• Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • Founder of The Order
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267119 by Br. John
by ANNALEE NEWITZ

As we continue forward into the twenty-first century, we need to take seriously the fact that every aspect of our lives has an online component, whether we like it or not. There is no such thing as an exclusively online movement or social experience. Our real lives, what we do in the streets, are wired into computer networks. The way those networks are run and the rules that govern them are explicitly political.

That means our civic responsibilities don't end the instant we log into Snapchat or Reddit. What we do online matters. It can change the course of people's lives and shift the balance of power in a nation. The sooner we take responsibility for what that means, the better.

Continue reading at https://arstechnica.com/staff/2016/12/stop-pretending-theres-a-difference-between-online-and-real-life/

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Manu, Damion_Storm, Alexandre Orion, Tarran, Cyan Sarden, Leah Starspectre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #267131 by JamesSand
I don't mind the bit you posted about civic responsibility.

The rest of the article doesn't ride well with me...

Nothing makes this more obvious than the little chunks of online identities we all carry in our pockets all the time.

Speak for yourself. I'm Organic :)

Our homes, our baby monitors, our cars,

Nope, Nope, Nope. :)

angry mobs driving people off Twitter with death threats, or maniacs swatting Twitch gamers. The point is, people are harmed in a fundamental way by online trolls.

Don't be online. It's quite optional. You can access the great majority of necessary information without having an online "person" that can be attacked or or abused in the way the article suggests.

Another big difference between online and real life: It costs very little to add another article to a website, so authors don't have to work as hard to get their rambling published ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 4 months ago #267139 by Carlos.Martinez3
From one who has already taken responsibility in this aspect I feel the authors weight. In my study I find nothing " exclusive" . ( I am a subscriber to the idea that ever human has the ability to reach their full potential. ) This place here is my only social media. I know how do I survive right.... But I do and its not surviving its called living. There are a lot of avalible ideas that keep or attention. Being ...wary... As our common idea here and can be very helpful to remeber that. Lives to a Jedi matter ... Not labels...what u do , say...matters...no mater location. Thank u for a good reminder Bro John. May the Force continue to find you and thanks for sharing with! May you find blessing for blessing me and my family with this .

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Cyan Sarden

More
7 years 4 months ago #267146 by Alexandre Orion
This is something that we've talked about before. It isn't a "new" phenomenon nor is it exclusively electronic...

The article brings up a pretty interesting subject which many (if not 'most') of us do not think about, that being just how much computer networks have become an inextricable part of the foundations of civilisation. I'm sorry, James, but taking part in civilisation is not all that optional. Surely, we can decide whether to discuss things with people on social media, but we cannot move to the moon (and indeed one would have to probably go farther away than that) which would be the only way to get off that foundation : to totally remove oneself from the civilisation that we are all dependent on. Even if one does not have a mobile, or a computer, one still works somewhere - or has a living revenue from some source -, a bank account, buys the things one needs and many things one does not ... All these are dependent on the information net that infrastructure has been shifting into for the last couple of generations.

I was thinking about this with regard to the job that I currently do : it could go back to being entirely written on paper and everything being more or less 'matter' (please - let's not get off into the virtual nature of 'matter' just yet ... that's a marginally related topic). But then, it is a public, cultural establishment that is utterly dependent on financing from the city, département and région, as well as recettes from particular contribuables (the ones using the service), which are all part of that on-line, networked, cyber-representational structure. Even material resources as simple as pens and paperclips are ordered, tracked, accepted and payed for with a very heavy element of on-line transactions.

This is not a moral issue. We can't get off into a catch-22 paralysing moral relativistic circle jerk about how this all infringes on our liberty. As technology becomes more refined and precise, we have to be more clever about the surveillance of how it is used. Take for instance, do we want un-monitored private 3D printers churning out unregistered ceramic fire-arms ? Actually, this particular danger and the ones mentioned in the article are probably the least sinister of our digital-world risks.

What I personally consider the most horrible risk of all is that we just start considering one another as sims. We build relationships with on-line personalities - some of whom we actually meet and can know in off-line life (hence the fuzzy distinction) - and because of the quasi-constant electronic connectivity, we get hypnotised into regarding our interactions with human beings as apps that we can choose or not to run. It is an assault on our sincerity and our honesty -- not to mention that it can inflate our own egos to utter dissipation. Much of our social organisation - even from before the virtual enhancement - has been conventionalised in the post-modern mentality wherein the re-presentation and its sign-value is more important than what the 'present'-ation (if possible) and its symbolic-value might be.

In other, more simple terms, we're running the risk of giving our most cherished human relationships (including those with enemies) up to the same reality as the characters of video games. Certainly, for a while, that has been a 'safer' way of crafting a more comfortable identity ... it most likely won't stay that 'safe' (hackers and viruses notwithstanding). We need to stop protecting ourselves with 'safe' relationships and start living through some of the stuff in our humanity that hurts, without which we stop living human lives.

That, to my mind (fevered though it may be) is the more hazardous risk that we encourons by making a segregation between "on-line" and "off-line" Life. There is none of that : social life, professional life, private life, love life ... that is all codswabble -- it's all just Life. Without recognising this, it won't matter if we're in a Stone Age or an Information Age, we'll be just as deadly to one another as dead ourselves ...

Sorry to be so glum. ;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Manu, Avalon, Rex

More
7 years 4 months ago #267148 by Amaya
To me online isnt real life, while my words are here on the screen, whatever I put online isnt who I am totally.
While lots of things are online the majority of my actually life has nothing to do with computers or online interactions.
This thr people I meet online will never be 'real' to me in a way that people I meet in life are and no offence but those I have met from interactions on the net are not always the personality they present.

It would be healthier and better to keep in mind that words arent a person get outside and actually live

Saying that I wouldnt put people down online because I still understand that there is a person behind the screen, I just dont feel anything for them like I would if we met offline where I could see, hear and get to know them.

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267151 by
Sword Art Online

Its a pretty good representation of "Online Vs Offline"

One part in particular that brings it home....Online, your avatar can die a thousand times over. But it will never be like dying for the first and only time in real life.

Simply put...It dosn't matter how advanced and integrated modern technology brings our persona's in an Online or Offline environment. We could be fully submerged into it just like Sword Art Online and never have the same experience or expectations as we would Offine.

Naturally that does not give us an excuse to purposefully forget our manners and Conducts.

But I simply must insist. There IS a difference.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267157 by Alexandre Orion
One more, then I'm off to another, more tangible part of my virtual-ness ... :P

Elizabeth and Trisskar, what both of you have remarked is true from quite particular points of view. When we enlarge the topic though, we come up with a dilemma that is very similar to the chicken and the egg question : are our lives becoming "virtual" because we're dependent on - perhaps living in - the technology that we've developed ( "we" as a society, that is ), or did we (ibid) as a society develop this technology just because we have been slipping away from the real experience of living for already a very long time ?

Even what we present to people in face-to-face meetings is often a re-presentation of particular degrees of specific values (sign-value, to be sure) in such combinations as to elicit desired responses from others engaged in the same theatre. Of course it is evident that an on-line avatar's "death" can occur again and again because there is nothing really dying there. It is merely a data-set that can be re-booted, re-run ... and where different variables are introduced, different choices made (yet all within the framework of possibilities of the system) then the virtual experience can be re-experienced according to multiple variations. As it were, the only "death" we can somewhat vicariously experience is that of an avatar because we will no longer be living to experience our own physical, organic one. That is just an experience we won't "have". We will die, but it will not be an experience in the évolutif sense of the term.

So, perhaps we ought to consider how we experience other things -- the things which indeed alter our world-views. That is why I'm concerned by how we may be seeing others as sims, or applications. This is, I feel, a more costly risk (with little payoff) than actually dying. It is a risk whereby, if not understood, may strengthen our "avatars" on-line at the expense of our off-line "avatars". If you take my meaning there. We do not want to have better imaginary lives than truly lived ones.

The thing is, I'm curious as to what point we haven't already - for a few generations now - already been seeing (real) Life as very much like that ? We seem to have established a lot of parameters by which we "define" normal and abnormal, good and bad, moral and immoral, all of this barely afloat on the quicksand of "culture" ... in other words, we've got a lot off value-judgements that determine our choices that we feel quite proudly "free" to make. We can always come up with a convincing (to ourselves anyway) justifying argument for explaining why we have made particular choices concerning others, but - like you said - it is difficult to re-run the programme and choose otherwise. In that way, we end up changing human, living relationships about the same way as we change telephone operators -- based on who has the better deal and what we can get from the "service". Others, even intimate ones, have become "virtual" ; to re-run the programme and choose otherwise (or not) can only be done by changing the 'Others'.

Materialism offers this up as a viable conduct. It seems sort of ironic that this particular - quite refutable - model of the world would end up de-materialising to perpetuate its value system. I think that it is going to prove to be like enantiodromia on crack ... :lol:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267158 by
The author of the article has some rather bias views due to there own reliance of technology and the interdependency which technology provides any user the feeling of inclusiveness. The internet however in my opinion is a landscape of infinite strife. It is chaos theory personified. While in some ways it promotes inclusiveness and Unity, that of course is a matter speculative thought. To quote Charlie Chaplin in the Great dictator

"We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical; our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. The airplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men; cries out for universal brotherhood; for the unity of us all."

During his time, this was a factor that was recognized during the industrial revolution. Without adherence to the virtues of fortitude and temperance we would be consumed by the lacking. Today we see how the internet follows no pattern other than that of strife. One man's hero is another man's villain. It has allowed the fearful a place to air their ideologies. A place where unity can be found, be it whatever the cause. It allows for stances that illicit all humanly emotions available.

Outside the amalgamation of a song lacking harmony, in the real world there is a much differing set of rules and governing principles. To speak plain, people are more reserved to some degree. Those who would attack and prey on others find themselves without the power to do such. The opposite can be said of those who feel passionately on things not being so vocal on said subject due to physical confrontation.

As time goes by, we will see however the discourse of the internet become more and more real in the outer world. We are already seeing it. People watch concerts, sunsets, and births through the screen of phone rather than creating natural neurons to form memories. This will cause further thought on how our lives are content for others to partake in for enjoyment rather than what it means to be us. We will also see a jubilation of people encouraging all types of emotions, The sad thing being more relevant to pain and discomfort rather than joy and celebration.

The difference between digital and real world is slowly decaying away to a new social norm. I however find solace in the fact that much like real life, it is the responsibility of the person on how they choose to interact with it. The Author of the Op-Ed piece truly feigned their own ignorance in disinformation and the masses believing it. It takes the responsibility of the individual to seek out truth, and not necessarily what placates their own sense of security. The current sometimes runs strong and rapid.

I thank you Brother John for sharing this thought invoking article and its affect it has had on us today.

I leave you with another piece of media to disseminate

Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267161 by
Particular Points of View....Yes. But isn't that what you are doing as well? :) We can expand, broaden, and generalize ideals as far as we want...They are still limited within the particular mind frame divided between you and me, as we both think, feel, and understand things very differently. We could spend all day breaking down singularities of events, things, constructs and well....Particular points of views haha XD

Everything we encounter in life will have an influence in our future engagement past said encounter. Especially when it is repetitive. Taking online environments and correlating them with real life events (The Sims effect as your calling it) is a natural reaction. Just like taking Offline expectations of our social reality and assuming that goes for everyone you chat with online ((Culture barriers))

It is only natural for bleed overs to occur.

This does not make the two the same though. It just makes our "Cultural Trends" change.

More
7 years 4 months ago #267228 by JamesSand

In other, more simple terms, we're running the risk of giving our most cherished human relationships (including those with enemies) up to the same reality as the characters of video games. Certainly, for a while, that has been a 'safer' way of crafting a more comfortable identity ... it most likely won't stay that 'safe' (hackers and viruses notwithstanding). We need to stop protecting ourselves with 'safe' relationships and start living through some of the stuff in our humanity that hurts, without which we stop living human lives.

I can get on board with that.

Growing up on the mean streets of the real world, grazed knees and all - I like to believe rightly or wrongly, that my cherished human relationships are, within the bounds of good taste, "honest" and "real"

I don't doubt the skills, and experience, of the "new kids" may be very different. For all I know, they feel about face-to-face (with the smells, frictions and all the other good stuff that comes with it) relationships as I do about text based ones.

Which as you say, could (and probably already does) cause some curious events to occur.

What was my other thought?

Oh yes, real life isn't real life.

We have to be careful not to romanticise the "real world" in comparison to the "online world"

I spend a great deal of my time (let's make up a number and say 74%) in the "real world" faking it. I have a job, I shop at...shopping places. I have to meet all sorts of government regulatory bullshit in order to be allowed to live in this country.
All of these require me to act as appropriate for the circumstances.

It's not devilry, it is, as someone said, civilisation - Imagining the real world is more "pure" than the the interwebs is something someone who never lived in the real world would do.

(This next bit is just me having giggle-fits)

Even if one does not have a mobile, or a computer, one still works somewhere - or has a living revenue from some source

Not necessarily, but for me that's true, and, oh look, you even mentioned my income sources in your post :laugh:

Take for instance[...] un-monitored private 3D printers[...]

All these are dependent on the information net [...]infrastructure.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi