Dealing with laziness

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #226728 by
Replied by on topic Dealing with laziness
I've been dealing with this for awhile. At home I've lived with a bunch of stoners who are laid back and don't really care all that much. My friend's dad is so lazy he'll use the juicer or blender and let it sit after he's done, along with the mess after cutting up vegetables and fruits and also just leaving the pulp from the juicer sit out in the kitchen. Fruit fly heaven. He's in his 60s and he grew up with his sisters so he has always been messy, his old bedroom having newspapers buried from 4 years ago. On the surface you'd think he's just lazy and dirty but he's been through a lot in his life from dealing with addictions, his wife dying from cancer and then seeing his friends pass away. I don't blame the guy but sometime's it's a little ridiculous, he's said how he's more tolerant to the filth than I am. :S

Another friend who is older than me had his mom do everything for him so with basic things like doing dishes he has a hard time. He'll use a butter knife to spread peanut butter and dump it in the sink, then later come grab another one, same with plates and cups and it all adds up really fast and then blames other people for not doing dishes. :unsure:

Then when it comes to work I've worked with people who just don't take pride in what they're doing. In construction or doing electrical work, or even farming it's very easy to make a mess or be a little off on something. Personally I like to beautify my work and keep things cleaned and organized. One of the first guys I worked for was my favorite to work with as he was there with us doing everything and he'd watch us and correct us in a very coachlike manner, I was lucky. He taught me to use finesse in doing my work. Outside of work however he was a total slob, funny how that works.

I've gotten heated a few times with roomates but at the end of the day it's not really worth it. People are who they are, if they aren't motivated to keep clean, or don't care so much to be organized that's their choice. With work it's different for me cause I will get heated if something is obstructing progress, like when people who use tools and then leave them where ever they used them so if I need something I have to search for it. Or if they really are just lazy and can't keep something lined up, or set square and flush making everything look like junk.

You just have to keep your area how you want it and if something from someone else bothers you just fix it or clean it yourself, set the example. Some people who know you will do it though can just take advantage of you and that's a problem for me. I'll help someone or try to do good for people but after you start doing a lot of things for people they will expect you to do it for them all the time, and if you do ten good deeds for them and say no one time you'll be the bad guy. I've seen it happen a lot so I typically stick to and take care of myself, there are people who can't help themselves but most people who need help need to just learn to help themselves.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #226732 by Carlos.Martinez3

Locksley wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Where has this been all my life.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 2 months ago #226773 by Figment
Replied by Figment on topic Dealing with laziness

carlos.martinez3 wrote:
Where has this been all my life.

Completely off topic, but if you get bored and need a laugh, you should look up all the meme to "Just Do It". LOL They will bring a smile to your face. I especially like this one, if you are a Lord of the Rings fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2j-vQ611uo

More
8 years 2 months ago #226774 by Figment
Replied by Figment on topic Dealing with laziness
Thank you all for your advice, experiences, and support. Sometimes it is just nice to know that you aren't the only one out there experiencing something and that others have been in your shoes.

I wish all of you good luck with your own situations. Being understanding, loyal, and helpful brings insight of the people around us, but what we see isn't always what others think about themselves.

I like the saying, "brothers and sisters in the Force", a nice reminder that we are one big family trying for something better within ourselves.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #226776 by
Replied by on topic Dealing with laziness
If you truly are stuck doing more than your share, and it upsets you, stop doing it. Go a few days without cleaning and watch it pile up. If they ask you about it explain the situation. I've been in a similar spot. We drew up a chore chart and shared responsibilities.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi