Public
7 years 2 months ago #270402 by
Replied by on topic The moral of the Star Wars story
Who was right in the end?
What is right in this story?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #270406 by Manu

baru wrote: Is that a noble goal - self sacrifice? Is that a world that we want to live in where we are expected to sacrifice ourselves?

Who said anything about expected? The main characters had everyone they loved taken from them. Being able to "stick it to the man" and dying, was better than a long life of submission.

baru wrote: What about all the Imperial troops that died protecting the deathstar - doing their duty?

What about them?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #270408 by steamboat28
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by steamboat28.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #270421 by

JamesSand wrote: Which reminds me, I may have to watch it again - but I'm not sure that anyone actually emphasises that the Empire is a bad thing?

The empires brutality and totalitarian regime is clearly established in previous works. They dont have a dental program, they collect the gold fillings of the dead. The troopers dont retire when they get wounded and collect disability. They are cloned slaves and are simply recycled.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270422 by

baru wrote: Is that a noble goal - self sacrifice? Is that a world that we want to live in where we are expected to sacrifice ourselves?

What about all the Imperial troops that died protecting the deathstar - doing their duty?

There are sacrifices on both sides - all sides?

Darth Vader had a few sacrifices himself.

Yes in fact it is the ultimate nobility and it does not matter what kind of world we "want" to live in, we are still stuck living in this one. A world where suffering is enevitable and we will always have to fight for our right to live the way we want.

Troopers were just cloned slaves in that fight so they dont count. In fact we know very little about whether if they could even function as humans outside of their prescribed combat roles. As for vader he brought his suffering upon himself, no one elses fault but his own and he must live with the consequences of that as we all do with the choices we make.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270502 by

baru wrote: What is the moral of the story?
I feel that for over the last 10 - 5 years, movies don't seem to have a "moral" - a reason for being made, a purpose, a message. I feel like these movies are made simply to entertain us and distract us. We have lost art for a purpose and fully accept art for art's sake.

As much as I love art, I want it to be purposeful otherwise its just "bread and circuses" to keep the masses dosed with soma.

When I listen to and read all the reviews of Rogue one - not one person references the moral of the story. What was the purpose of this movie besides to make a billion dollars?

What is be-careful for what you wish for ?
you become what you destroy?
We are reflections of each other?
Everything comes at a coast?

What do you think is the moral or message of Rogue one?

What did you think the moral of Rogue One was? Who did you think was right? And what compelled you to come to your conclusion?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270630 by
I rather live for my beliefs than die for them. When a person dies for a cause, they have no idea how the cause will continue without them. So they sacrific their life for the cause, but what happens to the cause?

Kyrin,
Would you rather live for something or die for it?

The troopers are just as alive as the rebels.
Why do we get to hate the troopers and love rebels - rebels are killing people too.
In the stories, there are many troopers that work for the empire because rebels killed their family.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270652 by
I will live for anything i truly hold sacred in my life... until it becomes necessary to die for it. And then I would lay down my life in defense of that cause. The cause is not about me. It does not live and die with me. The cause is about others. This is an ultimate act of selflessness, sacrificing everything so that others may enjoy something entitled to all humanity.

As for hating troopers and loving rebels, we hate the troopers because the represent evil and we love the rebels because they represent good. Star Wars is not real life and so we get to put them in these roles of absolute black and white, thats all there is to it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #270669 by
I found Rogue One extremely average. Just above a 3/5 rating.

I think if you're going after some deep meaning in it, you're missing the point somewhat. It's a studio movie filling in some blanks in an existing canon, it doesn't pretend to contain any more deep truths than any other action or war film. War is hell, loyalty is both terrifying and beautiful, in the unlikely event you encounter a truly Saturday-morning-comic evil in the real world, do whatever you can to stop it even at the cost of your own life. There's nothing new there.

If we go a little deeper what I can only perceive as holes begin to emerge. The murkiness of the Rebel Alliance and how it operates is evidently just there to add a little grit to the characters, not to introduce any real moral ambiguity. In the end it makes zero difference, the goodies remain good, the baddies remain bad. The motivations of the main villains remains opaque, they want to crush the rebellion because they do and that's that, they have no vision that they are creating something good, no argument that the Rebels have a differing philosophy or worldview. The Empire wants a weapon which can crush insurrection "just because". Good and bad sit on poles and any motion towards greyness is instantly forgiven and forgotten.

It's silly, honestly - which is not to say it's unrealistic, most wars are silly. But yeah, it's silly that the only way these people can deal with their problems is by killing one another.

And in this case, that silliness is fine. It's a movie about a big space gun. But that's all it is.

Reality and the best of the Star Wars Saga films are considerably more nuanced. Enjoy this film for what it is, just because it exists within a universe where moral stories have been told, doesn't mean it necessarily revolves around one itself.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #270705 by
As with most movies and stories, what matters is the change that the main character experiences. If he/she doesn't change in some important way, then there is no moral to the story. Jyn, for example, went from being rebellious against authority and caring mainly just about herself, to her ultimate self-sacrifice in the end for a cause.

What is the moral? Usually it's that even the most unlikely of people can do something important. In fact, that seems to be the moral of every Star Wars story.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi