White Knight Syndrome

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #255274 by
Replied by on topic White Knight Syndrome

OB1Shinobi wrote: white knight is a popular internet term refering to people who "rescue" because they want to feel like and especially to be seen as an altruistic defender - its an entirely selfish rescue on their part...

Thanks for this explanation. I posted my own response before reading this one, and although I still think the term is being misused a lot, it makes a lot of sense in your examples. There clearly are some instances when "white knighting" aptly describes a behavior. I just find it unfortunate that now there is a negative connotation that is attached to a very positive symbol.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #255275 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic White Knight Syndrome
Senan, i enjoyed reading your post and agree with what youve said

however, i personally think it is silly TO THINK THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO ACTUALLY YELL THROUGH TEXT, and even more silly to be feel bothered when someone else does it

but culture and custom have decided these things lol and while i do my best to defend my own little slice of rational thought, i know it is way beyond the scope of my own influence to convinve the internets that CAPS ISNT YELLING AND YELLING DOESNT MATTER ANYWAY

(lolz)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Rex

More
7 years 6 months ago #255285 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic White Knight Syndrome
I once was on the bus and saw a man yelling at his wife and verbally putting her down for what seemed a minor error. He then proceeded to slap her in the face (not hard, but not gently either) twice, which prompted me to interrupt them. When I did, I interjected "you shouldn't hit a woman", the WOMAN started yelling at me to f@#$ off and mind my own business.

It's a thin blurry line knowing when to intervene and when not to. The thing about the internet, though, is that it gives us the misguided idea that we can somehow save the world from our computers only by liking something on Facebook, booing something, or somehow correcting the politically incorrect.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #255289 by Leah Starspectre
Have a lot of experience with SJW, I can tell you that it's usually not an ego issue. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part, they genuinely want change.

The issue, as I see it, is that they rely on knee-jerk reactions and emotional outbursts to create change. They use scapegoats to pin blame for the problems on superficial issues rather than looking to the true root of the problem.

Case in point: I had a discussion of FB last night with a bunch of them. They were blaming Hollywood for violence against trans women. In particular, an upcoming film that stars a gay cis man as a trans character. They were saying that casting cis men as trans characters encourages violence against trans women.

I suggested that, in a nutshell, art only reflects our society - WE are the problem, not Hollywood. And that we should look to the engage people who influence and educate our society instead: parents, teachers, lawmakers. It seemed to me that this was a reasonable stance, but since they were fueled by righteous anger and emotion, my opinion was invalid and without merit to them. I was accused of verbal and mental violence against the trans community, told I was not an ally, told that I only wanted to be catered to, and told I was just plain wrong.

Some are defensive from pain, some are jumping on the indignation bandwagon, but "white knights" DO mean well and want to see change. I think they're just misplacing their passion and rage to the nearest target rather than the actual cause of the issues. Instead of being true knights, they're Don Quixotes battling windmills: admirable, but not terribly useful.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Leah Starspectre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #255302 by
Replied by on topic White Knight Syndrome

OB1Shinobi wrote: white knight is a popular internet term refering to people who "rescue" because they want to feel like and especially to be seen as an altruistic defender - its an entirely selfish rescue on their part

First I ever heard of it.....But then....When I think of White Knight it is the same as Senan. A Knight of Virtue.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #255333 by Wescli Wardest
When I hear the term white knights I think of the 1985 move called, “White Knights” staring Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines.

Attachment h0757426.jpg not found

Good movie by the way.

I try not to assume people’s intentions. Especially when it comes to them at least trying to do good. I am also aware that people will be jelly when others do what they wish they could or would have done. And I am aware that it is a derogatory term slung around to give offense.

I would not use the term White Knight unless I was referring to someone who I believed was acting for the benefit of others and with the absolute purest of intentions. And since I try not to assume people’s intentions… I would have to know that person pretty well; or, well enough to assume I would know their intentions. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #255341 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic White Knight Syndrome
I was called a white knight once on facebook. Is white knight the same as social justice warrior, because the only time I've seen it used was quite clearly in the context of the other mob thinking they were 'black knights'. Perhaps SJW and WK are not quite the same.

Anyway my single experience of the term was a few blokes were going to town bullying someone (publicly with real names no less) with inaccurate information. Someone had to point out the obvious errors of their information and manner, and so I got painted white. I think it was meant as an insult but I took it as a compliment!!!

I guess anything that someone disagree's with who is happy to try and insult another will try to recast their identity in negative terms, but I do understand that the 'syndrome' being discussed in the OP does exist and seems to be black knighting thinking its white knighting, more then actual white knighting IMO. Labels labels labels... I guess it comes down to people trying to exert authority or power over others wherever it is not appropriate or accurate.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

More
7 years 6 months ago #255346 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic White Knight Syndrome
When I was growing up, I didn't have a champion. No one to help me, no one to protect me. I promised that I wouldn't let anyone else be treated that way.

I did it because I didn't want anyone else to be hurt like I was. I wanted so much to have someone to look up to, and I didn't have anyone. So I wanted to be that person for others.

So, like the wise and ready defender that I wasn't, I hopped in on every imagined slight. No humor was left undistained. I hadn't learned that there was a time and a place for everything and not every cause needed me to champion it, and not every cause was even a cause.

I'm still, honestly, trying to find that balance. Knowing when to act. And how to act properly.

So I know some folks speak out from their own hurt. But I also know folks who do it for their own ego.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, OB1Shinobi, Rex

More
7 years 6 months ago #255495 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic White Knight Syndrome
Just to clarify, everyone is absolutely entitled to an opinion regardless of their motive or qualification.

I don't think ignorance should be externally censored.

I used the term "white knight" in the same sadly sardonic manner ob1shinobi did. Despite the original meanings of an honorable protector of those unable to defend themselves, in a modern internet context, I hear it used to describe (usually men) people who defend someone (usually a woman for ulterior motives) simply on the merit of them being challenged rather than the truth of the matter at hand.

I guess I'm asking to be held to a higher standard; help me re-define "white knight" to be a good thing as opposed to it's current acerbic connotations. I think that the paragon of defending the defenseless is important and the OP shouldn't be misconstrued to say that concept should be abridged.

I hope for bravery for when I need to speak, tranquility for when I shouldn't, and maturity to discern the difference.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, , OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi