Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 04:17 #29012

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Sweet Baby Jesus!

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 05:43 #29016

OK Tatsujin - firstly - I NEVER once said wiki was authoritative - never have and never will, im fully aware of its open source operation - as are most if not all our readers (or at least the adult readers) - I said its accurate.

There are hundreds of possible sources for this information, including the main scouting group website.

Im English born n bred - so if it makes you feel cosy inside - lets put it this way - Im giving the english historical version of the founding of the scouting movement - which funnily enough happens to be the nationality of Powell.

Another point - I dont see any 'grey area' in terms of the history - we're talking late 19th/early 20th century here - not several hundred years ago.

Neither did I once say the scouts and military are the same - you dont seriously think im that ignorant do you? This temple has DOZENS of active service personal, from all the forces from many nationalities - and as many if not more ex-servicemen/women. TOTJO also has regular interaction with the military for various reasons - and whilst I personally have not served - every generation of my family up to the current HAS served King/Queen and country - and has so dating back some 800+ years - im well aware of how the military functions thank you.

As a side note - linked to above point about language - I went somewhat out of my way to 'defend' you or at least put it to everyone else that perhaps youd been misunderstood - im starting to think 'why did I bother'

Have you had enough of the masters in this thread because you dont like being challenged over your statements?

To be blunt - a number of your posts have been quite abrasive - generally I put this down to language differences and the limitations of text conversations - I tend to cut everyone slack (when they are new or reasonably new) just in case its 'new comers defensive syndrome' or something - yet in an earlier post, you said

Tatsujin wrote:
If anything would make me want to leave, it's being put in a position to explain myself any time I affirm what the order is doing because someone is used to being assailed by people who don't get it.

yet your doing exactly this to others time n again.

Youve also said your seen as opinionated/snobby etc - have you wondered why this is? Perhaps lines such as this

Tatsujin wrote:
The third thought that crosses my mind is that I'm an intellectual who can post with clarity and defend myself well. This comes off to most people as being overly opinionated and snobby, so I can gather that when combining the three thoughts would result in people not reading what I'm writing and assuming their way through.

will explain this.

Your not the only one to have run many sites, your not the only one with any level of intellect but from the little I have experienced of you thus far is mainly your guilty of everything your pointing at others for. Most of the longer standing members here treat 'attacks' like water off a duck back- everyone has a different perspective of everything, one persons 'fact' maybe another's fantasy - history is written by the victors as they say.

I certainly am not going to disagree with your final line.

So back on topic - I think in terms of ranks etc - those who are 'rank haters' maybe have not quite thought about what the rank means. Just because one does not appreciate why another has a rank or title should not mean that they have no respect to the individual. Of course, respect is a mutual thing, but if your in a place (physically or otherwise) where ranks are used - it is only good manners to use the appropriate titles etc. You would expect a 'guest' in your home to treat you with respect and abide by your rules - so its simple course to do the same - be it in a home, public building, website or other place.

From what ive seen elsewhere - the main cause of problems in this regard is lack of understanding of what the title or rank means - with the knowledge of what they mean and what the function of the title and or individual - one can often avoid looking foolish or worse - ignorant.

Yes, respect is two way traffic - but someone has to 'go first' - so by showing the appropriate respect - youll be off to a good start in a given situation. As said, there will always be the little hitlers - but they are easy to identify, just keep calm and polite but dont fuel their rage or ego - if necessary, walk away - it takes at least two to fight ;)

As a final note - I have one irritation in terms of ranks and titles - its folks who (as an example) INSIST on being called 'Major' or whatever - when the last time they were in active service was in WW2. OK, they earned the rank in the military at the time, but military and civilian life is very different - most civies wont understand the ranks anyway and its especially maddening to see/hear elderly 'Majors' (again an example) get cross with say a 20 year old for not using the title. Whats the point? they will have only legitimatly had the title for a couple or so years anyway and once out of service - is the 'rank' theirs toi use anyway?

Would a serving soldier now, follow an 'order' from a guy who was a major 60years ago? I very much doubt it - so why do such folk think others should treat them differently. If you really want the name used - get your name changed by law (deed poll in the UK)

This really does only serve to feed the ego of the title holder - and at the end of the day - its only a word, a badge - it has no actual value and like money - you cant take it with you.

Everyone is equal in death and within the force ;)

MTFBWY - A
"If you don't like or agree with the way we do things here, you know where the door is"

" What we do in life - echoes an eternity!"

Pastor Emeritus - Apprentice To Br John

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Feb 2010 23:48 #29039

Wow Tatsujin you really carried this a long way since I was last on.

Maybe we should withdraw from this subject or change the subject?

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 00:11 #29040

• stevef
been on and off for a while, and I just noticed a clever post saying lets be respectful and call people by rank or title.
Wow, for a simple point this thread got really complicated... scouts and the UK and the military!

here's my rule of thumb and it seems to make sense:
if They are a master Call them Master X. I use the username in shout and the forums. If they are an apprentice call them Apprentice X or I think Padawan is acceptable to most. or Brother or Sister.
Knights Sir Madam or Brother Sister
If you and them are the same rank Brother or Sister is fine.
If you don't know and are too lazy to find out Brother or Sister.
Ya we can use the full title or multiple titles but it's less about who's what than being respectful of all of us. let me say that again, it's about respecting your fellow jedi.

if you look at the films, all the jedi were called by a title even by Palpatine, who hated them and wanted to destroy all jedi. If he can bite the bullet so can we.

but maybe I'm too simple to be in this conversation.

MTFBWY

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 23:15 #29054

• Jaden
  • ID: 1092
I been reading the whole thread and I would like to bring my small contribution in, saying what I think about ranks.

First of all I never see the rank, I see the person behind it and use the rank to get an idea about the amount of knowledge and work that person had until now. For instance I am an apprentice and it describes exactly what I am: a person that has more to learn in order to be able to teach others. As Kana Seiko Haruki said in one of the posts, a master is a normal human being which never looses the desire to learn and improve oneself for the good of others and make this world a better place.

We could put it this way: you call the one that gave you birth \"mother\". This is a rank. Before she gave birth she was a woman, she didn't knew how it feels and what it means to be a mother unless she had a child. This goes the same with our ranks: when you join in you know few things or maybe nothing about jediism. Later on as you learn your perception about life and other matters change, the ranks are there to remind of who you were and where you reached.

I personally see ranks as a tool to help new members and make the bound between members stronger. For instance when I will be called Master I wouldn't feel any different from what I feel now (it will just make me remember always about my duties and responsibilities I have towards the Temple and it's members)but I certainly know that a new member will come to me and ask for help because he/she would know that I am among those who know about TOTJO.

And yeah it's a matter of respect also. It's your choice if you want to use the ranks or not but I wonder if you would call your boss by his/her name, if you would call your school teacher by name and so on. As long as you see it JUST as a matter of respect you shouldn't feel offended yourself when others tell you to follow this simple rule and use the ranks.

Hope I managed to explain these things well as english is not my native language. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 26 Feb 2010 23:22 #29062

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Yes you did Jaden very well indeed.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 27 Feb 2010 22:48 #29068

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
The comparrison to 'mother'... awesome..

VERY well done Jaden....
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Graduated Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Edan, Knight Brenna, Senior Knight Firewolf
Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Llama Su, Trisskar

Life is just a party, and parties weren't made to last..." ~1999 by Prince~

"Questions and answers, sometimes there are no answers and sometimes the answer is yet more questions." ~Elizabeth~

"I don't have any answers, only more questions..." ~me~
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • Threatened to steal my boss' sweatshirt after he loaned it to me. It smelled like his cologne, which made me giddy. Someone somewhere is watching the TV show of my life and saying "well look at that, it took her 39 1/2 years, but Snowy finally learned to flirt without it having to mean something else too".
    • Very new to the Order and am wondering (Last post by Aqua)
    • Some people know that I am Jedi, but many do not. The idea of not being accepted is difficult, but not accepting yourself is more difficult. For that reason I like to carry a TOTJO symbol with me wherever I go. It creates room for people to ask me about it. When people do ask, I take the time to talk about it if I feel comfortable. ----- Quote: "keep to the shadows" about our chosen religion. My question is: is this part of our doctrine? Mm.. the doctrine says two important things about it sharing. To be yourself without shame, and to be consistent in being a Jedi. With other words.. Be yourself and live according to the doctrine, both at all times. The doctrine is not a solid law, when looking to share things open.. saying that you do not want to talk about it because you do not like to talk about it, is a form of being honest. Being honest is not being an open book! Being open while you do not want to, is on the other side not being yourself. ;) That is what I believe is important when reading the Doctrine, in a search for ''keep to the shadows''... Believe your own truth. The force shines with you, ~ Aqua :blush: Maxim of Integrity: To be consistent. A Jedi lives as a Jedi at all times. Hypocrisy is their worst enemy. Teaching 9. Jedi have integrity. We are authentic to what we believe and are open, honest and true to our purpose and our minds. We remove all masks to reveal ourselves as courageous and noble of heart. We do not hide from fear of damage to our image because we know that our image cannot be blemished from the words and actions of others.
    • Virginia request (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • I am being taken willingly to the beach for my birthday. I will be in Virginia area any one there? out of curiosity
    • Is offending a group of people always bad? (Last post by Wescli Wardest)
    • Quote: Quote: I may not be able to save an animal from here, or stop the ones selling them to those that would torcher them; but, I can at least write a letter to an official expressing concern and pressing to have something done about it. That may not be much, but I figure it is better than turning a blind eye or pretending that because it is a part of another culture it’s okay. So, its less about doing good, than it is about making yourself feel good? I'm not really sure how you came to that from what was written... but okay. :P It is about doing what I can even though I am not in a position to directly affect change. Do I feel good about it? Not really. And being able to do more wouldn't make me feel any better either. The fact of the matter is that it has happened, it is happening and will go on till it is changed or stopped. No part of this makes me "feel good." It would seem that you are attempting to belittle efforts made to incite change... if so, does attempting to belittle the efforts of others make you feel good? :P
    • Is belief in democracy required of a Jedi? (RELEVE... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy "You presumed that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that the claim itself must be wrong. It is entirely possible to make a claim that is false yet argue with logical coherency for that claim, just as is possible to make a claim that is true and justify it with various fallacies and poor arguments."
    • Why silence is often the best response to a verbal... (Last post by Miss_Leah)
    • I think that the author of the article makes said it best when she said "Silence is always in your toolbox" It's not the ONLY tool, but one of many. If used for the appropriate task, it gives the best result. The challenge is not only in using silence, but using it in the correct context. I've had a very similar situation with a family member. She went on a rant, attacking me for a perceived slight to her daughter. In a single breath, she told me I was malicious, a bitch, socially inept, mean, cruel, pretentious, etc....) I responded with silence. When she finally blurted "I know you read my message, do you honestly have nothing to say for yourself?" I said "No, particularly not to someone who attacks my character" She sent one final message, but couldn't continue because I didn't engage her. I'm still trying to figure out how to resolve her anger with me. But until I do, silence is the way to not make it worse, or to cause her anger to spread to other family members (because they're prone to taking sides). On the other hand, I have another family member who perceives silence as resent/anger. So if there's bad feelings, the best way to deal with it is to talk it out with her. Silence is powerful. And with great power comes great responsibility ;)
    • Islamic State, America, Russia and China. Let the ... (Last post by Adder)
    • Superficially, I think the problem in Russia and China is that too much 'stage-owned enterprise' has been shown historically to be unprofitable, stagnation of innovation, and leads to huge unproductive debt over time. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-owned_enterprise While lots of things create debt, something has to be the engine of the economy. Ideally I think innovation and development represent the most useful direction of growth, so activity which promotes those things seems to fit into capitalism best at the moment.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • Jour 87 Si seulement par la Volonté On pouvait faire appel à la Grâce, Quelle magique pourrait-on commander ! Mais, par cette commande Commettre une conjuration dans l'empire du Sens, Transposant vraie amour en haine Et vrai bien en mal... * If only by Will Could one call upon Grace, What magic one could command ! But, by that command Commit a conspiracy in the Empire of Sense, Transposing true love into hatred And true goodness into evil... Alexandre Orion 23 mai 2016
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • There is not a single argument you can make that will ever convince me that people owning guns is a good thing. We are not weapons and I am sick of reading about people shooting their own family, accidentally or otherwise... qz.com/688447/my-boyfriend-insisted-a-gu...shot-me-in-the-face/

There are 159 visitors, 7 guests and 22 members online (7  in chat): Jestor, Luthien, Kit, Avalonslight, Jamie Stick, Goken, Aqua, Adi, Korvus, Tellahane, Obedient Jedi, MadHatter, MartaLina, Gwinn, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, FAT, Ryder, Codama, Amaterasu, whitelotus, Hakkoa, Miss_Leah, CableSteele, Tascha, Safine Doltra, LiamRevan, Albekl.

Follow Us