Jedi Robes

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271697 by
Jedi Robes was created by
Out of curiosity, who else here wears the Jedi robes portrayed in the films? Do you wear them because of the films, or because in your journey towards the path of a Jedi, you found yourself wearing these robes? I myself, along with one other member, will wear these robes. My intentions are that I believe they will bring me closer spiritually to the force. It is something that brings peace, simplicity, and harmony. The robes are something I can use daily. If I want to meditate for hours, why not wear the robes. If I feel a time is right to wear it outside, I shall.

I know of a fellow member who lives nearby. He is an elder, and one who has studied the force even before Jediism existed. He wears the robes everyday, speaks the truth of the Jedi, and could recite the Jedi code and mantra within minutes. I asked him once why he wore the robes, and he stated that it brought him a peace of mind, helped him through his meditations, and made him one through the force. He discussed that the robes were a symbolic piece of the Jedi, just like a lightsaber is symbolic as well. I find him to be a wonderful mentor when trying to understand the basic understanding of the force. He reminds me of Obi-Wan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #271703 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Robes
I wear them for fun, not as a part of my spirituality. Same reason i own a light saber. My saber crew does demos for organizations like boy scouts etc. I find i dont need a lot of props for my spiritual pursuits. Of course everyone is different and im not saying props are a bad thing but i like to keep them in a more reserved sacred realm vs comon day usage.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #271707 by
I too wear the robes of Jedi. Mine are a cross between what is seen in the films and some custom work. I have been on my path for 14 years now and have been wearing the robes for about 2 1/2. I started wearing the robes because I was having trouble keeping my focus during meditation and felt like I had disconnected from the Force. I bought a set of robes online, which were amazing, but did not feel like MINE. So I broke out my sewing kit and some fabric and made alterations. After a month or so of changes and alterations I finally felt as though my robes reflected myself as a Jedi and the path I chose. Now I wear my robes out every now and again but always while meditating and my connection to the Force only grows.

I can understand why some would rather we not wear them in public as it cultivates a sense of...it makes people think we're a joke. But the fact of the matter is no one questions a Catholic for having a rosary, a Muslim woman/Nun for wearing a Hijab. We who choose to wear our robes and carry our sabers only ask for the same level of respect of our choices, both from the outside world and from our fellow Jedi.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271710 by
I have both a Jedi Robe and a Sith Robe (brown and black respectively). When I see a picture or reflection of myself wearing them it makes it feel more real to me. Just wearing them brings that feeling. I think that outfits and clothing help us realize what we are. That is why religions and cultures from all over the world wear different things. I personally see a future where the Jedi have a real presence in the world. At that point, I would say it should be required that as you go through training your attire changes. So, those that are knighted would wear the robes.

I'm not big on rules or making things a certain way but here I think it's necessary. When you wear the Jedi outfit not only do you realize yourself as a Jedi but others see you as such too. I think most members here aren't so much challenged in seeing themselves as Jedi so much as having the world see them as Jedi too. That is in large part due to the stigma surrounding Jedi and the practice of Jediism. I see wearing the robes and having a temple (eventually) as a way to say "view us as you want, but we are Jedi and we are here".

As for this elder you speak of: If he is as wise as you say he is you should heed his words. Someone that has a greater knowledge surely has tools by which they achieved that. Seems like he shared one of them with you. I would listen.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271712 by
I listen to him every day. He, in his words, has taught me enough wisdom that would take years for one man to learn. He is indeed the wisest man I know personally. As for the robes, I want to not only wear them for meditative purposes, but also for fun as well. There are times when we can all let loose a little bit. I would like to see your robes if you don't mind. I am curious as to what all your robes look like. :) I have an idea on my colors and material, but would like a little inspiration from my fellow brothers and sisters.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271713 by
Also, show your lightsabers if you have made one! I have made myself a lightsaber, and have had it for many years. I will share a picture once I return home. I am currently at a friend's place.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271715 by
Jedi Robe

I was unable to find a link to the Sith Robe I purchased.

Yes, I realize it isn't preferable that we buy our robes from a costume manufacturer on Amazon. For the time being that is the easiest and most affordable way to acquire one. I do hope for a time when we are able to have some sort of system in place to craft our own. Maybe even a place for a class to be held that teaches and guides us on how to do so.

I am not certain whether I support the idea of customizing Robes. I think sometimes standardization is the right way to do some things. It would largely depend on the type of customization I guess.

Also, would love to take a picture of the robes and send them in here but I've had to store them in the ridiculously small bags they were shipped in for the time being. Suffice to say, getting them in there was not easy so I do not want to take them out again until I'm able to leave them out.

My apologies. When I am able to bring them back out I will post them in here.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271716 by

Anison wrote: Jedi Robe

I am not certain whether I support the idea of customizing Robes. I think sometimes standardization is the right way to do some things. It would largely depend on the type of customization I guess.

I am a Grey Jedi so Standardization is something I don't form to well haha

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271717 by

Also, would love to take a picture of the robes and send them in here but I've had to store them in the ridiculously small bags they were shipped in for the time being. Suffice to say, getting them in there was not easy so I do not want to take them out again until I'm able to leave them out.

My apologies. When I am able to bring them back out I will post them in here.

No need to apologize. I understand that unpacking something is somewhat a little challenging to put away at times. Feel free to show pics at anytime! As for the Grey Jedi Robes, I would LOVE to see them if you have them Sqauht Drogus! :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #271721 by
Sqauht Drogus wrote:

I am a Grey Jedi so Standardization is something I don't form to well haha

In most cases neither do I. This is one of a list of very few things. A gray robe isn't what I am worried about. There is a line and that falls well within it. I am simply worried about taking it too far. For instance, I don't think there's a place for a plaid Jedi Robe. Or polka dots, or checkered, etc. A Jedi's robes should be taken seriously and that much customization would not be taken seriously. That being said, I think the entire robe being just about any solid color should be acceptable.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Mentioning quoted authors name, removal of incorrect punctuation

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi