Land of Tomorrow

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #210385 by
Replied by on topic Land of Tomorrow

Streen wrote: I'm sorry, I guess I just don't see where you're headed with that. :\

Was that in relation to my post? If so, I found that the idea of a 'Universal Library' might present the possibility of the same kinds of problems as the movie, Land of Tomorrow. In this case, say, someone stumbles across such a library and opens a book that says the world will end in a while, giving an exact account and the names of those responsible. The book could be true or could be nearly true or utterly false. That person then does what? That's sort of like the movie, I think. People who would use such a library might make the world precisely in the way they thought to avoid, but end up making anyway.

I took it into slightly other areas too. What if that person discovered a library of that kind, but also met the Librarian?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #210387 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Land of Tomorrow

ETSubmariner wrote: What if that person discovered a library of that kind, but also met the Librarian?

If I met the librarian I'd get all [strike]dewy[/strike] dewey in the knees :lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #210469 by
Replied by on topic Land of Tomorrow

say, someone stumbles across such a library and opens a book that says the world will end in a while, giving an exact account and the names of those responsible

Ah I see. So, a paradox :) Interesting point. That hadn't occurred to me when I saw the movie, but it was there under the surface. So basically what we're talking about is predestination vs. free will. You think? :ohmy:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi