Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Desolous

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 04:17 #29012

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Sweet Baby Jesus!

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 05:43 #29016

OK Tatsujin - firstly - I NEVER once said wiki was authoritative - never have and never will, im fully aware of its open source operation - as are most if not all our readers (or at least the adult readers) - I said its accurate.

There are hundreds of possible sources for this information, including the main scouting group website.

Im English born n bred - so if it makes you feel cosy inside - lets put it this way - Im giving the english historical version of the founding of the scouting movement - which funnily enough happens to be the nationality of Powell.

Another point - I dont see any 'grey area' in terms of the history - we're talking late 19th/early 20th century here - not several hundred years ago.

Neither did I once say the scouts and military are the same - you dont seriously think im that ignorant do you? This temple has DOZENS of active service personal, from all the forces from many nationalities - and as many if not more ex-servicemen/women. TOTJO also has regular interaction with the military for various reasons - and whilst I personally have not served - every generation of my family up to the current HAS served King/Queen and country - and has so dating back some 800+ years - im well aware of how the military functions thank you.

As a side note - linked to above point about language - I went somewhat out of my way to 'defend' you or at least put it to everyone else that perhaps youd been misunderstood - im starting to think 'why did I bother'

Have you had enough of the masters in this thread because you dont like being challenged over your statements?

To be blunt - a number of your posts have been quite abrasive - generally I put this down to language differences and the limitations of text conversations - I tend to cut everyone slack (when they are new or reasonably new) just in case its 'new comers defensive syndrome' or something - yet in an earlier post, you said

Tatsujin wrote:
If anything would make me want to leave, it's being put in a position to explain myself any time I affirm what the order is doing because someone is used to being assailed by people who don't get it.

yet your doing exactly this to others time n again.

Youve also said your seen as opinionated/snobby etc - have you wondered why this is? Perhaps lines such as this

Tatsujin wrote:
The third thought that crosses my mind is that I'm an intellectual who can post with clarity and defend myself well. This comes off to most people as being overly opinionated and snobby, so I can gather that when combining the three thoughts would result in people not reading what I'm writing and assuming their way through.

will explain this.

Your not the only one to have run many sites, your not the only one with any level of intellect but from the little I have experienced of you thus far is mainly your guilty of everything your pointing at others for. Most of the longer standing members here treat 'attacks' like water off a duck back- everyone has a different perspective of everything, one persons 'fact' maybe another's fantasy - history is written by the victors as they say.

I certainly am not going to disagree with your final line.

So back on topic - I think in terms of ranks etc - those who are 'rank haters' maybe have not quite thought about what the rank means. Just because one does not appreciate why another has a rank or title should not mean that they have no respect to the individual. Of course, respect is a mutual thing, but if your in a place (physically or otherwise) where ranks are used - it is only good manners to use the appropriate titles etc. You would expect a 'guest' in your home to treat you with respect and abide by your rules - so its simple course to do the same - be it in a home, public building, website or other place.

From what ive seen elsewhere - the main cause of problems in this regard is lack of understanding of what the title or rank means - with the knowledge of what they mean and what the function of the title and or individual - one can often avoid looking foolish or worse - ignorant.

Yes, respect is two way traffic - but someone has to 'go first' - so by showing the appropriate respect - youll be off to a good start in a given situation. As said, there will always be the little hitlers - but they are easy to identify, just keep calm and polite but dont fuel their rage or ego - if necessary, walk away - it takes at least two to fight ;)

As a final note - I have one irritation in terms of ranks and titles - its folks who (as an example) INSIST on being called 'Major' or whatever - when the last time they were in active service was in WW2. OK, they earned the rank in the military at the time, but military and civilian life is very different - most civies wont understand the ranks anyway and its especially maddening to see/hear elderly 'Majors' (again an example) get cross with say a 20 year old for not using the title. Whats the point? they will have only legitimatly had the title for a couple or so years anyway and once out of service - is the 'rank' theirs toi use anyway?

Would a serving soldier now, follow an 'order' from a guy who was a major 60years ago? I very much doubt it - so why do such folk think others should treat them differently. If you really want the name used - get your name changed by law (deed poll in the UK)

This really does only serve to feed the ego of the title holder - and at the end of the day - its only a word, a badge - it has no actual value and like money - you cant take it with you.

Everyone is equal in death and within the force ;)

MTFBWY - A
"If you don't like or agree with the way we do things here, you know where the door is"

" What we do in life - echoes an eternity!"

Pastor Emeritus - Apprentice To Br John

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Feb 2010 23:48 #29039

Wow Tatsujin you really carried this a long way since I was last on.

Maybe we should withdraw from this subject or change the subject?

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 00:11 #29040

• stevef
been on and off for a while, and I just noticed a clever post saying lets be respectful and call people by rank or title.
Wow, for a simple point this thread got really complicated... scouts and the UK and the military!

here's my rule of thumb and it seems to make sense:
if They are a master Call them Master X. I use the username in shout and the forums. If they are an apprentice call them Apprentice X or I think Padawan is acceptable to most. or Brother or Sister.
Knights Sir Madam or Brother Sister
If you and them are the same rank Brother or Sister is fine.
If you don't know and are too lazy to find out Brother or Sister.
Ya we can use the full title or multiple titles but it's less about who's what than being respectful of all of us. let me say that again, it's about respecting your fellow jedi.

if you look at the films, all the jedi were called by a title even by Palpatine, who hated them and wanted to destroy all jedi. If he can bite the bullet so can we.

but maybe I'm too simple to be in this conversation.

MTFBWY

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 23:15 #29054

• Jaden
  • ID: 1092
I been reading the whole thread and I would like to bring my small contribution in, saying what I think about ranks.

First of all I never see the rank, I see the person behind it and use the rank to get an idea about the amount of knowledge and work that person had until now. For instance I am an apprentice and it describes exactly what I am: a person that has more to learn in order to be able to teach others. As Kana Seiko Haruki said in one of the posts, a master is a normal human being which never looses the desire to learn and improve oneself for the good of others and make this world a better place.

We could put it this way: you call the one that gave you birth \"mother\". This is a rank. Before she gave birth she was a woman, she didn't knew how it feels and what it means to be a mother unless she had a child. This goes the same with our ranks: when you join in you know few things or maybe nothing about jediism. Later on as you learn your perception about life and other matters change, the ranks are there to remind of who you were and where you reached.

I personally see ranks as a tool to help new members and make the bound between members stronger. For instance when I will be called Master I wouldn't feel any different from what I feel now (it will just make me remember always about my duties and responsibilities I have towards the Temple and it's members)but I certainly know that a new member will come to me and ask for help because he/she would know that I am among those who know about TOTJO.

And yeah it's a matter of respect also. It's your choice if you want to use the ranks or not but I wonder if you would call your boss by his/her name, if you would call your school teacher by name and so on. As long as you see it JUST as a matter of respect you shouldn't feel offended yourself when others tell you to follow this simple rule and use the ranks.

Hope I managed to explain these things well as english is not my native language. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 26 Feb 2010 23:22 #29062

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Yes you did Jaden very well indeed.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 27 Feb 2010 22:48 #29068

• Jestor
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
The comparrison to 'mother'... awesome..

VERY well done Jaden....
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Graduated Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Edan, Knight Brenna, Senior Knight Firewolf
Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Llama Su, Trisskar

Life is just a party, and parties weren't made to last..." ~1999 by Prince~

"Questions and answers, sometimes there are no answers and sometimes the answer is yet more questions." ~Elizabeth~

"I don't have any answers, only more questions..." ~me~
Latest Posts Comments Sermons
    • Cultural Sensitivity/Appropriation and Anger (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: How would you feel about that? As an entity, this place is more defined. A culture by contrast seems vastly harder to define to me.... too dynamic and with porous 'borders'. We'd not want to start making boundaries around something which is no longer bounded. Whatever changes need to be made to the law will be used and tested, so what will this change really be once it becomes manifest outside of our own personal justified concerns! But what you describe happens all the time, wherever the laws and/or circumstance allow it, as I mentioned earlier it seems to be human nature to copy, mimic, borrow or steal. It's happened to me personally on more then one occasion. Heck it even happens within the same culture - where if it continues its classified as change or difference but its actual originality is only measured by its survival, not its genuine creativity - as it might have well be stolen from someone else within that culture to begin with. So it seems to come down to how well you protect what is yours, how willing and able you are to defend it.... but we are not wild animals. We now know the concept of 'ownership' is conditional upon the society itself! So what is society founded upon, probably the quality of its laws. So while culture seems to exist both within and across society these days, it seems clear that in the past the norm for a society was to have emerged within cultural boundaries - yet the most successful civilizations were the inclusive ones which allowed mixing of cultures..... depending how one defines 'success' :S But in nature the same things happen, survival itself, and in the same way in human abstraction it is ideas which will either survive or die. Ideas become practices, and practices become absorbed into cultures, and cultures become mixed with other cultures. What is important perhaps in survival is both the continued details but capacity for existence/demonstration/practice according to that detail. If something is private, then it should be kept private and no concern would be noted for inaccurate appropriation because its unrelated and you wouldn't benefit from it anyway since its private. If something is public, then I think it becomes or should be more in line with intellectual property law, but it will then be in the details. It will not stop interpretations and variations - how can it? But I do not know law, and how it applies to 'culture'!? I do know that cultures have been mixing for as long as anyone can figure, and in a globalized society the frontier of culture is not so much demographic anymore. Once something is expressed within a culture the only thing's restricting its replication is the desire for it to do so, and the legal system is meant to provide protections to avoid theft of things which can be clearly defined as possessions. So I think it's a legal question, and any consideration needs to be done in the broader context of the impact of any changes in the law to all other activity. So yea, it also has to be practical, but in the short term its probably good to remember that someone might be copying someone who copied someone who copied someone who copied someone who belongs to the culture you think has been appropriated... and that is a normal part of human cultures itself!? I think we need to be more realistic about deliberate theft or abuse to authenticity and not generalities. To me what needs to be protected is not so much the contemporary representations existence but the claim to historical authenticity - and that this be the main thing protected by law and most especially used by those originating cultures to stand out above the pretenders. No-one else should be able to claim historical authenticity other then the proven direct descendants.... perhaps even with a requirement for uninterrupted practice (under the provision they had the capacity to do so, and the desire). While its fun to define oneself by certain things it becomes another thing entirely when you claim ownership and limit the capacity of someone else to do the same, but that is what laws are for... what defines our society, how we define ourselves and how we relate with our fellow human being - hopefully in the least discriminatory way possible.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Atticus)
    • I am grateful for this feeling that I'm entering a new phase, not so much about learning entirely new things as deepening and solidifying and drawing connections in the areas I have already skirted.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Goken)
    • It really bugs me when within an hour of each other I have to deal with a customer who is mad that we're making it too difficult to access her money from out side of the US (we're a small bank mind you) and get an email detailing the increase in fraudulent activity today, some of which is coming from foreign countries! Seriously folks, I do not want to make your life difficult, it makes my life difficult too, but there are lots of bad people out there that we have to protect ourselves and you from. THEY are making things difficult. I would love to live in a world where you can call me and tell me that you moved to a middle eastern country but left all of your money here and I could not only believe you but I could send it to you immediately. Sadly though, that is the exact opposite of the world we live in.
    • Who is God to you? (Last post by Zenchi)
    • Are you staying simply out of fear? That's why alot of people still go to church, that perhaps its a sin or something... I left because it didn't feel right, it never did. As soon as I was given the choice, that was that, and I have never regretted that decision... Sounds as if you need to weigh the positives verses the negatives. Do you feel good while at church? Listen to your gut, and do not allow fear to influence your decision. A huge part of being a Jedi is having the courage to make difficult decisions...
    • Think... (Last post by Jack.Troutman)
    • Day 11 Usefulness of Nothing The thirty spokes of a carriage wheel Uniting at the nave Are made useful by the hole in the center Where nothing exists. Vessels of molded earth Are useful by reason of their hollowness. Doors and windows Are useful by being cut out. A house is useful because of its emptiness. Thus we use what is not To make use of what is. From the Tao Te Ching
    • To vote, or not to vote... (Last post by Wescli Wardest)
    • Voting is important whether people believe it or not. It’s how we make change. Drudgingly slow, painful, often backwards, but still change. And with each change it is important to learn from it and vote to improve on what we have learned so that we can hopefully build a brighter tomorrow. Even when your two choices are between two equally repugnant steaming piles of refuse. I’m just going to try and pick the one that I feel will destroy the country the least. And maybe, just maybe, we might survive this next presidency to rebuild the rampant carnage of their term in office which ever one wins. :P LOL :silly: :woohoo: :laugh: .... :whistle: ... :blink: ... :pinch: ... :sick:
    • World Trade Center Steel (Last post by Jaxz)
    • Quote: It is for that reason that I refused to go to the Holocaust museum in D.C. when I visited. That's one of those things that even thinking about it starts to affect me like that so being around something like that I don't think I could handle. It's moments like that that I really feel like I can "feel the Force" as it were. I just wish it was easier to create something that could channel positive emotions with that same intensity. Interesting that you mention the Holocaust Museum. When. I was in my senior year of High School, our Senior Class trip was to go to D.C. While there, we went to the Holocaust Museum. I don't remember all of it, but what I do remember is turning down a hallway. I was dimly lit by ambient blue lighting and the shadows were heavy and deep. There was a railing on either side so that no one could walk besides you. As you walked down the hallway, the only thing besides you were piles and piles of shoes. Just shoes. All different styles, in colors from brown to black to red. Most were adult size, but some were small, others tiny. You couldn't ignore these memories. They were everywhere and the space almost called for you to take your time and walk slowly. You could feel something there. It was a silent call, a pull, a tug. Something begging to be remembered, not forgotten and tossed away like so many piles of shoes. The Force can fill our lives with peace, joy, love, and harmony if we recognize it and let it in. However, it will also root us in our past, as the Force knows no time. It wants us to remember, to feel, and to know. In that hallway, the Force was heavy with the presence of the victims of the worst humanity, and perhaps existence, has to offer. But it was not a negative energy. It did not push you down. Certainly, there was a great grief and sadness. That was natural for anyone. But greater than that was the pull from the Force. It called to remember. It called that there was hope. It called and said "You are greater than this. Remember that." From our darkest hours, we can have hope, and light a fire. There is no Death, there is the Force.
    • Questions for Christians of the site (Last post by Goken)
    • Just some background. When I was born my father was in a Baptist bible college to become a minister or whatever Baptists call them. My lack of knowledge as to what they're called should tell you how long that lasted. I am not super familiar with any specifics of the Bible and it doesn't interest me all that much so I haven't actually read it. I no longer really consider myself a Christian really. On to the question. As to questions 2 and 3 regarding harm coming to children and God letting bad things happen in the world. I don't remember where I read this but a character in a book said something that I think makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not saying that I agree with it 100%, but I get where it's coming from and agree about as much as I feel I can no longer being a Christian. Thinking on an individual scale it does seem that letting anyone come to harm is not something that a benevolent god worth worshiping completely would do. However, any super-powerful deity doesn't look at us as individuals. It's got a whole species of us to deal with (plus, you know, the rest of the Universe) so it looks at things from a compete species standpoint. In that perspective (one that exists outside of space and time) things that are absolutely horrible to individuals is a scraped knee to the species as a whole Think of God like a parent and the human race as one child (as opposed to 9 billion children). If God protected us from every bad thing that happened we'd never learn. Instead, God lets us fall down, scrape our knee, and pick ourselves back up. I can see where this explanation sucks on a "So God doesn't care about us as individuals?" stand point, but it's the best explanation I've heard so far.
    • Can a force senstive person train themselves (Last post by RyuJin)
    • a person can train them self to do anything, however this usually involves loads of trial and error...having the benefit of someone else's guidance saves on time but also can rob us of the experience gained by failing if the guide doesn't allow us to make mistakes and fail...
    • Interesting volunteering orientated questions (ope... (Last post by Vusuki)
    • Hi there everyone, Last night I had the pleasure of attending my first evening of volunteer training course. Part of what made it so enjoyable was the questions and discussions between the volunteers springing from those questions about vulnerability and helping people. And so I wanted to share the questions with you here (and some of the answers we came up with) :) I'll put the answers in spoilers so that if you'd like you can give the questions a shot yourselves (and I'd reccomend doing so because that'll be more enriching for you). Please share your answers here as well for other people to see, :) Questions 1) What makes someone vulnerable? 2) What is the opposite of vulnerability? 3) What makes someone the opposite of vulnerable? This following spoiler contains the answer we agreed on in case you'd like some assistance? Spoiler: Resilient? (If you've another idea or word let us know in your answer. 4) How do we help/support people / What's our role? Answers, Spoiler: These are simply the key words that we came up with but fairly wide ranging 1) What makes some vulnerable? Spoiler: Lack of knowledge Lack of family or friends Bad life choices Bad judgement Bad fortune Loss of partner or situation Negative Spiral Disability addiction Out of comfort wone (too far outside of) Loneliness Abuse/Events/Environnement Own behaviour Lack of purpose, status, self-worth Of these, I'd like to highlight the three words that sum this all up for me: Loss, Lack, and Attitude 2) What's the opposite of vulnerability? Spoiler: Resilience 3) What makes someone the opposite of vulnerable? Spoiler: Or resilient? Spoiler: Confidence Self-worth Bouncing Back Experience Perspective Strategies Pattern-changing Survival Thinking differently Thriving Learning Inner Strength Resolution Opportunities Multiple ressources Solution focus (as opposed to problem focus) Role+Status Acceptance Probelm-solving skills Being flexible / vulnerable People / Relationships Making mistakes Life + Pain Action Owning it 4) How do we help/support people / What's our role? Spoiler: We did this as a table of what to do and what not to do, so... YES NO Create Relationship /Trust Counselling (we're not professional or here truly for that) Fresh pair of eyes/ears Bringing your own issues Safe space Pity/ Sympathy Encouraging Advice Assessment AND not negative judgement Signposting Pyschotherapy Open-mindfulness Accepting Focusing on Positive Past/Future Bonundaries Meeting them as an equal So there you go! I hope you enjoyed thinking about that, and I look forward to reading what you write! :D Have a nice day folks
    • Gratitude for the Kindness of Others (Last post by Lykeios)
    • I'm probably not as grateful as I should be. I try to be grateful as much as possible, but sometimes I just don't think about all the kind things people do for me every day. I don't think intention matters so much. I feel that if an act benefits someone else it is kind. An example would be my ex doing nice things for me. I say she is being kind and she insists she is just being practical and logical. She doesn't do things for me out of kindness alone. Nevertheless I feel the things she does for me are kind and thank her for them.
    • Group Assignment - The School Of Life (Last post by Atticus)
    • I'm interested in examining the seeming barriers between science and religion, so the idea that astrophysics can work toward the same purposes as religion appealed to me. Contemplation of the infinite nature of the universe provides us with perspective. The piddly stuff doesn't seem to matter so much when you consider the sheer unfathomable expanse of the cosmos. That incomprehensible scale also lends itself to contemplation of just what a miracle is any life at all, much less the numerous and varied lives with which we coexist. "[T]he galaxies are, miraculously, the conduits to helping us develop into slightly wiser, more conscious, more mindful and generous humans on our painfully isolated, fragile blue dot."

There are 190 visitors, 6 guests and 22 members online (3  in chat): Akkarin, bassbt3475, Firewolf, ren, Adder, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Boesen, Lykeios, Rickie, kjbaron, Llama Su, Avalonslight, tzb, Zenchi, Loudzoo, Figment, Atticus, Cayce, MartaLina, Kyrin Wyldstar, Jaxz, Parnerium, piezv60, William, Hazhard espinoza.

Follow Us