Event: Day of Meditation for Harvey Victims- This Sunday

More
6 years 6 months ago #300272 by Alethea Thompson
https://www.facebook.com/events/114235649260921/?active_tab=about

If you can join us, it is scheduled for 3-4PM in your respective time zones on Sunday.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: FTPC

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300302 by
What is this supposed to accomplish? I guess I'm wondering what the goal is?

More
6 years 6 months ago #300303 by Alethea Thompson
Some might send energy to those in need, some might meditate on what they can personally do to help the victims

They only goal is that the meditation is focused on improving the welfare of Harvey's victims.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300304 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: What is this supposed to accomplish? I guess I'm wondering what the goal is?

The event page in question encourages people to give relief aid. At the very minimum it raises awareness of relief efforts.
Some of our fellow Jedi believe in a unifying force that can be manipulated to send positive or healing energies. I imagine that this helps serve that purpose.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300305 by
I can appreciate that but isn't meditation primarally about introspection? Now I can see how that could guide some to be convicted to greater service and that's awesome but "energy" itself is not going to feed the hungry or quench a thirst or give blankets to the cold or resurrect a drowned pet. Energy needs to be coupled with action or it's useless.

As an example a local pagan group I know of this week collected 16 cases of water, 6 bags of rice and nearly $500 that was donated to a local relief effort. To me this is energy coupled with action. I just wish i would see more of this sort of thing from the Jedi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300310 by
There are many many forms of meditation. Not all of them are introspective, though the term is biased that way in western culture.

I agree. I'd like to see us take up more causes.

More
6 years 6 months ago #300311 by JamesSand
These guys seem as good as anyone to give money to, but who really knows?

https://teamrubiconusa.org/

I'm not making any great (or any effort at all) to support or send aid regarding this situation - It's well outside my, uhh, sphere of problems, I guess.

having said that, I am familiar enough with emergency assistance and clean up efforts, so to everyone involved -
do what you've gotta do.

Also to everyone involved: If you've never been in flooding before - Listen to the damn experts. Stupid risks are stupid, and if you become another victim you're one less person who CAN help, and another person who NEEDS help, so think before heroics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300327 by
I too favor action over just meditation and raising awareness and I understand that not all of the Jedi believe in the force. I am a scientist. I was trained to question and be skeptical of everything but I know there are many things our current level of Science cannot explain. I do know that our universe is full of electro-magnetic energy. It is within and surrounds us and everything in our universe. I also know that there are many things seen and unseen, understood and not understood about this energy. It behaves as a living organism rather than a stable effect. Is this the force? I don't know but I do know it does exist, science has proven that. But our scientific understanding is just too limited currently to understand how it works and what affects it. What causes one type of cellular mass to live and another to not? It's this energy that is life.

Forgive me, I am a relative newcomer to the Temple and I have no wish to offend anyone.

There are times many of us would prefer to act but are simply unable to do so. There are also those who believe that by focusing their thoughts and intentions they can guide the force into providing assistance to those in need. I would suggest that because we do not understand how exactly our universe works that nothing is lost by trying to help in any and every way we can. One hour of focusing ones will and intentions and positive thoughts to those in need seems a small price to pay in the hopes of making a difference. It can't hurt. Don't we move through this world and influence our outcomes by focusing our will and intentions to achieve our goals? Is this that different? We are using the energy within us in a different way than physical action.

I have been in dark places a couple of times in my life. When suddenly for reasons I cannot explain I am led to the assistance I needed which had not been in place an hour before. In one of these times I was told later that the leader of the persons who came to my aid had just had a feeling that his team needed to be at this place now and had acted. I had never met him or any of his team before. I do not have any explanations for what happened in this instance or any other of these times.

I would urge those who can act to act and those who are willing to join in the meditation to do this as well. It can't hurt and may prove to be more useful than anyone could ever imagine. If, however, you can act and choose only to meditate and call it good you are letting yourself down and keeping yourself from your full potential. Everything we can do to help others in need is what we should do.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #300374 by
Sorry seeksthelight but it does hurt. Every hour of wasted effort in useless introspection is an hour lost to help. Energy does not translate to physical need. How about spending an hour in moving meditation, as Je'daii do, while doing whatever job you hold down with the intent of donating that hours wages to relief efforts? That is an effective use of meditation. The rest is just mental masturbation to make your ego feel better.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300392 by
Kyrin dial it down a notch, please. This forum isn't here to shove your opinions down the throats of others.