Additional holiday

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #241838 by
Replied by on topic Additional holiday

steamboat28 wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote: if what you're looking for is an official Party Pony to remind people of our holidays... I nominate me...

You gotta bring the cannon, too.

Like it's even a party without the cannon!
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #241859 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Additional holiday
I'm now conducting a big internal debate over whether or not Jedi Knight Master's Day should actually have an apostrophe or not.

I mean...is it a celebration of plural Jedi Knight Masters or does the day belong to the Jedi Knight Masters? In which case I guess it should be Jedi Knight Masters' Day? Arghhhh :pinch:

Anyway...um...back to the topic at hand :laugh:

Traditionally 'leading' of the Holidays has generally been conducted by the Clergy, as live services and sermons are generally good vehicles for bringing them into the consciousness of the members. (Also, Holidays - officially Holy or Feast Days - are technically also part of the Liturgy of the Temple, but that's really nitpicking :laugh: )

But as far as I can see, there's no reason why it has to be solely up to the Clergy (especially considering that sermons and live services are frequently carried out by non-Clergy nowadays). It would probably be best if it was a co-ordinated effort though...in the past there have been occasions where people have taken it upon themselves to do something to mark Holidays, only to cause aggro when others also had something planned...

Returning to the original topic of this thread - hypothetically, what are people's thoughts on waiting to see if we can revitalize the existing Holidays first vs going straight ahead with adding new Days?

I'm asking just as an interested V, not as a Synod member or anything (especially considering that I wont actually be a Synod member for much longer)... :)

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Ben.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #241870 by
Replied by on topic Additional holiday

V-Tog wrote: I'm now conducting a big internal debate over whether or not Jedi Knight Master's Day should actually have an apostrophe or not.

I asked my professors in college, all of whom had at least a American Masters'/Master's/Masters degree, and they couldn't even tell me a definite answer. I say we keep it non-possessive for the sake of ease.

Traditionally 'leading' of the Holidays has generally been conducted by the Clergy, as live services and sermons are generally good vehicles for bringing them into the consciousness of the members. (Also, Holidays - officially Holy or Feast Days - are technically also part of the Liturgy of the Temple, but that's really nitpicking :laugh: )

But as far as I can see, there's no reason why it has to be solely up to the Clergy (especially considering that sermons and live services are frequently carried out by non-Clergy nowadays).

*nodnod*

It would probably be best if it was a co-ordinated effort though...in the past there have been occasions where people have taken it upon themselves to do something to mark Holidays, only to cause aggro when others also had something planned...

Yep. But it's a vacuum at the moment. Even a "HEY LOOKIE WHAT TIME IT IS AGAIN" is better than things getting forgotten :3

Returning to the original topic of this thread - hypothetically, what are people's thoughts on waiting to see if we can revitalize the existing Holidays first vs going straight ahead with adding new Days?

You have my support, ma'am!
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 10 months ago #241906 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Additional holiday

Snowy Aftermath wrote:

But as far as I can see, there's no reason why it has to be solely up to the Clergy (especially considering that sermons and live services are frequently carried out by non-Clergy nowadays).

*nodnod*

Agreed...

I believe some of the holidays were secular in nature...

Maybe Im wrong, I forget, lol...

Not only those in the clergy are 'spiritual'... ;)

Make sure someone asks Roz to include the holidays in the Event Calendar.... idk about the rest of you, but, I have that calendar synced to my Google calendar, and the events show up on my phone... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Codama

More
7 years 10 months ago #241913 by Codama
Replied by Codama on topic Additional holiday
Word, I think adding the Holidays to the events calendar is Dope. And linking the google calendar to the phone is a great idea Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi