Star Wars accurate training

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269835 by
Replied by on topic Star Wars accurate training

leia wrote:
I'm not discounting real-world practices (including ancient forms and modern ones). I'm saying that we can't teach laser swords and telekinesis as they appear in the Star Wars franchise, and that what is shown on screen is not martial arts, but choreography inspired by martial arts.

While i agree with the telekinesis part the "choreography" you speak of is actually a valid form of teaching martial arts commonly referred to as forms or "kata". It is through this that combat techniques are learned.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #269839 by Leah Starspectre

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

leia wrote:
I'm not discounting real-world practices (including ancient forms and modern ones). I'm saying that we can't teach laser swords and telekinesis as they appear in the Star Wars franchise, and that what is shown on screen is not martial arts, but choreography inspired by martial arts.

While i agree with the telekinesis part the "choreography" you speak of is actually a valid form of teaching martial arts commonly referred to as forms or "kata". It is through this that combat techniques are learned.

That assumes that everyone on screen in the Star Wars franchise who uses a lightsaber is in martial arts training. While some, like Ray Park, are martial artists, the majority are performers. Performers learn choreography.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269860 by

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

leia wrote:

That assumes that everyone on screen in the Star Wars franchise who uses a lightsaber is in martial arts training. While some, like Ray Park, are martial artists, the majority are performers. Performers learn choreography.

Actually every light saber weilder in the movies have all undergone extensive martial arts training for their roles. Another example of art emulating life!

More
7 years 4 months ago #269871 by Leah Starspectre

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

leia wrote:

Actually every light saber weilder in the movies have all undergone extensive martial arts training for their roles. Another example of art emulating life!

There's a big difference between learning to emulate something for an acting role and actually studying it. Its called method acting. Saying that Star Wars actors got extensive martial arts training is comparable to Natalie Portman's ballet training before Black Swan, or Sylvester Stallone in Rocky.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269878 by

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

leia wrote:

There's a big difference between learning to emulate something for an acting role and actually studying it. Its called method acting. Saying that Star Wars actors got extensive martial arts training is comparable to Natalie Portman's ballet training before Black Swan, or Sylvester Stallone in Rocky.

How easily you discount the efforts of others in comparison to your own path.

More
7 years 4 months ago #269881 by JamesSand

I don't know that Ewan McGregor got out of it, I'm sure it was all good in many ways, but he undertook the training, in whatever form, for filmmaking purposes.

No one is "dissing" any actor's ability or success or internal or external achievements - just pondering the differences between following martial training for various reasons, and the depth and methods of obtaining the skills.

In any case, aside from finding reasons to bicker and win debate points on (what is at least in my country) a public holiday, we're way off the point here - discussing movie production values rather than jedi training options.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

More
7 years 4 months ago #269884 by Leah Starspectre

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

leia wrote:

This isn't about me and my path.

But if you need my credentials, one of my undergrads was in theatre, and know a thing or two about acting.

But back to the original topic: "accurate Star Wars training" is movie magic and not real. If you want to learn martial arts, there are hundreds of forms out there that you can choose from, traditional and modern, many of which inspired the combat styles in Star Wars.

Jedi as they are in Star Wars are not also not real. If you're inspired by their spirituality and morality, you can look into Buddhism, Taoism, or any of the spiritual paths that inspired Star Wars - or Jediism, which was inspired by Star Wars.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #269885 by
My point being is there any "bad" reasons to undertake anything such as martial arts training? No matter whether it was for a movie or enlightenment? The path may be different but in the end is the goal?

More
7 years 4 months ago #269886 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Star Wars accurate training
It's about movement I think, and so that might translate across to measures of predictability and unpredictability. Predictable might be very important for acting, but not so good for actual dueling. Such a fundamental distinction might have real relevance in discussing training besides the real physical benefits from exercise, timing, awareness.

It might be why my 'forms' are modes of perception and not set kata. Though its pointless to have mind only if you never train body as well so I don't pretend to be an authority because I don't do much on the body side, so just adding my 2 cents on it!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
7 years 3 months ago #271464 by J. K. Barger
Centaur:

I'm glad you are enjoying it!

I think The Jedi Path has very valuable material- especially on the theoretical foundations of the Force, the description of Jedi meditation(s), and the themes of "Control, Sense, and Alter" in Force Training.

While some of us use SW to delve back into the systems that inspired it ( I have seen it make better Buddhists and Christians- which I wholeheartedly support), I choose to let it inspire me beyond, using the mythos in a metaphorically and often realistic manner to delineate, explore, and refine my own faith and formal explorations of that mysterious momentum of the universe known colloquially as the Force.

Plus, Jedi have really cool robes :P

As for the lightsaber material, I've always fancied that Teras Kasi might look something like a sword-less version of the Forms.

Now if only someone knew kung-fu and Kenjutsu...

The Force is with you, always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi