New Year

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270612 by
New Year was created by
It's time to start a new year. I think this is a good time to reflect on changes we've had throughout the year. We know that everything changes, even things we think of as lasting forever. Even monument and stone crumbles and erodes, given enough time.

As Jedi, many of us believe in learning from our experiences, and trying to improve ourselves. I've heard a lot of people say 2016 was the worst year. This year was pretty rough for me. I had a lot of bad things happen, and had a hard time emotionally. But I'm learning balance, and as I reflect, I see a lot of changes in my life that were for the better. Most of these changes happened because I took initiative. That's something I wasn't able to do before. I've done a lot to improve myself.

This year, I earned my Associate's in Computer Science, and began pursuing my Bachelor's. I began my apprenticeship, and began learning how to live with my emotions in healthier ways. I was able to join the IP team, and help a few people get the same satisfaction I did out of the IP, which helped me out in the process. I recently committed to getting my body fit, and also started learning self-defense and martial arts.

Overall, I feel like a much healthier, more balanced person than I did coming into this year.

I plan on continuing to dedicate myself to these things, but in the next year I want to begin learning how to serve and aid others. Some of the plans I have for that are to join the seminary here, and to get a certification in first aid and CPR.

So, how have you changed this year? What have you done to grow? Do you have any plans to help yourself keep growing throughout the next year?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #270648 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic New Year
Let's see, this year made Knight, I learned more about parenting, I learned a few more crafts, and I picked up three apprentices,whom I love and teach me much. I'm enjoying the IP Team (which we can always use more volunteers ;) ) And I wrote several sermons which I'm very proud of. I got myself into a position to grow as a leader which I'm excited about.

It's kind of nice looking at what I've accomplished and learned instead of the crap that's been going on lol.

I'm working on my Sr. Knighthood, finishing my Associate's Degree, and at least learning one new craft :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270662 by
Replied by on topic New Year
That's it guys? Come on!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270668 by
My new year goals are very clear, to find myself, or in other words to find my own balance. Balance I haven't had in a very long time, It was one of the reasons I came here.

My determination to reach my goals is big. Though I won't go too fast, I need to find the right pace, which one his one is a goal for Januari.

More
7 years 2 months ago #270700 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic New Year
I'm still working on my response but I'd love to see what other people have to say :laugh:

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270701 by
This past year has been eye-opening, in good ways and bad. I scarcely know where to begin.

To put it simply, I'd say the main thing I realized is my place in the world as a Jedi. I made some choices that I know were right, but sacrificed some friendships as a result. I know that a lot of people couldn't care less about my opinion after doing some of the things I did, saying some of the things I said. I don't blame anyone but myself.

I burned a lot of bridges in 2016, but built a few new ones. My hope is that 2017 leads to the repair of some I burned, but holding onto those new ones.

The thing is, TOTJO is not a place I frequently agree with, but it is also the most active and interactive Jedi site I know of, and so coming here feels a bit like coming home. Having been gone for a few weeks puts things into perspective.

Whatever you think of me, I believe the Force is with all of us, regardless of what our personal views are.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270706 by

Streen wrote: This past year has been eye-opening, in good ways and bad. I scarcely know where to begin.

To put it simply, I'd say the main thing I realized is my place in the world as a Jedi. I made some choices that I know were right, but sacrificed some friendships as a result. I know that a lot of people couldn't care less about my opinion after doing some of the things I did, saying some of the things I said. I don't blame anyone but myself.

I burned a lot of bridges in 2016, but built a few new ones. My hope is that 2017 leads to the repair of some I burned, but holding onto those new ones.

The thing is, TOTJO is not a place I frequently agree with, but it is also the most active and interactive Jedi site I know of, and so coming here feels a bit like coming home. Having been gone for a few weeks puts things into perspective.

Whatever you think of me, I believe the Force is with all of us, regardless of what our personal views are.

That's the point of this thread, Streen. We all change. Everything we experience, everything we learn, helps to shape us. I wanted to give everybody the opportunity to look at how far they've come, and explore where they'd like to go.

More
7 years 2 months ago #270708 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic New Year
2016 was a bad year for me. In 2013, I had begun to pursue a monastic way of life and was in the process of committing myself to such an existence. I met a girl however, fell in love, and set those aspirations aside in favor of pursuing a life spent with her. From 2013 - 2016, our relationship became increasingly more complicated as she became increasingly verbally and physically abusive. We both suffered from the same form of mental health conditions, but where as I took treating mine seriously, she did not feel compelled to be as responsible about her own illness.

She offered me a place to stay when I was experiencing homelessness, however the more I look back and reflect on the things that were happening at that time, the more I can see that she did so as a means to have total manipulative control over me. She pitted me against my family and friends, whom she accused of "not caring" about me, and often held the fact that she took me in as some form of eternal debt that I would always owe her.

My health and well being stagnated, as I was prevented from being able to pursue the proper medical, therapeutic, and psychiatric care which I needed in order to once again reach a point of stability. Her demands that I work full time at jobs which negatively impacted my overall health, not only restricted the kind of treatment I had access too, but also further degraded my overall state.

Eventually, the abuse came to such a point where I had to leave her, our shared apartment, and the majority of my worldly possessions behind and start over. For the third time in my life, I was starting once again with nothing. I was fortunate enough that family offered to temporarily take me in until I could save up enough to get a place of my own again.

Because of all this, I see that departing from the monastic path I intended to adhere to was a mistake. My pursuit of worldly desires brought me pain, suffering, and regressed progress I had made in years prior.

With the initiation of the new year, I'm once again pursuing the path of a force monk. There are no monasteries or religious communities for force monks however, so for the foreseeable future this will be essentially a self-imposed existence of religious asceticism.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270709 by
A year ago right now I was still working on the IP. Little did I know that I would be in an apprenticeship with an amazing teaching master just six weeks later. In that time I knuckled down and finished the IP, I learned a few things about myself. I learned that I'm more courageous and determined than I had really realised. I knew those qualities were in me, but when I actually take stock of my life and the things that led me to this point last year, I am frankly amazed at myself. It's one of those things you can't see when you're doing it, but when you look back over your shoulder and take a good hard look at it, things become much more clear.

I quit drinking for the six weeks I finished the IP and became an apprentice. I did this only to give myself (and my liver) a break. I had been living a pretty carefree life after selling the house and leaving my job and just coasting by on savings. By the time Christmas was over and New Years Eve was looming, I knew I had to take charge of my life and start getting sensible. So I vowed that from January 2-February 15th I would be a total teetotaler. Having the 100 Days of Discipline challenge, and the IP to complete made this period of time fairly easy to stay accountable. In that time, though, I learned that I don't like waking up with a headache. Mornings after a night of not drinking were just easier, and my sleep quality was much better when I wasn't drinking the night before. Since then, I've gone back to drinking, but in a more respectful way, and I certainly know when I've had enough now. Sometimes I want to have a beer or a glass of wine, but then I think to myself that I'd rather get a good sleep and have a better day the next day, so the cost of having it is just too great. That's something I didn't do until I took a few steps back.

I also learned that I love having a puppy in my life again. I got Kalvin in the middle of March, and although I had some initial pangs of remorse with the frustration of housetraining, and even more than that the sense of responsibility for another life, now that I'm past that, I find myself missing him when I'm at work. And it's just so cute when he snuggles up to me when he's tired and groans and sighs before he goes to sleep.

I learned that sometimes you do have to take advantage of an opportunity when it comes along. My search for work in my new city was going nowhere, so I looked at returning to school in September. After I had accepted my offer of admission (and was feeling really excited about returning to university to finish my degree in public health), another option was presented to me out of the blue. A friend I had worked with years ago at a pet store when we were in our early 20s offered me a paid apprenticeship in a field I had never really thought about: Hairstyling. I had to give it some thought, but I meditated on it and gave it some serious consideration. In the end I decided it would be good for me to learn a new skill, and so I decided to accept her offer. So here I am now 20 weeks into an apprenticeship for something I'm struggling to get good at, but loving being back at work with a long lost friend who makes me laugh almost the entire time I'm there. That brings me to the second thing I've learned about work: the environment. I can see now looking back on my long list of jobs in my 28 years in the workforce how much the environment of the workplace matters more to me than the actual work being done. I realise now I could be doing the most menial task, but if I'm with people who are committed to doing great work, who enjoy each other's company, and who approach what they do with personal and professional integrity, I am happy. It's not really what I'm doing that matters to me, anymore. It's who I'm doing it with that makes the difference.

Most importantly I've learned that real and lasting friendships can be made online. There are people here I would do almost anything for, and they know who they are. Tacos for everyone! Wheeeeeee!

Happy New Year, everybody.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270715 by
In 2016 I learned it was ok to be more aggressive and assertive. I learned it was in fact necessary in order to keep my own sanity and happiness. As a result, I've been earning a new nick name in my outside circles as "Mama Constance" (Yes, Den Mother Badger from Redwall :-p) or for short "Mama C."

I also got my Concealed Licence Carry and trained all fall in handling both Pistol and Rifle. I learned a new love and respect for the loud weapons and found it to be a practice I think I will enjoy this year in the summer.

And I have been constantly reminded why it is I do the things I do. Write Stories, stay inside the privacy of my own home life, and focus on things that make ME happy....not make others happy. I found that by taking care of myself and my needs and my selfish happiness....others around me seem happier.

This year I hope to finish the first true rough draft of my Just Jedi Training Manual and get my first 10 testers to review it.

Otherwise.....Just do Me.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi