A question for the Order and the Council

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270740 by
Hi!
The question is very important, thank you to ask.
I would like to precise that :
-being LGBTQIA+ is not a "view" or a "belief",
-even if we don't care how people live their lives as long as it doesn't hurt other people for no good reason, it is important to keep in mind that LGBTQIA+ experience a lot of discrimination,
So I think it is normal to ask.
And according to the Jedi believe "In a society that does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or circumstances of birth such as gender, ethnicity and national origin.", it's important to anyone to take care about our own trend to discriminate, even if we don't want, because we born in a society with a lot discriminations. I my point of view, a Jedi have to work about him/herself in the way to be more and more inclusive and safe with minorities, and after protect them in a situation of discrimination : it's about knowledge and compassion.

"Jedi are mindful of their thoughts. We recognise the beauty in others and we provide help to those who come seeking it. Through our benevolent actions we strengthen not only ourselves but also our communities. Jedi act without prejudice" (Teaching 11)

Thank you to read,
Wind

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270741 by
Replied by on topic My Opinion
I think that this Order should be careful concerning "official stances". Official stances claimed hundreds of years ago by some religions are why they are at conflict regarding issues such as this one. I would say that we should rather stick to principles. One of which being that so long as someone's pursuit of happiness does not interfere with another's there is nothing wrong with it. So, of course the LGBT community is accepted. Any hindrance to someone else's happiness without good reason should be unacceptable. That is my opinion. Responses and especially criticisms are encouraged.

More
7 years 3 months ago #270743 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic My Opinion
Almost 5 years as a Jedi and as a part of the LGBTQ community I haven't had a problem. Individuals may crop up that disagree with my life (style), but those are few and far between and that is bound to happen with anything. In those cases, you will have a pretty strong backing while you smooth things over and then both of you come away wiser :)

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270744 by
I cannot speak for the council, but I personally don't have any issue with the LGBT community, actually I have many friends in it and as long we respect each other as individuals I am even interested on talking about it, to have more friends with this mindset and to get a deeper understanding of myself and others.

More
7 years 3 months ago #270745 by Alexandre Orion
As of today, I am the Pastor of the Order, a Councillor and am also gay.

The curious thing though is that "gay" has very little to do with my rĂ´les in the leadership of this Temple. As Leah said, the "Jedi Believe" pretty much gives the Temple of the Jedi Order's position on sexual orientation and gender matters. To me, "Jedi" is more of an adjective and not nominative. As "Jedi", my concern is the unitive ground of the Force rather than in pointing out diversities and distinctions that are merely reflexions of the the unity from a moving perspective.

I remember when LGBTQIA... was merely GLB (that was quite a while ago). What that leads to is that L isn't B, B isn't G, T isn't A... ad nauseavm. It has also been my experience that most of the recent (that is, in the last 20 years) discriminations perpetuated against 'alternative' (and I'm using the term very loosely here) sexual/gender orientations have been those of the LGBTQIA&c community against its own members... which personally, I find pretty damned ironic.

As Jedi, my concern is for Justice, and not for the objectives or promotion of any communautariste special interest group. Jedi ought to be very mindful to not engage in vain activism.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Rosalyn J, Cyan Sarden, Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270746 by
Replied by on topic My Opinion
Hi!
Thanks, to have "pretty strong backing" is very comforting.
Wind

More
7 years 3 months ago #270748 by Rosalyn J
Isn't the discrimination so odd?

I have found that in those cases I discriminate it is because I am approaching the issue from a privileged position and I think most people do this without knowing. It is then important to consider, whenever the opportunity arises, the type of privileged lenses we wear.

I want to underscore that discrimination although universally frowned upon in public, may be taught and learned in public or in private.
The potential for discrimination arises any time there is an in and an out-group. Those crop up with any differences we may have.
The important thing, and I am sure that you already know this, is to expand our bubbles, diversify our own group, don't just try to fit in where we are most comfortable. Let the diversifying feel uncomfortable for that is a sure sign of growth.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Alexandre Orion,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270749 by
TOTJO, like any other place with high ideals, invites and welcomes LGBT people. That doesn't mean everyone understands or accepts LGBT people, but as a whole this is place for one and all.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270750 by
I agree with main of what you wrote, I think that what is important for me is always seeing what is privilege and what is oppression in the world. It's my way to get to a more fair society. And it needs knowledge, rather ignorance.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #270761 by
I'm still very new here and can't speak for the order, but my individual opinion is that everybody deserves to be content with who they are. You do you and I'll do me to keep it simple. This community seems very accepting towards everyone so I would be surprised if you caught criticism here and I'm sure it would be stopped fairly quick if it did occur.

However I also believe it is people's right to disapprove in what other people believe in as long as they don't get confrontational about it. I don't believe that Christian ministers should be forced to marry a gay couple or bake them a gay wedding cake either. That is freedom of speech and very integral to my core beliefs. If those people don't accept you, find somebody that will without trying to force people to have your opinion.

Just my honest thoughts on the topic. Welcome to the community.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi