7 years 7 months ago #257273 by Rosalyn J
Wonderful conversation today in chat on the nature of reality

Warning: Spoiler!

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #257275 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Conversations in Chat!!
I'd never heard of a Trichotomy , but I cannot lie and say it was not listening to The Orb that put me onto Karl Poppers Three Worlds ;

Attachment hfbf5ca1.jpg not found

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #257376 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Conversations in Chat!!
Today we had a discussion on the nature of ritual. It was too long to fit here (even with the spoiler tags). I have attached it

Attachment h3b9d6ed.doc not found

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Rosalyn J.

More
7 years 6 months ago #257568 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Conversations in Chat!!
Today's discussion was on good/evil and moral relativism

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258355 by Lykeios Little Raven
Today we had a discussion about intuition and where it comes from.

Also, here's a resource about intuition that was shared in the chat after I finished copying it:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entrie​s/intuition/

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #258363 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Conversations in Chat!!

Rosalyn J wrote: Today's discussion was on good/evil and moral relativism

this was a great conversation!

moral relativism is useful and not just ridiculous and socially destructive when you understand it as being about understanding, motives, and circumstances
is it wrong to steal?
who is stealing what, and why?
are you feeding a staving baby the only way you can?
are you stealing the plans to the death star?
have you just conned the old lady that likes to feed the ducks out of her life savings?

every act has a motive and impulse underneath it, and this is what distinguishes good from evil

in the broadest strokes, "evil" is selfishness developed to the point of predatory malevolence

this guy is a good example

you dont have to use the word "evil" if you dont like, any number of words or phrases might be used instead

but it is easy to understand how such a person is a danger to those around him regardless of what culture you place him in, and from that its clear that the word describes a type of thought and behavior that is very real

i would add that just because an evil person tells you that they believe they are doing good (like isis murdering and raping their neighbors in the name of allah) does not at all at mean that you as a decent person are obligate to acknowledge that assertion as having any kind of merit whatsoever

regarding some things that were said in that conversation: you cant compare us to other animals

it would be absurd to expect a giraffe to navigate the internet or file a tax return right?
well, so too is it silly to think that we can interact with reality and relate to each other with the simplicity of giraffes

we have the most complex society of any earth species and sophisticated cooperation is integral to our survival

also, people get confused with morality and assume that it is a top-down imposition of the ruling class or the religious leadership

i blame marx for this misunderstanding and caution people not to be too impressed with sociologists

oppression certainly exists but thats not all there is to it by any means and maybe not even most of it
but all that is another discussion, for now let me just saythat civilization works better with an administrating class than without
potentially dangerous as they are, the police are useful, military is useful, government is useful, ect

generally, the morality of a culture the deference to transmission of the prominent lessons contained within that cultures historical memory

sometimes humans dont learn well or dont interpret well, or hold on to things way beyond their usefulness- well basically human beings have a kooky streak a mile wide- so theres a lot of backward stuff in the world

but the essence of morality is "acting in such a way so as to respect my own best interests as well as the best interests of my society in general and those i encounter in particular, to the greatest extent to which this is possible"

and while different cultural circumstances, norms, and hierarchies will require or allow for different ways to express that theme, and different cultures place more or less emphasis on the individual vs the collective, morality everywhere is humankinds effort to live out that basic ideal

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi