enlightenment vs. survival

More
7 years 9 months ago #248916 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic enlightenment vs. survival
But, loosely speaking, with over 10 times the amount of testosterone in men then women and over 10 times the amount of men in prison then women in the US for example.... it might be an indicator that men are feeling something differently to women in such a way that it is an impediment on well-being.

It's nice to expect behaviour to be the same between two different group's, ideal even, certainly easier for interactions.... but I think the article is trying (not very well) to talk about the experience of one group in meeting that sort of expectation. If there is a distinct difference in one groups experience of reality compared to the other group, then those differences might represent the source of solutions to managing the differences by whichever group is less suited to the direction of change.

So then you can imagine the other group assuming or asserting the issue is not real because they (as the other group) do not experience the issue, runs the risk of appearing to have zero concern for the actual topic, which can make solutions for the concerned group even more remote or abnormal. It's not a new dynamic I don't think... every group or person which feels displaced from society wants to work through its issues.

The article itself seems to try to appeal to the anti-feminist crowd, so its a hard read for a feminist bloke like myself, but as a 'bloke', I get what she might be referencing beyond the rhetoric. I really don't think its a big of a deal as she makes out, as everyone is a little bit different anyway and no-one is forcing anyone to wear pink dresses and makeup... yet. But sometimes people who are struggling with an issue need to dress it up in rhetoric to channel the excess energy they have about it so they can process the information and work the issue to their own resolution.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #248924 by
Replied by on topic enlightenment vs. survival
I was lucky enough to be a Boy Scout for 8 years and earned the rank of Eagle Scout. What I learned while moving through the ranks is that ideally a man should nurture both skill sets..

I received instruction on firing rifles and shotguns. I learned many different ways to light a fire without a match. I used knives, axes and hatchets. I received training in first aid and lifesaving and remain certified for CPR and First Aid to this day. At one point I backpacked through the Southern Rocky Mountains for 8 days living out of my bag and what I could catch or pick to eat. I learned all kinds of "manly" stuff and put it into practice.

I also earned merit badges for citizenship, family life, music, environmental science, basketry, art, personal management and public speaking. I was encouraged to teach those who followed in my footsteps. Being "enlightened" was a positive thing.

The idea is to be well rounded and prepared for as many different situations one might find themselves in. When survival skills are required, i have them in my tool box. When my niece wants to play My Little Pony, I'll get down on the floor and pretend to be Pinkie Pie. Neither makes me more or less of a man, just equipped for the current circumstance.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #249021 by OB1Shinobi
i dont agree with this dude about too much of anything. i dont even agree with everythingin this video, but its relevant to this topic

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3qHnIp-WzCI

where i live, women still respond to masculine men

i dont worry too much about the femenists agenda to emasculate us, i just do my best to be a good man and trust things will work out

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yugen

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi