A question for the Order and the Council

More
7 years 3 months ago #270763 by Kohadre
I can't speak for the majority of TOTJO membership, but I personally haven't seen people have problems with other members who identify as LGBT.

Social justice warriors are a different story however.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #270773 by Kit
The only problem I have with the LGBT community is an automatic mental programing that tells me that if someone has a male partner, they must be female. XD it's crazy how long I've fought that. And I've mostly kept myself from having to put my own foot in my mouth over it :) I noticed I'm not doing a double take anymore when my coworker mentions her wife anymore. So yay! Progress! I think once I get that 'file' sorted on an individual, it's natural. It just takes a bit for me to rewrite it.

I say this because the general community here is very open and accepting, but there are a few of us who have some things to iron out ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

More
7 years 3 months ago #270779 by JamesSand
My country is still working out the whole marriage issue, but the one "upside" if you can call it that is that if someone says "wife" or "husband" it's fairly easy to work out.

and if they "life partner" or "civil unionee" or "thunder buddy" you can infer an alternative of some sort.

:P :P

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #270780 by Adder

JamesSand wrote: My country is still working out the whole marriage issue, but the one "upside" if you can call it that is that if someone says "wife" or "husband" it's fairly easy to work out.

and if they "life partner" or "civil unionee" or "thunder buddy" you can infer an alternative of some sort.

:P :P

Me and Ms Adder use partner because we're not married, instead of defacto... defacto sounds too dodgy :pinch: :lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Adder.

More
7 years 3 months ago #270783 by JamesSand

Me and Ms Adder use partner because we're not married, instead of defacto... defacto sounds too dodgy

I always felt "partner" was a bit businessy.

I have several partners (aye, aye ;) ) in other realms of my life, so it can make the conversation a bit...odd.

That said, I also have not bothered thus far with the document side of things, so I refer to my *ahem* offsider by her name (just has one, like Cher)

Of course, it would be easier if her parents hadn't named her Bruce.... :side:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270803 by
Kit, thank you very much for your explication.
I think that we all have "wrong mental progamming", because of prejudice everywhere in our societies. That's not the problem, but everytime working on our own prejudices, using knowledge, compassion and link with different persons, is one of the most important Jedi path in my point of view.
Thank to have working on that "mental programming" :)
Wind

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #270817 by Ben
I'm gay, and I've been here for five years and held numerous offices including Councillor - in all that time I have never experienced any related negativity from anyone here. Not once. If there are any members who have a major problem with it, they have been keeping their thoughts to themselves! In my early days of membership, TOTJO was actually one of the first places I came out - sexuality has always seemed such a total non-issue here. Alexandre and I are certainly not the only openly gay or bisexual TOTJO Councillors there have been over the years.

In this day and age (and considering the sorts of values that Jediism stands for) it still bemuses me that we get asked this question so often...

That's not to say that we don't necessarily debate related topics, though - for instance, if we were discussing gay marriage, same-sex parenting, transgender bathrooms etc I wouldn't automatically consider someone voicing their opposition to that to be being 'negative'. I don't think that disagreeing with those things necessarily makes one homophobic/transphobic - listening to the reasoning is important - in general I'm most concerned with the basic recognition and acceptance of the legitimate existence of LGBTQ identities/orientations. As someone who tried very hard to convince myself that I could be straight, it's the 'being gay is a choice' type comments (i.e. being LGBTQ is wrong in and of itself) that tend to hurt the most - and they're the type of comments that you don't really ever see here regardless of differences of opinion on particular aspects of LGBTQ rights and lifestyles.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270819 by
I dont see any preferences as relevant to the Jedi Path , you are either a Jedi or you are not , this means that you look at peoples actions and how they live their lives , being of service to others rather trying to draw attention to who they sleep with. I for one am not interested in anyones preferences as long as they are not against what i would consider abuse of common sense. I am very capable of ignoring someones gender issues therefore , this is not ignorance on my part but a simple use of common sense , you are what you behave like , not what you tell me you are :) Having said that i hope everyone here has a chance to grow and enhance their knowledge as a Jedi and i wish love and Light to everyone here ....

More
7 years 3 months ago #270998 by Wescli Wardest
I am only speaking for myself and not as a representative of Council…

I have zero issue with people’s sexuality, and/or sexual preference. Preference is just that, preference; and, it is what it is. The only issue I have ever found is when “we”, people in general, try to label or define things. And then in turn, try to force those labels on others.

Most of the friction I have observed, and even felt on occasion, is because it is assume that I could never understand because I am not going through it or one of them or whatever stance may be taken at the moment. And, that is completely true to a certain perspective. Unless I lived that life and went through everything they did there is no way I can understand what is going on, emotionally, spiritually and physically, to that person.

I find it disturbing that it “feels” as though most of the time it is assumed that I am cis guy and therefore couldn’t understand. Disturbing because the assumption is made in the first place. Not because I am that cis guy. But my lack of first-hand experience does not limit my compassion or understanding that there is something going on with each individual. It also does not mean that I group all peoples of a similar nature. Each person is an individual and unique in their own ways and experiences.

I use the term cis because it is the socially accepted term for what people perceive me to be. But, I do not like being slapped with that label! I prefer to be called Clint, Wes, Wescli, Sir, Master, Dad, or any of the titles of endearment or names I have earned over the years. And, to have my sexual preference be left out as it has nothing at all, what-so-ever, to do with anything I have to share or have shared with by others.
;)

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #271013 by
IMHO: The sexual identity of another has no impact on my life nor should it impact anyone else's life unless you choose it to. My oldest daughter is a part of the LGBT community, and even if she wasn't, my opinion of her and love for her would be no different.
Be yourself, be TRUE to yourself, and welcome to the Order.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi