A Jedi Retreat/Temple

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262820 by
A Jedi Retreat/Temple was created by
Hypothetically speaking,

If one was making a Jedi Retreat and/or a Temple, what are something you would like to see in the design?

Ex. For me I would like a retreat where we could escape the stresses of the world.
It would be self sustaining meaning it would generate its own food, water, and electricity.
Offer living quarters to Jedi seeking to focus on training (Ip/Apprenticeship) or just a peaceful place to meditate.
As well as assisting those in need in the surrounding community.

Sorry if this question has already been posted :/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #262828 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
Some bloke in Tasmania tunneled out an angled staircase some 9 storeys through an ocean front cliff face, from an entry point up top all the way down to a little door just above the high tide line where the cliff base sat on some rock shoreline. In the middle of the stair case is a big wine cellar..... as far as retreats go it sounds pretty good to me!!!
:side:

Pics;
Warning: Spoiler!

It was for sale, sitting on 8 hectares of land.... only $3 million AUD :pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Carlos.Martinez3, Brick

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262830 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
Apparently all my replies from this morning didn't "take"

Firstly: Wow, the old folks were right - this subject does come up a lot :laugh:

Secondly: I have some ideas, but first ( :huh: )

Thirdly:

It would be self sustaining meaning it would generate its own food, water, and electricity.

Why? Is plumbed water not good for Jedi?
Are we not supporting markets and farmers now?

One benefit of being a Jedi is that we (broadly) are allowed to go anywhere - so any Hotel works well for a Jedi Retreat :D

(Olympic size swimming pool preferred, but optional)

escape the stresses of the world.

Ah, you mean Death. ;)

It was for sale, sitting on 8 hectares of land.... only $3 million AUD

Not so bad....About the going rate for a Unit in Sydney :laugh:

On the downside, you're in bloody tasmania (might as well be a long long time ago in a galaxy far away....)
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Rex

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #262849 by
Replied by on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple

Wow, the old folks were right - this subject does come up a lot :laugh:

Mhm :laugh: :P ;)

Why? Is plumbed water not good for Jedi?

From a Jedi Standpoint, self sufficiency is just as important as community support.

One benefit of being a Jedi is that we (broadly) are allowed to go anywhere - so any Hotel works well for a Jedi Retreat :D (Olympic size swimming pool preferred, but optional)

If that were true....have you been to a Jedi Gathering yet? ;)

I was planning a Ohio Jedi Gathering....Plush beds....Indoor Pool....2 hot tubs....pool table....linens and catering....whole 9 yards. It would have ran us.... $4,237.50.....which means we would have needed 30 Jedi to come in order to make division of costs fair and manageable at $185 per person.

Not only did Jedi complain. But they voted for a downgrade of accommodations in a different area.

Its not as easy as one thinks.....

Hypothetically speaking,

If one was making a Jedi Retreat and/or a Temple, what are something you would like to see in the design?

I wonder if I can find it.....Mmmm darn.....I used to have a Jedi Retreat map of everything I would have. Obviously.....just a dream. Still it was fun to make. Its buried in my files somewhere though....hmmmm *keeps looking*
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

More
7 years 5 months ago #262862 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Re:A Jedi Retreat/Temple
Starting the temple as a commune or co-op housing would probably be the most realistic way to achieve a good portion of these goals.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262865 by

JamesSand wrote: Why? Is plumbed water not good for Jedi?

One benefit of being a Jedi is that we (broadly) are allowed to go anywhere - so any Hotel works well for a Jedi Retreat :D

For me I was just thinking of an eco retreat. To me it would be less stressful to be able to pay upfront for everything to make sure we dont have traditional monthly bills we have to pay... Because once we go that route then we would be completely dependent on donations and if we didnt get the required amount then everything would be turned off....

I know this subject comes up ALOT.... however currently Im in the process of making 2 communities as part of my college club that will be a non-profit one day.... If my plans work then I will have a proven plan of how we went from 0 funding to land and a community that I would like to use to make a real Jedi retreat.....

More
7 years 5 months ago #262866 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic A Jedi Retreat/Temple
While we are at it, we could think about Jedi clothes, Jedi jewelry, Jedi cars and Jedi cellphones as well.

Or we could take that time and energy and put it into actually making our own homes our temples, and work from there to help our community.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262872 by

Manu wrote: While we are at it, we could think about Jedi clothes, Jedi jewelry, Jedi cars and Jedi cellphones as well.

Or we could take that time and energy and put it into actually making our own homes our temples, and work from there to help our community.

After the last thread, this is kind of the conclusion that I came to too. I have land, and I have material, just not time, but you know what. I think I am going to resend my offer to use it because my thing is exactly this. While it would be nice to have a place for us to all meet and train, it's not feasible or unforeseeable right now, and I would argue it's not preferable. We should make it part of the Temple that every home should be a temple. You should use it as a base for study and for doing good. Volunteer, donate, do whatever you can out of your own home. I think that makes sense, since if you can't do that then what go is a temple? It would just be a fancy expensive place to hang out and not be Jedi, the exact opposite of what we are about.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #262877 by
Sorry I should have explained this a little better.

The 2 communities that we are building are for the homeless, one for homeless teenagers and one for homeless veterans.
Our plan currently is to take our design of a community and expand to other cities/states. Each community is made up of tiny houses (like on tv). The issue is each community built has to have a group of people their to maintain the community and to provide assistance to help these people find jobs and get them back on their feet. The current way we are solving this issue is working with simular non-profits that are bigger than us to help us manage each one until we are big enough to do so ourselves.

So my initial idea was this:

Each community is going to have living for staff to take care of the project but this living would be in the form of again tiny houses, nothing big or fancy just the necessities to make it a cozy home.

Yes this would be a retreat for Jedi but to also put into motion what they are learning, assisting those that are living within the community. The great thing about this is that every person will need help a different way, and we all have different skills.

So A Jedi could meditate, focus on his/her studies and then walk over and put in a few hours each day helping the needs of the community.

I agree that your home is your temple, and that we do not need anything fancy, but if we are already building communities that are taking care and assisting the homeless get their lives back why not combine them? I feel like this would be a huge impact not only on our communities but also on ourselves.

I was just curious to see what others would like to see in a "Jedi retreat"

More
7 years 5 months ago #262879 by Alethea Thompson
HEY! I'm not OLD! I'm only 31.... :P lol

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi