"Camping’ on Your Own Land is Now Illegal — Govt Waging War on Off-Grid Living"

More
7 years 11 months ago #239651 by OB1Shinobi
‘Camping’ on Your Own Land is Now Illegal — Govt Waging War on Off-Grid Living

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/camping-land-illegal-homesteading-regulated-existence/#mhVke2Ue0ixM8xfY.99

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239652 by
Well that's kind of ridiculous. You need a permit to camp on land you already own? And that permit is temporary? How is that a thing to begin with?

More
7 years 11 months ago #239661 by Carlos.Martinez3
I love when big organizations feel the burn. No one wants to pay ridicules amounts any more and what's better is we are finding more and more ways to acomplish this. Tesla has home battery's and a bunch of forward thinkers are creating at home electricity. So I like watching how some react to it. Sad that these few people law us to death to keep us down but in time my hope is they will be removed eventually... like if we don't vote for em. Things ARE changing, love it! Hate the drama love the direction

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239662 by
I find a lot of the rebellion that goes on nowadays silly, but this is governmental overreach. If they aren't harming anyone else, let them do what they want! It's their land!

This isn't freedom. We're a corporately owned country, start calling it that.

*cues the people who start talking about how elections make any difference*

More
7 years 11 months ago #239664 by Carlos.Martinez3
We need to rid our self s of this "old" way of thinking and vote in a new batch of thinkers. We need new blood or we will perish to ourself s.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239679 by
Local governments do attempt to regulate behaviors not under their jurisdiction; for example, I heard about a town council trying to 'outlaw' yoga pants. Zoning, though, is not one of them. The article states that the zoning changes have been dropped but not the 90 day off-grid camping fee. In the US, legislative over-reach can be addressed through the courts.

More
7 years 11 months ago #239681 by Adder
Building regulations are usually meant for safety, and so it could just be to stop people living in unregulated structures long term. Fire restrictions I can understand in the dry season, but the rest seems absurd 'if' enforced like the media headline implies.
The problem is with laws like these when authorities use the letter of the law to simply revenue raise, because that is when it tends to actually become like a Police state.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
7 years 11 months ago #239683 by Proteus
Can you find us an article that explains the story from the other side? While from this perspective it is obvious that it doesn't sound fair, all I can see is bias due to a one sided story.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #239687 by

Proteus wrote: Can you find us an article that explains the story from the other side? While from this perspective it is obvious that it doesn't sound fair, all I can see is bias due to a one sided story.

Very good point. There's always a little more than you know.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #239690 by
I couldn't find an article from "the other side" as it were, since the other side in this case is basically a tiny county government, but I did find an article from about the same time as the one in the OP that includes a detail curiously left out of the first article.

These off-grid lots don't have running water. So some people were filling up huge tanks at publicly owned spigots in town. Those were locked up pretty quickly. More experienced off-gridders buy their water from a now unincorporated town nearby which still has water rights.

So, these so-called "off-grid" folks were going into town and using public water sources without paying for water like, say, I have to every month in my apartment. So much for being "off-grid." Why should they get water for free when people living in town have to pay? Or, conversely, why should the people living in town have to pay when these guys can get it for free? By locking up the public spigots they only shifted the dilemma to another town, though at least they're paying for it there.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi