Star Wars accurate training

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269735 by
I know that TOTJO really doesnt have much to do with the Star Wars films themselves, but i have been training in accordance with the book "The jedi path", and id like to know your opinion on film-accurate training. There are some stark differences between film Jedi and TOTJO jedi, and i feel that these differences are important.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269738 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Star Wars accurate training
I do try to use whatever I can in my own path, if it works, but its not dictated by the fiction and most of the fiction is not relevant to me. The beauty of fiction is you can make your own and also ignore as much as required without breaking anything. But it does not constitute my path, which itself is based on science, experience and exploration.... in my own way which then transcends across the whole body, mind, spirit domains.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brontyn

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269739 by
Replied by on topic Star Wars accurate training
I find most of what is in the book to apply in real life, so i only consider it partly fiction.

More
7 years 3 months ago #269742 by Leah Starspectre

Centaur66 wrote: I find most of what is in the book to apply in real life, so i only consider it partly fiction.

This can be said of an awful lot of books that are 100% fiction, because fiction is inspired by reality.

We are not affiliated with the Star Wars franchise (which is where "The Jedi Path" is from). Instead, we draw from the real-life sources that inspired Star Wars.

What you believe is up to you, but don't mistake what we do here for science-fiction. There are myriad actual martial arts that you can learn rather than lightsaber forms, and carefully-crafted IP and apprenticeship programs rather than Jedi Trials.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269817 by

Leah wrote: . There are myriad actual martial arts that you can learn rather than lught saber forms.

Do you not consider the saber forms created by actual martial artists and based on many traditional sword forms as true martial arts forms then?

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269820 by Leah Starspectre

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Leah wrote: . There are myriad actual martial arts that you can learn rather than lught saber forms.

Do you not consider the saber forms created by actual martial artists and based on many traditional sword forms as true martial arts forms then?

The lightsaber training as explained in The Jedi Path is fictional. They involve swordplay based on real forms, sure, but also telekinesis, and other supernatural powers. We don't do that here.

EDIT: Also, the lightsaber battles in the film are choreographed. It's more like a dance than an actual form of combat.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269821 by
I practiced kendo for a bit and like any martial art it can be meditative and offer a lot of personal growth and reflection.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269822 by

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

The lightsaber training as explained in The Jedi Path is fictional. They involve swordplay based on real forms, sure, but also telekinesis, and other supernatural powers. We don't do that here.

EDIT: Also, the lightsaber battles in the film are choreographed. It's more like a dance than an actual form of combat.

So your speaking of forms as defined just within the mythology. You were not clear on that. But even so wasnt it because of the mytholology that real life forms were created? In fact was it not because of the mythology that Jediism itself was created. The real life spiritual path evolved out of a fictional mythology that evolved out of ancient real life spiritual paths. Can we truely discount any hub in that wheel and still justify our path in pursuit of the title of Jedi Knight at this temple?

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269831 by Leah Starspectre

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Leah Starspectre wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

So your speaking of forms as defined just within the mythology. You were not clear on that. But even so wasnt it because of the mytholology that real life forms were created? In fact was it not because of the mythology that Jediism itself was created. The real life spiritual path evolved out of a fictional mythology that evolved out of ancient real life spiritual paths. Can we truely discount any hub in that wheel and still justify our path in pursuit of the title of Jedi Knight at this temple?

I'm not discounting real-world practices (including ancient forms and modern ones). I'm saying that we can't teach laser swords and telekinesis as they appear in the Star Wars franchise, and that what is shown on screen is not martial arts, but choreography inspired by martial arts.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269834 by JamesSand

Maybe, maybe not.
It could be a worthy discussion.

That said, the statement as I read it more or less meant "Trying to learn a Martial Art from the brief explanations of Sabre Forms in the Jedi Path book is probably a bit challenging"

I understand that places *do* teach some Sabre forms - how much they vary from
A. Existing well known forms, but with lighty-swords!

B. The rough descriptions of Light Sabre combat we know from the fiction

is unknown to me, as I've never looked too deeply into it.

I have passable skill with a fire staff - Give me a lightsabre and I'm sure I can make a reasonable attempt at something that looks cool (Maybe? I suspect the weight distribution of a lightsabre is the exact opposite of a fire staff, which could be interesting)

It won't be martial arts, and it won't be light sabre forms, but it would take balance, coordination and practice - One would argue it fills the same spiritual and physical development niche under a different name - however as I said - It's not either of the two aforementioned things, so I call it what it is. The same rule should be applied to any other approximation or in-lieu of activity if you're chasing a "Star Wars accurate" jedi experience.

I think you meant Spoke rather than Hub.
We all knew exactly what you meant, but the cycle-repairman inside me is having conniptions
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by JamesSand.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi