 by

Trisskar wrote: I agree with Zenchi.

I realize not everyone can have the same resolve as to rise above the problems they face, such as someone ignoring you. But the act of Ignoring itself is not enough to call "Bullying"

Bullying is alot like rape in that, you are given no choice to walk away and are outnumbered from your own ability to protect yourself from it. Thus, bullied.

Being ignored by someone is just that someones problems and you have a choice to not let it get to you or go to someone else that can help you get through your own problems.

But regardless.....Not trying to derail from the main purpose and point of this thread. I agree....we as Jedi should be supportive and there for people who were and/or are bullied. However, I also feel it is extremely important for Jedi, and especially Knights to tread on careful waters when conducting online service to those who seek support from bullying. Unless you are there in person to witness and actively take part in the acts being done....it can be a very tricky and sometimes even legal and murky problem as you, here, at the temple, online....far far from the source...only has minimal perspective of the situation.

Listen. Yes.

But be careful when offering advice.

Yeah i never said anything about offering advice and neither did i say that ignoring someone is always bullying , i know it is not always bullying but it can be a tool to bully someone , so i would be very mindfull when ignoring someone , it may be the firtst reaction agains attacks , but after a while even ignoring does not help , i know that from female and male clients who were bullied severely from people they were depending on, from ignoring that they were there to employers ignoring someone at the workplace.

When young ones are being bullied here they can always contact the Youth Officer here aswell , but i was just saying , our inboxes are open for people who want to talk :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272318 by
I know Marta :) I just know word can be twisted, misunderstood, as can the good intentions of a supporting post :) I was trying to remind caution on all sides and lend my thoughts to Zenchi's.

Now its done.

Breakfast time ^_^

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272319 by

Trisskar wrote: I know Marta :) I just know word can be twisted, misunderstood, as can the good intentions of a supporting post :) I was trying to remind caution on all sides and lend my thoughts to Zenchi's.

Now its done.

Breakfast time ^_^

Have a good breakfast :) i understand and i agree with you , Zenchi , and Leah , i just wanted to let you know where i stand ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #272333 by
I experienced horrible bullying in the many different schools I went to starting from about 5th Grade onwards. Anyone who experiences bullying is welcome to message me, just to talk about it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi