Star Wars movies as "Sacred Texts"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271347 by
So there is a lot of discussion on the new mythology being created through the new Star Wars movies coming out. I have also seen that in general many Jedi regularly either refer to components of movies or actually use some of the philosophical and spiritual aspects of the movies to explore and explain their Jediism. It got me to wondering whether people consider the movies as sacred texts or not.

Most religions have sacred texts of one sort or another, some of them are very steeped in mythology. These sorts of "sacred texts" are not so much divine inspiration but more a path towards divine inspiration. For example Heathenry sacred texts are the Norse prose and poetic Edda's, Dianic paganism has "The White Goddess", Even the bible could be considered a collection of mythologies. Followers of those religions use those respective texts through metaphor etc to explore and define their spirituality.

The Star Wars movies could also just be considered modern day myth - one being created in our lifetimes, right? The only difference between the Star Wars mythology and some of the previously mentioned ones is that the intent of the movies is not to inspire/explain a spirituality... or is it? That's what I'm wondering - is there a component of intended spirituality in these movies and whether there is or not can we consider the Star Wars movies as "sacred texts"? Why or why not?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #271350 by OB1Shinobi
Havent seen the new movies

Wouldnt expect much from disney

People are complicated.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #271354 by Wescli Wardest
Wisdom can be found in a myriad of places.

I think it would be unwise to limit oneself to a particular set of doctrine, and I realize that is not what is being proposed, to gain wisdom from or take examples from. That in part is probably a contributing factor as to why so many members of other religions feel incomplete or quit or bounce from one church to another. Looking for something they are finding. ( I have seen my own parents do that exact thing )

But as to using movies as part of a divine text… I would be against that personally.

I believe a better solution would be to look toward our own clergy and ask them to provide/create a text, or tome, that we could use. It would be incomplete of course and we would want to add to it over time. Maybe creating additional tomes or more advanced books. But it would be something where they could pull wisdom from various other sources and compile it into useful lessons for Jedi to read or study.

And then we would have something that could accurately reflect our own belief structure and be our own. We just have to remember that wisdom is found in more places than just the text or tome that is created. That it is merely reference or a starting off point for a lifetime of personal exploration and reflection.

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Wescli Wardest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, Brick, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271360 by
When I was asked about it, I replied that everything is sacred. This is a Buddhist teaching that I bring to my practices; Everything around us is sacred and thinking like this, our worldview changes completely.
About the myth, this is also everywhere, because it is the journey of the hero, we can see in the SW, but in other places too, as Joseph Campbell speaks in his interviews. Moreover, by studying Aristotle and his writings on the soul, the philosopher says that by reaffirming Campbell's dialogue that the perception of being captures the intelligence of nature, that is, the ancients learned from animals, plants and the functioning of the World and this is reproduced and adapted to us by other stories until the SW. For example, we can easily pick up the history of SW that is futuristic and take it to the Middle Ages with few adaptations without problems.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #271367 by J. K. Barger
From the Moyer's interviews:

"BILL MOYERS: What do you make of the fact that so many people have interpreted “Star Wars” as — as — as being profoundly religious?

GEORGE LUCAS: I don’t see “Star Wars” as profoundly religious. I see “Star Wars” as — as taking all of the issues that religion represents and trying to distill them down into a — a more modern and more easily accessible construct that people can grab onto to accept the fact that there is a greater mystery out there. When I was 10 years old, I asked my mother — I said, ‘Well, if there’s only one God, why are there so many religions?’ And over the years — I’ve been pondering that question ever since. And it would seem to me that the conclusion that I’ve come to is that all the religions are true, they just see a different part of the elephant. A religion is basically a — a container for faith. Faith is the — the glue that holds us together as a society. Faith in our — in our culture, our — our world, our — you know, whatever it is that we’re trying to hang on to is a very important part of, I think, allowing us to — to remain stable. Remain balanced.

(Excerpt from “Star Wars”)

BILL MOYERS: And where does God fit in this concept of the universe? In this cosmos that you’ve created? Is the Force God?

GEORGE LUCAS: I put the Force into the movies in order to try to awaken a certain kind of spirituality in young people. More a belief in God than a belief in any particular, you know, religious system. I mean, the — the — the — the real question is to ask the question, because if you — if you — having enough interest in the mysteries of life to ask the questions, is — is there a God or is there not a God?, that’s — that’s, for me, the worst thing that can happen. You know, if you asked a young person, ‘Is there a God?’ and they say, ‘I don’t know. ‘ You know? I think you should have an opinion about that.
[/i"

Besides Lucas actually making a point to include it, as well as other things like Politics, Economics, and Social Injustice, I guess it must be related how we consider something sacred. The sacred can be spoken of as "that which reveals"; the bigger the revelation, the deeper the faith in its sanctity.

I would consider them sacred in the sense that they help guide me to "a higher spirituality", but the path TO THERE is my religious expression. We all have an inborn sense of the sacred, even though it manifests slightly differently.

Star Wars occurred in a different age and different place, but it points to the same thing as "this day" and "this place"- harmony, balance, and the relationship between things, both big and small. It does this through a general cast of archetypes, who's spiritual apex is found in the Jedi- and they happen to be who the story is mostly about, so I would consider it a spiritual movie in this sense.

Likewise, norito are considered highly sacred, not because of any hints of ancient indigenous ritual or the exact sounds or any sort of mantric formulae they may represent, but for the fact that they "reveal" the feelings associated a deep sense of natural spirituality. And the interpreters of modern Shinto are as "distant" from their sacred source as anyone else on this forum.

Honestly, I consider some of the fiction to be very spiritual and fit for exegesis- especially Rogue One, but not every single aspect is meant to take it to that level. Much of it I think is backdrop- like how the real world acts as the arena that inspires faith or spirituality to grow.

When I took my vows as a Freemason, I was actually encouraged to place a copy of the SW script on the altar in lieu of a the Bible. They recognized my belief in the Force and that the Mythos of SW as the vehicle for that, making it a 'volume of sacred law".

The Force is with you, always.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by J. K. Barger.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271372 by
I think the underlying question is: Should we have a sacred text?

My answer: absolutely not.

As I mentioned in another post in the forums, rules and texts have caused many of the world's religions much strife over the years. I think one of the great things about the Force (or whatever you may call it) is that it is to be interpreted individually. It is the thing that connects all things and guides them on their respective paths. What, when, where, and how is completely up to how you understand it. For each person that will be different and that is one of the best things about what you all have going here. That it is ok to be different and see things differently. I think a sacred text or even too rigid of guidelines/rules would only serve to obstruct that.

So of course my answer to this specific question is that we should not consider any of the movies as sacred texts. I do not believe we should have one to begin with.

I would like to specifically call out Wescli Wardest's idea:

I believe a better solution would be to look toward our own clergy and ask them to provide/create a text, or tome, that we could use.

Obviously, I disagree with this idea. More so than I disagree with using the movies. It would begin as a collaboration of only a few members views and ideas. Amending it would lead to exponentially more issues.

This is my opinion.

I encourage response. Please do. What do you think?

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #271379 by OB1Shinobi
@Anison

well, the difference between a "sacred text" that originates from a piece of entertainment and a text which originates from a religious tradition is time and seriousness - while disney might draw on universal or archetypal themes to put their movies together, they are first and foremost in the entertainment business, and their ultimate aim is to make money off of a commercially successful product

texts which emerge from long standing religious communities serve deeper purposes, like keeping societies and families together, offering individuals a sense of belonging, and tools to keep their sanity in times of real duress

i am a product of my times as much as anyone is and i ascribe to the "bruce lee principle" i.e. "absorbv what is useful, discard what is useless, add what is uniquely your own" (which is why im drawn to jediism) and in my opinion each of us does actually develop a sort of sacred text regardless of whether it is deliberate or conscious or not, insofar as we pursue certain things over others, and if you dont dedicate a very serious amount of energy and effort in said pursuit, you basically end up drifting around the bottom of the economic and social ladder, which is a pretty bad place to be

its not really possible NOT TO prioritize, which imo is the essene of what it means to have a sacred text, and so in my opinion it is a good idea to make it a conscious act where we really think about and select which principles we want to live by in an overt and formal way

its also useful to compare notes with others so that we can get feedback which hopefully will help keep us grounded in reality

so, i kind of agree and disagree: i dont think there should be too precise of a universal text for jediism, but i do think here are some core principles that we agree on, even if we each approach and pursue those principles in different ways

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271381 by
I don't believe in middle mans and sacred things outside of myself.

This is not to mean I see myself as a Higher/sacred power.....It just means that I am my own best spiritual guardian.

When I find something inspiring, Like in Star Wars, It calls to something already within me. It just provided a means of tapping into it. A light switch that put words, emotion, thought, and ideas to what I previously couldn't explain myself.

The movies, books and sources of Star Wars are not Sacred Texts.

But they are great tools that tap into the spiritual power of.....Me.

More
7 years 3 months ago #271390 by Proteus
Just don't forget:

"There is no secret ingredient."

- Kung Fu Panda

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, J. K. Barger, Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271399 by
Hm... I was thinking about this the other day. I can think of a number of resources that influenced the concept of the Jedi, resources we use to develop our philosophy, which I may consider "sacred texts." And while I certainly think there's a place for Star Wars as our mythology (and a good deal of it is very good for influencing the philosophy - Rogue One was fantastic for that, in spite of a lack of Jedi), I think it's a bit difficult to call them either sacred or texts.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi