• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #273514 by
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/movies/star-wars-jedi-temple.html?_r=0

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #273517 by Zenchi
Daniel described the TOTJO as a "fundamentally Christian organization, not sure if he meant that as an insult or if that's what he honestly believes... :dry:

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger

More
7 years 2 months ago #273518 by Leah Starspectre

Zenchi wrote: Daniel described the TOTJO as a "fundamentally Christian organization, not sure if he meant that as an insult or if that's what he honestly believes... :dry:

I was struck by that section too, but I think not clear in the wording if he was talking about us, or his own Church...

More
7 years 2 months ago #273523 by Manu

Zenchi wrote: Daniel described the TOTJO as a "fundamentally Christian organization, not sure if he meant that as an insult or if that's what he honestly believes... :dry:

Given that the TotJO Creed is obviously based on a Christian prayer, it's not that far a stretch. Most of the western world is Christian, so it's not without reason that lots of Christian teachings and values will find their way into Jediism. And that's not a bad thing.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #273525 by
Replied by on topic Jedi can be a Religion NY Times

Leah Starspectre wrote:

I was struck by that section too, but I think not clear in the wording if he was talking about us, or his own Church...

Yea.. plus news organizations are notorious for misquotong, or completely fabricating a quote all together. Ie: I went tl a.grand opening of a bar in Manhatten a few years back and the times was thier reporting and asked to use me.in the article. Took pictures and what not. They used my name and photo.. and put in quotes that were completely fabricated. I said nothong of the sort.... Take this article for whst its worth. Free publicity really. Thats it. They trying to also obviously capitalize on the title announcement yesterday for clicks...

More
7 years 2 months ago #273529 by Zenchi

Magnus Staar wrote:

Given that the TotJO Creed is obviously based on a Christian prayer, it's not that far a stretch. Most of the western world is Christian, so it's not without reason that lots of Christian teachings and values will find their way into Jediism. And that's not a bad thing.

That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it of course. Not everyone would agree as not everyone here is Christian...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
7 years 2 months ago #273534 by Manu

Zenchi wrote: That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it of course. Not everyone would agree as not everyone here is Christian...

Of course. :)

Neither am I.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #273541 by
Replied by on topic Jedi can be a Religion NY Times

Leah Starspectre wrote:

I found the wording fairly obvious. he was talking about the temple. And I also think it was derogatory given his and johns history. :laugh:

More
7 years 2 months ago #273550 by J. K. Barger
Nice to have some positive press on it, even if the Charity Commission didn't vibe with us..

The Force is with you, always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Loudzoo

More
7 years 2 months ago #273561 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Jedi can be a Religion NY Times
Great job guys! Wonderfully articulated responses, as ever... :)

Thank you for representing us so well!

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Cyan Sarden, Loudzoo