[Open Forum] What is "freedom of speech?"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #222955 by
BTW, haven't we learned a lesson out of rap?

Making battles an art form is honorable. Going from physical murder to artistic "murder" is the best way of resolving aggression I know. Also, much more fun for everyone.

Warning: Spoiler!

I know very little of American realities, but this does not diminish the idea.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #226309 by Kohadre
Freedom of speech means the goverment cant come and arrest or exexute you.

It doesnt mean you have the right to spew shullbit and be free of consequences from your peers. People dont have to listen to what you say, or even allow you to say it, thats not what free speech involves.

Your not entitled to your opinion, and others are not obligated by your misunderstanding of a law to endure your crap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
8 years 1 month ago #226748 by Whyte Horse
The English language has some issues with the word freedom. So it's perfectly normal for people to be confused about "freedom of speech". There are two kinds of free: libre and gratis. I like libre. It means you can say whatever the fsck you want. Gratis means you can say something on here(with restrictions) but you don't have to pay any money.

After you accept the libre notion, it becomes a major issue to decide what is allowed and what is not. I have found totjo to be very liberal in this cause and I would like to see it continue as such.

Word to your ma,
The Horse

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #226751 by

Whyte Horse wrote: The English language has some issues with the word freedom. So it's perfectly normal for people to be confused about "freedom of speech". There are two kinds of free: libre and gratis. I like libre. It means you can say whatever the fsck you want. Gratis means you can say something on here(with restrictions) but you don't have to pay any money.

After you accept the libre notion, it becomes a major issue to decide what is allowed and what is not. I have found totjo to be very liberal in this cause and I would like to see it continue as such.

Word to your ma,
The Horse

Agree, we call it Liberty of Speech in the Netherlands , there are contstant discussions on wether you should be restricted for insulting someone else or other restrictions , but the thing is you are never responsable for what another person says but you are responsible for how you take it. The thing is , in an online community this does not apply as well as in real life, in written communication you have the time lapse, meaning that you actually dont have to blurt out what you think , no , you read it and then you post it , this makes an insult even more insulting i think , which a lot of trolls use to come up with even worse insults by the way. Good manners are the key , think before you type, would you like to be called this and that ? In chat its even different , that goes faster , one word can change the whole context , keeping communication lines open is important , but if someone just wants to troll ...its a difficult matter.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #226757 by

Kohadre wrote: Freedom of speech means the goverment cant come and arrest or exexute you.

This. But I also think people are free to spew their nonsense and are entitled to their opinion. Look at the confederate flag issue, if people want to fly that flag they can whether they just think it is cool or if it's part of their history and culture regardless of what other people think it means. But maybe since it's not physical speaking the flag doesn't count?

If people are spewing nonsense it's anyone else right to debate and argue with it or just ignore it, the second you stop someone from expressing themselves you allow yourself to be stopped at some point too. Don't get me wrong though, there's a lot of utter nonsense that can be spewed such as racist rhetoric, but even then the hates peech laws and what not are kind of anti-freedom of speech. There are laws on the books for when it gets physical.

It gets tricky though because some places don't want anyone to be spreading Nazi or other types of propaganda, or citicizing of governments or what have you. There are a lot of people who can be duped into believing certain things, like ISIS recruiting, that an authority might say is because of free speech. :lol:

More
8 years 1 month ago #226829 by Kohadre

Lightstrider wrote:

Kohadre wrote: Freedom of speech means the goverment cant come and arrest or exexute you.

This. But I also think people are free to spew their nonsense and are entitled to their opinion. Look at the confederate flag issue, if people want to fly that flag they can whether they just think it is cool or if it's part of their history and culture regardless of what other people think it means. But maybe since it's not physical speaking the flag doesn't count?

If people are spewing nonsense it's anyone else right to debate and argue with it or just ignore it, the second you stop someone from expressing themselves you allow yourself to be stopped at some point too. Don't get me wrong though, there's a lot of utter nonsense that can be spewed such as racist rhetoric, but even then the hates peech laws and what not are kind of anti-freedom of speech. There are laws on the books for when it gets physical.

It gets tricky though because some places don't want anyone to be spreading Nazi or other types of propaganda, or citicizing of governments or what have you. There are a lot of people who can be duped into believing certain things, like ISIS recruiting, that an authority might say is because of free speech. :lol:

Strider, you know i'm a fan of yours, but come on.

Nobody is entitled to an opinion, at least not in the sense that it should be accepted by others regardless of how accurate or audacious it may be.

We go through years of mandatory education in my country for the sole purpose of ensuring that the citizen public has innacurate and dangerous views checked and corrected during years of childhood and adolescence.

Those who spout innaccurate or dangerous views do, and should have backlash from the community they reside in, as it is one of the few things that keeps the social structure healthy and functional.

As for who gets to decide what views are considered radical, that decision is, has been, and will continue to be made by groups of democratic communities deciding what influences and values they want projected upon themselves and their youth.

Many people dont like that they cant go and do whatever they please while still maintaining an unrestrained degree of societal acceptance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #226893 by

Kohadre wrote: Strider, you know i'm a fan of yours, but come on.

Nobody is entitled to an opinion, at least not in the sense that it should be accepted by others regardless of how accurate or audacious it may be.

We go through years of mandatory education in my country for the sole purpose of ensuring that the citizen public has innacurate and dangerous views checked and corrected during years of childhood and adolescence.

Those who spout innaccurate or dangerous views do, and should have backlash from the community they reside in, as it is one of the few things that keeps the social structure healthy and functional.

As for who gets to decide what views are considered radical, that decision is, has been, and will continue to be made by groups of democratic communities deciding what influences and values they want projected upon themselves and their youth.

Many people dont like that they cant go and do whatever they please while still maintaining an unrestrained degree of societal acceptance.

Oh I agree with you there. I just meant that if someone does have a unique, opposing or even such opinion like you say they can and should express it but yes they should and will receive a argument or backlash and therefor they would hopefully learn.

If someone were learning about something that forms an extreme opinion and they know they can't talk about it they may end up just doing something crazy and physical because they knew not to communicate it that would allow for some early intervention.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #226894 by
From what I've read it seems to be a debate of freedom vs etiquette. In the US you can say anything that doesn't violate another or cause danger. This does not mean there won't be consequences if it doesn't match the views of those listening. It also doesn't mean I have to listen.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi