What Makes Us Uncomfortable Might Be Just What We Need

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #205233 by Breeze el Tierno
What Makes Us Uncomfortable Might Be Just What We Need

First off, congratulations to Svetlana Alexievich on her Nobel. Her work inspires.

Second, thoughts on this article? I share the frustration of Michel Martin regarding the elevation of comfort. But I am also sensitive to the balancing act required. How does one avoid slipping into the morass of d-baggery that usually starts with a calculated effort to harm followed by the cowardly plea of innocence: Hey man, you just can't handle my realness! I'm only saying what everyone is thinking!

That gets old fast.

I think there is absolutely a place for civility in dialogue, but the difficult truth often make us squirm. Perhaps we need to squirm sometimes. It is clearly not an either/or discussion.

Anyway, thoughts?
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Breeze el Tierno. Reason: Grammar
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #205267 by rugadd
To be able to bring a person to the idea on their own, so that THEY question it, so that THEY make themselves uncomfortable...my experience tells me this has the most impact and sincerity of change.

But two things are required. You must be able to understand fully how they think and you must be certain them understanding what you have to say is beneficial to them as well the world around them.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #205271 by
It is true that we do need to be made uncomfortable some times. Would man have flown if we only did what was comfortable? Would we have gone into space? To the Moon? Deep into the ocean? All of these things required us to be uncomfortable.

More
8 years 5 months ago #205277 by Adder
I reckon people will interpret the experience of discomfort in the context of how they got there and therefore how to get out of it.... so I think its a really important thing for people to do themselves, so they are doing it for the right reasons and can manage it as a process.

Otherwise I think its most often counter-productive to make 'others' uncomfortable - unless the agreement and understanding exists for it to avoid the traps which might see people asserting blame for the discomfort and spending all their energy trying to escape it or meter out retribution etc. Work is a simple example, your boss makes you do stuff you'd rather not be in exchange for money & career, while volunteer work needs an associated mindset to justify the effort, versus being made to do something burdensome for someone for no other reason/compensation.

Though even that could have benefit for some people, as I'd guess sometimes discomfort could simply be unfamiliarity or even fear of the unknown. Then again, being uncomfortable about something could be from experience and prior learnings for very valid reasons too I guess.

So on one hand I'm like mind your own business and keep your truth to yourself, and on the other its the truth will set us free so have at it. I guess the measure of what might seem best practice is the nature of relationship between the two parties in the exchange.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 5 months ago #205278 by rugadd
This is exactly what good teachers do.

rugadd

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi