Do you judge?

More
7 years 6 months ago #258075 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic Do you judge?

OB1Shinobi wrote: we all judge
i think the next question is "what does it take to be a good judge?"

Or as a different twist and a philosophy I've been practicing(read trying or exploring) for myself, should we act on how we judge, so maybe yeah I may judge someone, but does that mean I should act any differently or say anything to that effect or do and say as I normally should all thing's being equal?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #258077 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Do you judge?
Tsst.

Yes, I judge.

It's part of my job - and to an extent, I try to keep my judging to contexts that I am (apparently?) an expert it.

Sounds arrogant, sure, and I don't pretend that I'm the *best* expert - There will be bigger fish, who will in turn judge me, and perhaps I will learn from those judgments.

When it comes to "life" - I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt if you will - but I consider myself a reasonably good judge (heh) of character, and I tend to work with the "enough rope" method - I'll pay out plenty of trust and welcome to anyone who asks for it, but if you manage to wrap it around your neck, don't be surprised when I yank it back sharply (Perhaps not the exact interpretation of the idiom, but I like it).

Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me :)

Judging is not bad, if it's an "educated" judgment.

"People with mullets steal cars" is not really a fair statement
"People who live in X Suburb steal cars" is also not necessarily a fair statement.
"X Suburb has controlled price housing" is potentially a fact
"People who live in Controlled price housing have financial difficulties" is potentially a fact.
"car parts can be sold for money" is also arguably a fact.

Am I judging when I decide where to park my car when I go town?
Probably.
Am I doing it on a balance of probabilities, rather because I don't like someone's haircut or choice of cigarettes?
I like to think so.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258084 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Do you judge?
As others have already said, we can't not judge (although this is not necessarily the case in every individual situation, nor an excuse not to work on generally working an becoming less judgemental in particular identifiable areas...)

We can, however, try to maintain awareness of it...to catch our judging in the moment (or in hindsight if that isn't possible), and to check 'Am I making judgements right now, and if so - firstly, are they fair, and secondly, how are they affecting my behaviour in this situation?'

If we know that we are constantly making subconscious judgements, we know that we can constantly be pro-actively asking the question, regardless of whether or not it is already immediately obvious that judgements are playing a part.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Ben.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258086 by
Replied by on topic Do you judge?
We all believe at some level, after some training time where we strive not to let this trial affect us, we can go over it. But when we treat an issue, there is a trial, because these issues go through us, our life story, our beliefs, our prejudices. So in my opinion, to judge is something very unconscious and natural, let yourself be carried away by your own judgment on this brings problems of a distorted view

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258125 by

Wouldn't life be easier if were able to telepathically communicate our exact thoughts and feelings to each other?

What do you think we are essentially doing right now? Instantly communicating with people who are continents away in some instances.

You can blame the words, or take ownership and responsibility and get better at using them.

As for judging.

Yes, I do.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258126 by

Khaos wrote:

Wouldn't life be easier if were able to telepathically communicate our exact thoughts and feelings to each other?

What do you think we are essentially doing right now? Instantly communicating with people who are continents away in some instances.

We often use words to conceal our true intents, not convey them.

I judge everything constantly, 90% of which is all internal. So even if I could stop judging others, I'd still be fucked.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258165 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Do you judge?

You can blame the words, or take ownership and responsibility and get better at using them.

Oh sweet Khaos, I do so love you.

This message contains confidential information
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi