[Split off] Jedi for political office?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251571 by
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I would really like to begin my training. But first of all I have to ask a question­. I have read that a jedi must not intervene in politic affairs but... I am a candidate for my political party in the upcoming election and it's my passion. I would love to be a jedi and of course I would never mix these two things togheter. I would like to know if I can still become an initiate ? :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #251575 by MadHatter

August Celtrian wrote: Hello everyone! I'm new here and I would really like to begin my training. But first of all I have to ask a question­. I have read that a jedi must not intervene in politic affairs but... I am a candidate for my political party in the upcoming election and it's my passion. I would love to be a jedi and of course I would never mix these two things togheter. I would like to know if I can still become an initiate ? :)

Much of the teachings here depend on YOUR interpretation of them. From what I can understand yes a Jedi can be a politician its just going to be harder. To clarify what I mean, as a Jedi we must strive for fairness and balance in all things. Often politics leads to partisanship and bickering with little good will or help to those in need generated. So if you think you can be balanced and fair and hones and be in office more power to you. Its not for the Temple to dictate your life. Its simply a warning of things known to upset the peace and balance we strive for. Or at least this is my take on it. However I will add I do not speak for the Temple or even as any great authority on what a "good Jedi" is.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
7 years 8 months ago #251576 by Br. John

August Celtrian wrote: Hello everyone! I'm new here and I would really like to begin my training. But first of all I have to ask a question­. I have read that a jedi must not intervene in politic affairs but... I am a candidate for my political party in the upcoming election and it's my passion. I would love to be a jedi and of course I would never mix these two things togheter. I would like to know if I can still become an initiate ? :)

YES. Good luck with the election. Welcome to The Order. Where did you read that?

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 8 months ago #251577 by MadHatter

Br. John wrote:

YES. Good luck with the election. Welcome to The Order. Where did you read that?

John I really could have sworn when I first joined that I read that a Jedi avoids being too political in the Doctrine. But checking over the Doctrine page and my own IP journal entries on the various Doctrine I am wrong. Apparently I never read that and now wonder where I got this same idea.

Knight of the Order

More
7 years 8 months ago #251580 by Br. John
I remember when the debate about same sex marriage was at its height (we officially supported this right) - we were accused by some Jedi and other organizations of being improperly political. My answer was this is a human rights issue.

Politics are so entangled with with so many things - things that involve very personal rights and dignity.

Maybe this was something from the movies especially E2 and E3. Or maybe it's the rule or belief in some other Jedi communities.

I believe Jestor holds an elected office.

Founder of The Order

More
7 years 8 months ago #251586 by MadHatter

Br. John wrote: I remember when the debate about same sex marriage was at its height (we officially supported this right) - we were accused by some Jedi and other organizations of being improperly political. My answer was this is a human rights issue.

Politics are so entangled with with so many things - things that involve very personal rights and dignity.

Maybe this was something from the movies especially E2 and E3. Or maybe it's the rule or belief in some other Jedi communities.

I believe Jestor holds an elected office.

Huh it must have been from the movies. IDK where the heck I got that mixed up but it leaves me with the fact that I must make a note to memorize the Doctrine. Its annoys me that I have had bad information in my head for almost 9 months or so.

Knight of the Order

More
7 years 8 months ago #251588 by Brick

MadHatter wrote: John I really could have sworn when I first joined that I read that a Jedi avoids being too political in the Doctrine. But checking over the Doctrine page and my own IP journal entries on the various Doctrine I am wrong. Apparently I never read that and now wonder where I got this same idea.

You may have been 'miss-remembering' this bit, as I have done previously:

A Jedi believes in (...) In the separation of religion and government and the freedoms of speech, association and expression.

Though that doesn't actually mean that one can't be involved in politics.

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, MadHatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251589 by

Brick wrote:

MadHatter wrote: John I really could have sworn when I first joined that I read that a Jedi avoids being too political in the Doctrine. But checking over the Doctrine page and my own IP journal entries on the various Doctrine I am wrong. Apparently I never read that and now wonder where I got this same idea.

You may have been 'miss-remembering' this bit, as I have done previously:

A Jedi believes in (...) In the separation of religion and government and the freedoms of speech, association and expression.

Though that doesn't actually mean that one can't be involved in politics.

Thank you for looking that up Brick , i was looking and looking and could not find any reference of us not being politicly active , although i can imagine that politics these days can be seen as a pety activity :laugh:

Nobility: To act with honour.

A Jedi does not engage in petty, mean or otherwise dubious activities. Acting with stature and distinction influences others, offering a compelling example of what can be achieved by those who follow Jediism.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251593 by
AAAAAAAAHHHH !!!!!

This is exactly what I have been ranting about !! All of you !! PLEASE !! RUN FOR OFFICE !! To make the world a better place, for the Jedi to have a physical effect, we have to immerse in politics. We sit here on our computers talking of how we wish for world peace, how we can achieve it, but we don't actually do anything !! SO YES !! Take up arms and fight against Trump and the Capitalist machine !! Defy the Stupid White Men who rule over us !!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251594 by

Silas Mercury wrote: AAAAAAAAHHHH !!!!!

This is exactly what I have been ranting about !! All of you !! PLEASE !! RUN FOR OFFICE !! To make the world a better place, for the Jedi to have a physical effect, we have to immerse in politics. We sit here on our computers talking of how we wish for world peace, how we can achieve it, but we don't actually do anything !! SO YES !! Take up arms and fight against Trump and the Capitalist machine !! Defy the Stupid White Men who rule over us !!

Ow i have never made a secret of being into politics , its a village party but still , start with making the lives better in your inner circle and work your way to the white house :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi