• Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 3 months ago #269111 by Brenna
TOTJO Volunteer Corp was created by Brenna
The charity commission has sparked a number of discussions about what we DO as a group that is of public benefit and Ive seen more that one person express an interest in doing volunteer work as Jedi.

In chat we talked about the idea of a volunteer corp, people willing to do volunteer hours or community service as a recognized member of the Temple.

Thoughts?

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, J. K. Barger, Zenchi, Cyan Sarden, Loudzoo, Rex, Leah Starspectre and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #269113 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
I believe if we'd like to be recognized as being charitable (which basically is at the core of our belief system - in which way is up for debate, of course), we should do so publicly. I really support that idea.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269116 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
I think its a great idea. On one hand you are benefitting the community and on the other raising the profile of Totjo as a charity.
Volunteering helps yourself as well as helping others and showing that this is not just a website and we are actively doing what we believe.
You may not even have to explain to anyone what Totjo is just state that your giving back, as totjo has given to you.
In time, energy

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269118 by
I agree. Most organizations, charitable or religious, have people willing to volunteer, to do things in their communities. I think that it will go a long way to showing that not only are the people here serious about what they practice, the organization itself is attempting to do some good with what resources it has. Which is literally pretty much, just people right now.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269119 by
I think it's a fantastic idea. It will also be interesting to see how lone Jedi (meaning, they are the only one in their part of the world) tend to contribute. Would love to see a running thread with all the contributions to community by Jedi from around the world.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269122 by
Great idea !

More
7 years 3 months ago #269124 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp

Jedi Druid wrote: I think it's a fantastic idea. It will also be interesting to see how lone Jedi (meaning, they are the only one in their part of the world) tend to contribute. Would love to see a running thread with all the contributions to community by Jedi from around the world.

Which raises a good point - it's much easier to appear in public if you're in a group. Takes a lot of guts to do so on your own. I think it'd be essential to have some coordinated approach to this if we want to be seen as TotJO and not "just" as individuals doing charitable work (nothing at all against the latter, of course)

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269125 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic TOTJO Volunteer Corp
Well, that's not too hard to work out. And could give us a good reason to encourage more contact between local groups.

For example, earlier this year one of our Texan Jedi posted that he was doing a charity fun run and was looking for participants. It was very last minute when he shared it so I wasn't able to be there, but if I had known a couple days in advance I would have taken my whole family and done it with him.

Simple things like identifying something that's going on in your area and letting the Jedi nearest you know could be a great way to start.

But even individuals make an impact. If you're volunteering somewhere, wear your TOTJO patch (I know a great Jedi who makes them!) Get a couple pictures, share it with the temple.

Start as you are.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269127 by
When I volunteer with the bank I work for they have me wear a shirt that says that I'm a volunteer and that I'm with the bank. Obviously being a bank it's better funded, but if the point is to draw attention to the fact that it's TOTJO Jedi volunteering that would be a route to take. There needs to be something that identifies the volunteers as coming from TOTJO, otherwise it's no different than how things are now.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269130 by

Goken wrote: When I volunteer with the bank I work for they have me wear a shirt that says that I'm a volunteer and that I'm with the bank. Obviously being a bank it's better funded, but if the point is to draw attention to the fact that it's TOTJO Jedi volunteering that would be a route to take. There needs to be something that identifies the volunteers as coming from TOTJO, otherwise it's no different than how things are now.

The easiest way of identifying us in person is T-Shirts.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi