Has Censorship Become the Norm?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227765 by
Replied by on topic Has Censorship Become the Norm?
In a perfect world, we would all speak with words that grant each other the basic respect and dignity we all deserve as human beings. Sadly, we do not live in a perfect world. But if we want to create a better society for ourselves and our children, our words should respect everyone's dignity and humanity.

It should be our responsibility to ensure that this mutual respect exists, not our governments' responsibility. And we should be fulfilling that obligation well. Unfortunately, we've never been any good at it - it's no wonder people argue for censorship. I freely admit, as an individual: I'm not any good at it either. But I strive to do better, and will always strive.

If that's "politically correct", then I suppose you'll have to grant me the much-maligned label.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227772 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Has Censorship Become the Norm?
We have groups of people who have become so obsessed with themselves they have now begun to ruin the lives of anyone who dares not "accept" them. They are merely a new inquisition, soon to be replaced by yet another recycled ideology: political correctness, its associated censorship and its loyal minions will eventually die off.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by ren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven, Brick

More
8 years 2 months ago #227778 by Lykeios Little Raven

ren wrote: We have groups of people who have become so obsessed with themselves they have now begun to ruin the lives of anyone who dares not "accept" them. They are merely a new inquisition, soon to be replaced by yet another recycled ideology: political correctness, its associated censorship and its loyal minions will eventually die off.

I was going to call it a fad myself. I sure hope you're right about that.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
8 years 2 months ago #227781 by Adder
Political correctness has a place, but so does recognition change can be slow and face various natures of impediments. Not all resistance to change is derived out of bigotry. But I don't think being PC is the same thing as censorship, as I see censorship as the restriction of a message whereas being PC is the most appropriate delivery of a message.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Squint

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227787 by Squint
Can I ask, what exactly is this very generalized term "Political Correctness", which many of you use as a pejorative? Can you please give very specific examples and avoid the use of the phrase all together, as you would if you were writing a definition?

Journals: IP Apprentice
TM: Loudzoo
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Squint. Reason: Forgot the word "as"

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #227790 by Adder
PC IMO... that which is both accepted in meaning by all parties, but also being without significant cause for anyone to take offensive at its usage. This would to me imply historical abuse which is intended to be avoided to better enable clearer communication and less misunderstanding.

Which you can see clearly differentiates it from censorship.

Targeted pejorative language is just a form of manipulation and not really helpful in communication. It might be useful if a persons argument cannot win on its own merits to distract the other side, or they are seeking to demean for some trivial peer association to boost their ego - but that is sort of childish IMO. Though if directed at oneself, as an expression of ones emotions, it seems pretty useful LOL.... but talking to oneself is ok so long as you don't start answering back at yourself (too much).

So yea, pejorative use of the term can be conflated with censorship, but that's the whole point of pejorative language, to confuse and distort... so I view it's abuse as quite un-Jedi in spirit
:lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Squint

More
8 years 2 months ago #227791 by Squint
Adder, thank you for that, what you said was exactly why I asked. I see Political Correctness being used a generalized pejorative without any substantive debate about a specific point.

I think its easier for someone to say, "I am a good person and I would never mean something in a way that would hurt you, so it's not possible that what I said was bad." Instead of, "Wow, I have said something for so long that hurt other people and didn't know, I truly apologize."

It's the very people who are marginalized who are accused of "Political Correctness." Perhaps we should be looking in the mirror and defining what exactly we don't like about what that marginalized group is asking for. If what it is only boils down to a desire to not change the way we talk, then that speaks more to our own stubbornness than that which the marginalized group desires. This is not censorship, this is decency.

Journals: IP Apprentice
TM: Loudzoo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227797 by
As long as people prefer their freedom of speech over the freedom to use their brain before they say something there will be people that use censorship to try to bring balance, having said that , this is probably why people who want to shut others up because they dont like their retorics , and therefore are "offended" you recognize them easily , they attack people personally , they dont stay on topic and are sooo hurt and dissapointed over the things said ...seriously ? I wonder how they get through real live , you know , outside of this forum where people can tell you what is in their heart , in your face ;)

Having said that , there are words that are offensive. I have no problem with such words being banned ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #227852 by
As usual it's use or abused thing. It's one thing to be polite & respectful, another to take to an extreme of PC position to bend people to your ways. That's a manipulative power play. Many of MY observations of PC violations are claimed by people wanting (desperate for) recognition and attempt to re-balance (manipulate) power in their favor. Some play the PC card only because they can, pathetic.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi