If we had to change...

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #261899 by Breeze el Tierno
Let us pretend that the Disney people come knocking on our door about our use of the term Jedi. Let us say that we are issued a cease and desist order and, for the sake of arguement, that Br. John and the Council agree without arguement.

So, now we have to call ourselves and what we do something else.

What do you feel that would change? What would those changes mean?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Breeze el Tierno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #261903 by
Replied by on topic If we had to change...
Beyond the change in the website header and URL, it would mean very little to me. People might have a harder time finding us, but we shouldn't be about racking up huge membership numbers anyway.

I admire the creativity of George Lucas and the Star Wars movies are entertaining to me, but they do not encompass all there is to be learned and experienced along my path. Terms like "Jedi" and "Force" are apt for describing what we do here, but they are surely not the only words that could convey the meaning.

I will always look to the source material that inspired Lucas along with the thousands of other sources of wisdom available to me and shared with me by teachers here. The path will be the same regardless of what I choose to call it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #261909 by
Per Wikipedia:

The word "jedi" is said to have been adapted by George Lucas from Japanese 時代劇 (jidaigeki) (meaning "period drama" motion pictures about samurai),[2] or perhaps inspired by the words Jed (King) and Jeddak (Emperor) in the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, a series that Lucas considered adapting to film.[3][4]

I personally would lean towards something rooted in history like this, and 'myth' as well. I think there's a plethora of options, but I doubt it's a road we'll ever have to cross in my own opinion. Said discussion I feel would be large, and very hard to reach a consensus on, which is another reason I hope it doesn't come to pass. ;)

More
7 years 5 months ago #261919 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic If we had to change...
I was thinking the exact same thing today Cabur. My thoughts on it were that I'm very glad that Lucas didn't name "The Force" using a less generic noun, like Akasha, or something. Presumably they can't copyright the word 'Force'!

If we were forced ;) to drop the word 'Jedi' I reckon we could re-name the website along the lines of 'Temple of the Order of The Force'. Instead of calling ourselves Jedi we could be Force Templars, perhaps.

In any case, I wouldn't mind too much. New names would take a bit of getting used to but it might even be beneficial in some ways. It might just distance ourselves enough from the movies such that we're not mistaken for roleplayers, or people trying to develop 'supernatural' powers!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Breeze el Tierno, Tellahane

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #261920 by
I like to think positively, I do not think we will be forced to change our name. It's not like we're of any threat to Disney, or scamming them out of profit. If anything, we're drawing them more publicity!

That being said, if we were forced to change our names, it would be a huge change. Our name, doctrine and website would all have to undergo changes which would be precarious in the short term. However I am certain the Force would provide and that in the long term, it would not do us harm.

The thought that crosses my mind is that being a "Jedi" is no longer a thing of fiction. It is now regarded by many as a very real religion, philosophy or way of life. Presuming that a defence were to be mounted about the changing of our name, surely that would come into play?

Wether we change or not though, my loyalty lies with this Temple; no matter what tag it has on it. I can say now confidently that I am a Jedi, and no change of name will ever stop me being one.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #261924 by
Why is there such attachment to these terms, Force and Jedi? Why do we allow them to define us and why do we fight so hard to keep them? If this is in question, as it seems to be just based on recent conversations here, why not be proactive and enact change now? I saw somewhere that someone at the temple had questioned our legal integrity over this issue simply because the use of the terms were in question. Why put ourselves through this? If we truly hold no attachement to the movies to define our spirituality what does a name even mean? After all we all know what attachment leads to, right?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

More
7 years 5 months ago #261931 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic If we had to change...
People will probably use whatever speaks the most to them, if not for the reason it is the most effective (unless of course the label is nothing more then a label). If something fictional represents that quite closely then its a powerful tool I guess to include imagination more freely without feeling a bit heretical. Though how much freedom is too much freedom is something I'll have to chew on...

.. but I doubt too many will stop practicing if the name changes. I was doing this for well over 20 years before I thought of using the label to help refine my path more succinctly.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
7 years 5 months ago #261948 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic If we had to change...

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Why is there such attachment to these terms, Force and Jedi? Why do we allow them to define us and why do we fight so hard to keep them? If this is in question, as it seems to be just based on recent conversations here, why not be proactive and enact change now? I saw somewhere that someone at the temple had questioned our legal integrity over this issue simply because the use of the terms were in question. Why put ourselves through this? If we truly hold no attachement to the movies to define our spirituality what does a name even mean? After all we all know what attachment leads to, right?

Why do we use words at all, why not pictures, why not songs, why not touch to describe ourselves? The fact of the matter you can rid yourself of labels all you want but at some point you have to be able to communicate, and as others have said if they are looking for jediism and you call it oranges, how is anyone really going to know? At some point you must define it so if you do, do you define it by what most people are going to recognize and be able to read it, or write it in pig latin for only the heavily dedicated and curious who won't know what it is until its translated in the first place?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #261981 by

Tellahane wrote: Why do we use words at all, why not pictures, why not songs, why not touch to describe ourselves? The fact of the matter you can rid yourself of labels all you want but at some point you have to be able to communicate, and as others have said if they are looking for jediism and you call it oranges, how is anyone really going to know? At some point you must define it so if you do, do you define it by what most people are going to recognize and be able to read it, or write it in pig latin for only the heavily dedicated and curious who won't know what it is until its translated in the first place?

I don't recall saying anywhere to stop using language. :huh:
I'm saying we should not be attached to a name to define a spirituality, especially if the legality of using that name is in question. People will learn of this path the same way any other spirituality grows, through word of mouth and through example and even through the teachings. Are you limiting this spirituality to the internet and subsequent google searches? Are you saying we should be advertising or recruiting and the only way to gain membership is through association with an imaginary universes fictional lore? If you are, you are missing the point of the faith in the first place and have hopelessly entangled what this path truly stands for with the Star Wars movies. They are not the same thing and I would suggest you rethink your approach my friend.

More
7 years 5 months ago #261983 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic If we had to change...
Star Knights, maybe?

rugadd