TotJO in the Daily mail

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269086 by
TotJO in the Daily mail was created by
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4048730/The-Force-not-Jedi-order-charity-application.html?ito=whatsapp_share_mobile-top

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #269089 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic TotJO in the Daily mail
While comments are open, which may not be for long, feel free to chime in. I just posted mine. I made it clear The Order is recognized in The US. Many will not know. None of the articles I've see about this so far mentioned that.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269090 by
Replied by on topic TotJO in the Daily mail
yea...posted my thoughts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269091 by
Sadly, I will have to wait until I get home to read it. My work internet blocks the Daily Mail, most likely because it doesn't recognize it as a legitimate news site. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269092 by

Charity watchdog risks the wrath of Star Wars fans by ruling Jedi is a 'lifestyle choice' not a proper religion
The Charities Commission refused to register the Temple of the Jedi Order
Said not everything presenting itself as a religion should be recognised as one
Insisted Jedis were engaging in a 'lifestyle choice' rather than having faith

Jedi is a 'lifestyle choice' and not a proper religion, the charity watchdog has ruled.

The verdict, which risks the wrath of Star Wars fans, came after an organisation called the 'Temple of the Jedi Order' tried to join the official register.

In the application, its purpose was listed as advancing the religion of 'Jediism' for 'the public benefit worldwide' and in line with the so-called Jedi Doctrine.

Despite the famous mysticism of characters including small green guru Yoda, the commission said 'everything that chooses to call itself a religion' should not be recognised as a religion
Despite the famous mysticism of characters including small green guru Yoda, the commission said 'everything that chooses to call itself a religion' should not be recognised as a religion

Fans have been worked up into a fervour by the release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, starring Felicity Jones
Fans have been worked up into a fervour by the release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, starring Felicity Jones

It defined Jediism as: 'A religion based on the observance of the Force, the ubiquitous and metaphysical power that a Jedi (a follower of Jediism) believes to be the underlying, fundamental nature of the universe.'

But the Charities Commission for England and Wales said it was not eligible to feature on the list of 'Charities Incorporated Organisations'.

The watchdog was not satisfied that the organisation would be 'established for exclusively charitable purposes for the advancement of religion and/or the promotion of moral and ethical improvement for the benefit of the public'.

Despite the famous mysticism of characters including small green guru Yoda, the commission noted that 'everything that chooses to call itself a religion' should not be recognised as a religion.

Officials were also unconvinced by evidence proposed to support Jediism as a legitimate faith.

'The Commission is not satisfied that the observance of the Force within Jediism is characterised by a belief in one or more gods or spiritual or non-secular principles or things which is an essential requirement for a religion in charity law,' the ruling said.

Pointing out that the Temple of the Jedi Order was an entirely web-based organisation, the watchdog said practices cited within its online community may be adopted as 'a lifestyle choice as opposed to a religion'.

The commission's decision will disappoint members of the Temple of the Jedi Order and fans who have been worked up into a fervour by the release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

The new film has been eagerly anticipated by Star Wars fans, many of whom attended special screenings at one minute past midnight the day of its release.

It has received generally good reviews.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4048730/The-Force-not-Jedi-order-charity-application.html#ixzz4TPCMlhXe
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

More
7 years 3 months ago #269096 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic TotJO in the Daily mail
The fact that the article was presented with stills from Star Wars films instead of a picture of our website, for example, and talks about the new film, is yet more evidence that, for all our efforts, it is going to take a hell of a lot to divest our image from the films. With future films to be released I now feel that any efforts we have towards this will be in vain. Perhaps we may have to accept that the word 'Jedi' is never going to let us split from the films.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269098 by
I don't feel that it should. And I have said it over and over and over again. Call yourself a Jedi and claim to believe in "The Force" and you WILL ALWAYS BE CONNECTED TO STAR WARS.

Always.

Thats not a bad thing :) IMO

However, it forever will amaze me how facts and research elude people.

"The group is worked up into a frenzy over Rouge One."

Pffffffft.....Asides for myself and the random mention of the new movie in chat....I've not seen Rouge One talked about here...at All XD haha No Frenzy here! XD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269102 by

Edan wrote: The fact that the article was presented with stills from Star Wars films instead of a picture of our website, for example, and talks about the new film, is yet more evidence that, for all our efforts, it is going to take a hell of a lot to divest our image from the films. With future films to be released I now feel that any efforts we have towards this will be in vain. Perhaps we may have to accept that the word 'Jedi' is never going to let us split from the films.

The problem is that many don't make those efforts. Some even fight against those efforts. Almost everything that occurs on this board is mingled with the fiction. Case in point is the recent thread started about "aspects of Kenobe" and Triskars comments above.

Now I'm not saying any of those things are bad or incorrect philosophies. Maybe they are correct philosophies but I do understand your comments as well. In fact its for these very reasons that I have always struggled with the definitions (or lack there of) that define this path and I have been studying it for a while LOL. To the casual observer, followers of a real life Jedi path must seem quite schizophrenic.

If Jedi cant agree among themselves what they believe and what doctrines are relevant how do they expect anyone else accept the path as valid? Seems Jedi need to get their own house in order but how does the community come to a consensus on what decor will be implemented?
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago #269104 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Seems Jedi need to get their own house in order but how does the community come to a consensus on what decor will be implemented?

Well....*Cough*GFC*Cough**Cough*

Ahem...Sorry....Furr Ball ;)

In the end it will all be ok. We still have much work to do....but we already knew that :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #269106 by
I've never understood the whole "All the Jedi groups need to agree on everything" stance. How many Christian Churches are the same? How many Mosques teach different views and interpretations of the Koran. How many...you get the idea.

Every religion has deviations and splits within it's own ranks. No two groups are exactly the same even if they share the same name. It's unrealistic to expect that all the Jedi will somehow be able to unify in a way that no religion has since the dawn of religion.

As for separation from the fiction, we will never escape it and we shouldn't try. We just need to remember that we are not limited to/by it.

And as for how we're viewed by the rest of the world. Who cares? I know and that's good enough.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .