What would be in the temple?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #206300 by
Replied by on topic What would be in the temple?
TOTJO is a 501(c)3 meaning it is a not-for-profiit organization. Typically these arr exempt from taxes but it depends on where the income is coming from and how much.

There are groups that meet offline regularly already. Any place can be a temple with the right people in it.

As for a more permanent temple, I'd expect we would have to look for an existing structure for sale or rent. No way we're building our own any time soon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #206304 by
I have a vision of a congregation on the second or third floor of a converted factory building in Seattle, WA. Large floor plan with enough large rooms to accommodate our training and development.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #206307 by
I wonder if there are any unsued temples or monastaries. We'd have to redecorate a little of course and hopefully could be self sufficeint. Not sure how much the cost would be to rent or buy it or even build an entirely new temple or monastery.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #206341 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic What would be in the temple?
about a year ago there was a christian youth camp for sale near where i live...complete with steeple, cabins, kitchen/mess hall, pool, etc...and it was only $400,000....too bad i was out of pocket change at the time... :woohoo:

there is another thread with one of the designs me and another member were bouncing back and forth....i've also done a few different 3d renderings using chief architect....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by RyuJin.

More
8 years 6 months ago #206360 by Carlos.Martinez3
I'll be your huckleberry...

A library... with many places, and resources.

The library at my old Bible College was wonderful cuz they were open 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. So many books... so few hours...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #206435 by
Would anyone be up for a temple? Or a monastery? Monastery sounds better since you can actually live in it and they can be self sufficient. Did anyone have designs for a temple or monastery? Be it from Star Wars or from certain drawings?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #206490 by
For what purpose?

A church/temple/monastery is generally founded as a meeting place for worshipers of a like minded belief system. Very few of these structures are used as permanent residential housing, and even fewer of those are permanent religious communities.

There are reasons why many people dream of living on a monastery, but very few actually do. To live a monastic life, is to forsake the rest of the world. You retreat into a secluded manner of living which is dedicated to the study and practice of your belief system. You rely on others to provide for your fundamental needs, while contributing very little of value in return, aside from faith based advice and encouragement.

When I hear people clamor for Jedi temples, I can't help but imagine this is what they are really calling for. To me, they are calling for a place where they can go to be isolated from the rest of the world's influence, and retreat into their own close-mindedness.

This in fact, is the very literal definition of monasticism.

It does not make sense to have a physical structure, when the Jedi are so few numbered, and so diversely spread. With the name of the religion, and the popularity of the fiction which it associates, it is highly unlikely many will ever seriously convert over. Many have, do, and will continue to see this as a religion full of eccentrics and gullible individuals.

It is unfortunate, but it remains true.

To become a monk is to retard yourself spiritually. It is only through the worlds influence upon us, that we grow, learn, and adapt. We need to be part of the world around us in order to gain a higher understanding of our existence, as isolating our-self and seeking the same is a pointless and useless endeavor.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #206509 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic What would be in the temple?
Retreats, courses, gatherings type of things would benefit... but that must presume that either an individual or entity can afford to own it. Whether its permanently staffed or actively/continuously hosting Jedi would depend on the individual freedoms and wealth available I guess - unless the Temple is running as a (notforprofit) business on its own, as a going concern... perhaps farming to cover costs or something like that. There are different ways a Temple can be approached but I think only those who can afford to run it should even seriously consider doing it... doesn't stop us planning or imagining though!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Adder.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #206516 by

Spartanmeup wrote: For what purpose?

A church/temple/monastery is generally founded as a meeting place for worshipers of a like minded belief system. Very few of these structures are used as permanent residential housing, and even fewer of those are permanent religious communities.

There are reasons why many people dream of living on a monastery, but very few actually do. To live a monastic life, is to forsake the rest of the world. You retreat into a secluded manner of living which is dedicated to the study and practice of your belief system. You rely on others to provide for your fundamental needs, while contributing very little of value in return, aside from faith based advice and encouragement.

When I hear people clamor for Jedi temples, I can't help but imagine this is what they are really calling for. To me, they are calling for a place where they can go to be isolated from the rest of the world's influence, and retreat into their own close-mindedness.

This in fact, is the very literal definition of monasticism.

It does not make sense to have a physical structure, when the Jedi are so few numbered, and so diversely spread. With the name of the religion, and the popularity of the fiction which it associates, it is highly unlikely many will ever seriously convert over. Many have, do, and will continue to see this as a religion full of eccentrics and gullible individuals.

It is unfortunate, but it remains true.

To become a monk is to retard yourself spiritually. It is only through the worlds influence upon us, that we grow, learn, and adapt. We need to be part of the world around us in order to gain a higher understanding of our existence, as isolating our-self and seeking the same is a pointless and useless endeavor.

Actually not really. A monk doesn't always renounce all of society. Some actually travel to serve others but are frugal when it comes to worldly possessions and living in a monastery doesn't necessary mean you renounce society. It's a temple that you all live in and take your vows. There's more than one definition to this. Jedi are not nearly as rare as people think. They are spread out but a monastery doesn't even have to be extravagant. Just a place to live in. To say they are close-minded is a gross exaggeration.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206938 by

TheDude wrote: I like to think that a Jedi Temple would have a nice little hangout room with huge bean bag chairs for everyone to enjoy.
And all the rest of that stuff people have been saying. :P

A Jedi temple can't be a Jedi temple without huge bean bag chairs. :P

It should be a place of learning, recreation and spiritual development. I imagine it'd have a huge library. :D Or it could be a Monastery. Just need to get it started in a city with the highest concentration of Jedi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi