"Camping’ on Your Own Land is Now Illegal — Govt Waging War on Off-Grid Living"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #239691 by
The Gov has a wonderful job to do. I wish that they just did that.

Telling individuals what they can and can not do for themselves and by themselves is not necessarily it.

I dream of a world that is self sustaining. Imagine how amazing life would be if everyone was expected to accommodate for their own food, water, and energy? IF every house was able to provide its own needs?

Yes, that might limit some freedoms and give us others.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #239920 by OB1Shinobi
I havent found much from "the other side"

in fact, every time i have looked, i have simply found more instances of off the grid living being - seemingly at least - deliberately opposed by government

from nuisance abatement teams to the "conspiracy theory" sounding but actually true "United Nations Agenda 21 " and even a situation which has the hallmarks of deliberate infiltration by government agents lol i know how hokey that sounds and i admit that its certainly not the only possibility - "off the grid" attracts a wide variety of individuals, including some pretty extreme types, im sure

the use of public water does make sense as a valid issue to be dealt with, but still i do get the impression that there is intentional effort by the government to oppose this lifestyle

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #240027 by
It is as I said before that things are getting worse. They don't want people to live off grid who are self sufficient. They want people to be clustered together and have them become dependent on the government. Because people like that are easier to control.

The best way to go against any law that is unjust or unfair is to not follow it.

More
7 years 10 months ago #240029 by Prelalo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #240030 by

Yabuturtle wrote: It is as I said before that things are getting worse. They don't want people to live off grid who are self sufficient. They want people to be clustered together and have them become dependent on the government. Because people like that are easier to control.

The best way to go against any law that is unjust or unfair is to not follow it.

It is unwise to assume you know the motives behind these actions. I suggest asking open ended questions. Perhaps it is easier to explain than making up a conspiracy to scare yourself with.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #240062 by
As much as we all know Yabu as the Temple's resident conspiracy theorist it is true that people living independent of the government are harder to control. It is also true that the government doesn't like not having control. I can see this as a reason that they (the government) would want to restrict Off-the-grid living in some ways.

However, I disagree with the assertion that one should just not follow laws that they don't agree with. I agree on certain extreme possibilities but not as a blanket statement.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #240068 by
I think it is worth noting that OB1 put the word "camping" in quotes. I big piece of this debate will end up being what is actually considered "camping" or "off-grid". I can put a tent up in my suburban backyard and make S'mores over a propane grill and call it "camping". I could do it every night all summer and nobody would care. This is obviously very different from the backpacking I did as a teenager that had me living off of what I could carry and water filtered from streams. Actual "camping" requires a certain level of knowledge and preparedness that will allow you to survive without access to modern conveniences like electricity and running water that are most often purchased from someone else.

My guess is that this has more to do with control of resources. I doubt anyone would have a problem with me living "off grid" out in the woods as a hermit, but as soon as I start taking someone else's water, food, electricity, wood, etc I would become a "nuisance".

To me, the real question here is what do you actually "own" when you own land? The water doesn't seem to be included in most cases, and often trees and other wildlife seem to remain protected. Local governments can still control what and where you can build things. The government can even control the air space above your piece of dirt, and should eminent domain come into play, they can buy your land out from under you whether you agree or not. So do you really own anything?

More
7 years 10 months ago #240079 by Wescli Wardest
To play Devil’s advocate…

Let us say that you own a $200,000 home in the immediate vicinity of where people start erecting tents and piling up what appears to be garbage next door to you. You bought the land you now reside on and built your dream home. And right next to you is a group of people that are bring down the average home value in the neighborhood. I would be upset too… and want them to either abide by local ordinance or go somewhere else.

I realize that for many of you home ownership is off in the future. But for me, sinking 30 years of my life into paying for something to leave to my children is a big deal. It is not a pile of tires I want to live in or a tent or a 2x4 shack.

I have no issue with wanting to be off grid. I want to be off grid! And I am taking steps to do so. But I am also doing it in accordance with local ordinance and laws.

I have no idea where these people are doing this at. I have no idea of the neighborhood or if they even have neighbors. I am simply saying that there is always, at least, two sides to every story. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, , ,

More
7 years 10 months ago #240098 by Carlos.Martinez3
Very true Master Wes
This is a moment for action in a way that can be made to make a difference. Find those few who tend to make those laws and vote them out, change them write them, do something, If that's your mind set. So many of ...US... people, my self included just don't say anything but only get mad. What can a solution be to this? I know there are a very many difrent views here ive seen em... lets put our thinking caps on

Attachment hddae964.jpg not found

We are the change!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
7 years 10 months ago #240130 by Locksley
This is a good discussion topic - and it's nice to see people really checking in on multiple sides of the issue. I'm at work, so I won't write much on this, but I tend to think that there are multiple points where local governments end up reaching far beyond what they should when it comes to controlling the lives of the people in the community. I also think there are times where the local government doesn't have enough control over what's going on in the community - which can lead to instances of corporate encroachment, unintended sprawl, or unhealthy forms of gentrification. One point I would like to make, is that by sources "from the other side" I think what's meant is sources that refrain from language like: "But the tentacles of tyranny are everywhere and no one is protected from their grasp." Just sayin'. ;)

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi