Why Talking is Lying

More
7 years 5 months ago #265173 by Br. John
Muslims, bankers, liberals – we use some terms so automatically, we don’t realize they are actually little lies of language. And little lies have a way of turning into big lies.

by Rob Wijnberg

Why talking is lying

"Every concept arises from the equation of unequal things.”

This statement by the hammer-wielding philosopher has been running through the back of my mind for a while – sometimes putting things reassuringly into perspective, more often constituting a despairing conclusion. (The German writer and philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche earned this sobriquet because of his scathing attacks on cherished cultural values.)

It’s from Friedrich Nietzsche’s 1873 essay “On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense” and is part of a discussion of how language misleads us. Not only do we blithely overgeneralize in making judgments about the world; worse, the words we use to do so are themselves grotesque generalizations about the world they profess to describe.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

https://thecorrespondent.com/3967/why-talking-is-lying/101674210-aaa3b87d

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Ben, Zenchi, Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #265178 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Why Talking is Lying
Are you sure "lie" is the word and not "inaccuracy"? Lying implies intended deceit. But much of this topic seems to concern natural misunderstanding more than intended deceit.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 5 months ago #265179 by Carlos.Martinez3
Thanks bro John for this gem. I am a practitioner of my own "sword" (words) and how I use them. Obviously the writers focus is evident. I do try my hardest to result better character in mom's ts of question, so there's no question.
Some one asked me my " support" of a campaign running around and I simply stated if to me all life maters , your label, gets it the way. Too be able to acknowledge things like this exist the sooner we ,if its our choice, can cogntitivly reframe our minds to think and see ...different.
So... I got if its in our speach...maybe our speach should be ...adjusted , i did and I reap, REAP the benefits to being pr e- prepared for moments or " words, and phrases that do more harm.
Peace and many blessing to you Bro.John ! After ,3 years I still love this place ,! I'm still growing ,!
I LIKEthis place!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
7 years 5 months ago #265180 by Carlos.Martinez3

Proteus wrote: Are you sure "lie" is the word and not "inaccuracy"? Lying implies intended deceit. But much of this topic seems to concern natural misunderstanding more than intended deceit.

@pro hi brother , I'm not sure actual lie is the thing as much as we use things a bit roughly like our words. I've learned a few moments of thought clears up a lot of my speech. its in our speech. In how we communicate. Are we passing it? Are we developing difrent communication styles, I think in the lot of things , our communication needs vamping aka " attention" at times as well as our action. Something to mponder friend ,!

Build, not tear down.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265182 by
Replied by on topic Why Talking is Lying
Then again, the author is using the word "lying" or "lie" as a generalization, too. Would the author also be "lying" about how the words in question are "lying"? Not entirely. It's why I find it important, during a conversation, to ensure that my audience has at least a clear picture of what I'm referring to before using it any further. So, by Muslim, I refer to those who practice Islam, and by Liberal, I refer to those who are open to change, etc. Therefore, I would find it tedious to constantly define the same terms, repeatedly, though I would also find it important enough to spell out the distinctions between related words after someone responds by conflating two terms to mean the same thing (e.g., Muslim and terrorist, etc.). Two words may refer to related subjects, but the words, themselves, don't necessarily refer to the other on equal or specific terms.

In other words, generalization isn't necessarily a bad thing, but should be used sparingly.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265186 by Carlos.Martinez3
That addition of character I think, is ...CAN...be the difrence in Our words.

Build, not tear down.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265863 by

Luthien wrote: I would find it tedious to constantly define the same terms, repeatedly, though I would also find it important enough to spell out the distinctions between related words after someone responds by conflating two terms to mean the same thing (e.g., Muslim and terrorist, etc.).

A lot of difference can be made to what we mean by what we say by inserting quantifiers such as "some", "a few", "a minority", "a majority" and "many" etc.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #265894 by
I like the modern journalistic versions: 'experts say ...reports or studies show...love you '

Nah,jk, I'm not that jaded.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266096 by
I would say all language is deceitful, but also unavoidable.

More
7 years 4 months ago #266098 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Why Talking is Lying

Amaru M. Tu wrote: I would say all language is deceitful, but also unavoidable.

Good point. It's our most effective means of communication, at least until some scientist figures out how to unlock our brains capacity for telepathic communication.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi