Distant Horizons

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241727 by
Distant Horizons was created by
Shonah approached her master with confident steps. The sage sat in his study, hunched over one of his many thick tomes.

"Master?"

He raised a brow over the rim of his spectacles.

She took his cue and strode to the corner of his desk. "I have some questions."

"Concerning what, Shonah?"

She drew in a deep lungful of air and quieted her nerves. "Love and the nature of the Force, Master Rodan."

He leaned back in his rickety chair and smiled. "Go on."

She sighed. "I understand that there are the Unifying Force, the Living Force, and the Cosmic Force, but I don't understand why all three are necessary."

Rodan stroked his light brown beard. "And love?"

She felt the blood rush to her youthful cheeks. "I-I think I've found the one, but how can I be sure, Master?"

Rodan bobbed his head of chestnut hair in understanding. "Come, Shonah."

"Where are we going?"

He gathered his cloak and waved her out the door. "To find the answers to your questions."

They traveled on the road for three days, stopping at every town, indulging in the local inns and culture, and chatting up the farmers. With each passing visit, Rodan sensed his apprentice growing more frustrated.

"The food and music is not to your liking, Shonah?"

She lowered her eyes to the sandy path ahead. "Of course, master. It's just --"

"Our destination is very important, Shonah, but our journey will teach us far more."

The next day, the duo reached the shoreline. Warm salty breezes cleared their weary senses.

Rodan's gaze scanned the horizon. "Tell me what you see."

"The skies, the sea, and a storm rolling in, master."

He nodded. "True."

She turned to him, wearing a perplexed expression. "What is it that I'm supposed to see?"

"Look deeper, Shonah."

They sat for a long time as the distant thunderheads picked up steam on their approach.

She lowered her head in defeat. "I don't understand, master. Could you please explain?"

"Of course, he said. Rodan pointed out across the ocean. "The sea is comprised of water, yes?"

She nodded.

"What is water made of?"

"Molecules of hydrogen and oxygen, master."

He nodded. "Very good. Those atoms are like the Unifying Force. They are present in both the rain and the sea."

Her eyes lit up. "And the rain is like the Living Force?"

"Well done, apprentice. Yes. In the sea, it is. The sun evaporates it in its throes of death and its essence transcends to the skies as vapor."

"And then, it returns back to the sea as rain!"

"Well done," Rodan said. "The Cosmic Force is like and endless sea, combining space and time."

Shonah's mouth hung agape.

"There's one more lesson to be learned from the beach, Shonah."

Her youthful stare remained transfixed on the gathering storm.

"What do you think the sky sees when she looks into the ocean?"

Shonah's brows furrowed. "Water, fish, animals?"

He chuckled and crossed his legs. "Expand your vision out wider. She sees her reflection in the water -- her other self."

Shonah listened and understood.

"One can't live without the other, Shonah. Their relationship is a married pair. The sky gives him nourishment and longevity. In return he gives her energy, support, and resources filling her."

"What about the Earth, master?" She swept her bangs from her face. "Who is it married to?"

"In a sense, we are married to nature and it to us. We are dependent on one another." Rodan shrugged. "It's been a rather abusive relationship in the past, but they've been in couple's therapy for a while and things are looking up."

Shonah giggled.

"That is how you'll know if he's the one. You will see your other spiritual self within him."

"Thank you, Master Rodan."

He patted her on the shoulder and stood. "Of course. Come, we should get in before that storm hits."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #242134 by
Replied by on topic Distant Horizons
Great story, Joda :) It actually hit home. There's a girl I see my other spiritual self in. Sadly it is not meant to be.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #242397 by
Replied by on topic Distant Horizons
This happens a lot. If it isn't meant to be, then could you ask youself this: did I really see my spiritual self, or did I impose my subconscious wants onto the situation? Going a step further, I believe that you'll know when it's the one because your spirit will experince harmonic resonance around her. Like two tuning forks of the same pitch, when one is struck and brought next to the other, the motionless fork will begin to vibrate as well. Love is a lot like this. It's also an experiment I suggest to others to try. It's inexpensive to conduct.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi