Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 10:09 #28224

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
An Official-in-waiting who had just rented a house in Hufangqiao Road in the capital was informed, “A fox lives in this house. You will not be disturbed if you offer a sacrifice before you move in.” Being a tightfisted man, he refused, but nothing unusual happened when he moved in. Shortly afterward he married a concubine. Received into his house on the wedding day, she was sitting alone in the room when she heard dozens of whispering voices outside the window commenting on her looks. Bashfully she kept her head lowered. When they went to bed that night after blowing out the candle, the whole room was suddenly filled with giggles. The moment he made a move, it was described in a loud voice. Several nights passed like this. Unable to bear it any longer, he went to a Taoist priest asking him to exorcise the fox. After hearing him out the priest said, “Only when a demon has harmed people can I invoke the heavenly gods to seize it and punish it. If the demon has merely been playing a prank without causing much harm, there is no need for divine intervention. Likewise, the government does not take any action against someone for playing a prank without causing real trouble. How can you bother the gods with such a trivial matter?” At the end of his rope, the official-in-waiting offered a sacrifice and libation to the fox. That very night his room became quiet. He said with a deep sigh, “Now I understand the importance of social etiquette!”

Now I know this is not going to go down well with a number of people here, but I am going to take that risk any way out of the simple fact that we are TEMPLE OF THE JEDI TEMPLE and not called for example PALS INCORPORATED. All of us are here to broadern our horizons; some wish even to learn the Jedi way, be knighted and even hope to guide others as Masters. So just as we take people`s desire to learn seriously so should those who have worked hard to carry the title of Master be addressed as such whether in shout, forum or PM (unless expressed otherwise by the addresse). For a long time this has been in use, was possible and still is the case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28
Last Edit: 24 Jan 2010 10:11 by Jon.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 11:11 #28226

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
There is almost nothing that makes a person seems crass and undignified as a lack of simple manners. I finished college in my forties and new some of my teachers as friends and customers. Even though we were on a fist name bases and some were younger than I - in class I always addressed them as professor or with the proper title.

Being from the South I'm steeped in the virtues of Southern Hospitality and for good measure my Mothers family are all from Sibley. There are just things that a genteel person does not do or does do as the case may be.

And what Master Jon is telling you sir, young lad, lady ,little miss is that this is for YOU not for him.

If you want to be respected as a Jedi much less as a decent human being a little magic goes a long way.

Anyway you don't want the thrill of one day perhaps being invited to be on a first name basis - do you?
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, PatrickB

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 11:27 #28227

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
Rather interesting and pointed post Master Jon. Like Br. John I too was raised with the \"SouthernL hospitality and from time to time get corrected by my mum and grandparents when I speak of their friends without the honorific Mr. Or Mrs. I understand that but also understand it is becoming a trait that is lost on the younger generations. Which is unfortunate. These people who are older or have earned their rank should be addressed as such, unless otherwise directed by that person.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 13:41 #28229

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
Tiamat wrote:
Rather interesting and pointed post Master Jon. Like Br. John I too was raised with the \"SouthernL hospitality and from time to time get corrected by my mum and grandparents when I speak of their friends without the honorific Mr. Or Mrs. I understand that but also understand it is becoming a trait that is lost on the younger generations. Which is unfortunate. These people who are older or have earned their rank should be addressed as such, unless otherwise directed by that person.

i was raised in the backwoods south where most people didn't like mr. or mrs. when in their presence i would address them in the manner they requested. i used mr. or mrs. when dealing with my teachers, in college i call my professors by professor unless they say otherwise but use mr. or mrs. when talking about them to someone else. growing up no one around me ever thought it to be disprespectful to call someone outside the family by first name as it made them part of the family. it was simply a matter of judgement on whether mr. or mrs. was needed in a particular situation...in the end it's a matter of personal preference from the individual that determines how they're addressed. :)
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.

sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light

In truth, everyone wears a mask. when speaking to others, a false persona can charm, seduce, or frighten. -darth sidious, book of sith-

"did you ever see a lion stretch before taking down a gazelle?" -tallahassee, zombieland-

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Degree Administrator,Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current Apprentices: Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Baru
Semper Fortis
Vis Vobiscum

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:11 #28232

• RedHeron
The rule only tends to hold true for those who:
  1. ...have something to lose (rank, title, etc.).
  2. ...should know better because it's been explained to them.
  3. ...have an example to follow.
I thank you, Grand Master Jon, my Master, for keeping this open for posting. Though I am neither making a demand nor trying to \"run the show\" or anything like that, these were what I was taught and the seem (to me) be reasonable.

However, the above rules suggest that the responsibility lies in those who are ranked addressing one another by rank, even equals. But there is a danger that I see, as well. It is the attachment to the title and rank, and its associated power and authority. While I will do as you ask, could you respond to this aspect, so that I might understand it better?

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:30 #28233

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
I have noticed that you have proposed this issue of attachment to titles very often RedHeron, which from my point of view indicates that you have some kind of issue with or experiences involving titles. I am not aware of any personal attachment to titles or fears of loosing it, so unfortunately I am unable to respond to that. What I am really afraid of loosing is my job and not being able to feed my daughter or provide a good education. I can however tell you about the amount of commitment, time and money invested in TOTJO which involves being a Master, the less obvious side which doesn`t seem to be the cause of much thought or scandal. As I already said this is Temple of the Jedi Order, a Jedi spirituality, a Jedi system of philosophy, which (as FAQ) clearly explains includes yes titles but also their DUTIES. Everyone of us is a guest here in a house if you like, this is a priveledge and not a right. Or which house do you walk into and dictate the way things are to be run because you don`t like it? It is all about respect, understanding why we are here, giving as much as we can for the benefit of others and keeping your feet firmly grounded on the floor of reality.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:37 #28234

• Tiamat
  • Master
Apprentice Redheron, if I may a moment. Most of us Masters, Knights relgate the notations of rank with one another for in past issues it has confused new members and has often been the cause of disrespect.

I can tell you from my POV, I request new members to address me by my title until I and they have come to know one another. Not out of basis for rank or title but out of basis for respect. After a time the rank becomes a nonissue with those that have known each other. For instance when I speak with your Master, I call him by his name and the same with Br. John for we have built a repoire of friendship. This is not meant to create attachments to titles or rank, but with an Order this size, a line of \"succession or order\" is necessary.

Many here holding rank do not tend to naturally hold their titles for it is just that a title. It is the actions and words of those members who define them and not their rank.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:58 #28235

• RedHeron
The issue with attachment to titles is indeed an experience of my own. I have both seen and (regrettably) committed abuses because of such attachment in the past (and luckily, was able to somewhat remedy the damage when I realized it). But I also tend to follow the examples I am given (point #3 on the list I wrote). I have explained my understanding and beliefs; it was not my intent to make a demand, but to understand the demand which has been made, and to avoid my own issues with regard to titles and ranks. It was not intended as an affront, or to disrespect the obvious level of commitment you have.

My question is still unanswered, Master Jon, and so I'm going to try to rephrase it:

How are we to proceed without attachment to a title, if titles of rank are the primary means of address?

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 15:14 #28236

• Tiamat
  • Master
I have taken no disresect from this post, but find that clarity of the knowledge or answer you seek to be a good thing. If one is to understand one just needs to ask, but bear in mind it may not always be the answer you sought.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 15:59 #28241

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
The attachment to titles question is reasonable and there's an answer.

Attachment to titles by masters there may be in some but it's about helping students develop new good habits or reminding them of old ones. A Jedi has a certain dignity that includes being a pleasant person.

It's a small token to ask and even smaller to pay folks who are helping you get something at no cost or demand.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by CableSteele)
    • Halfway through a full SW marathon, something is different. (I can't believe I'm saying this) I am thankful for Jar Jar Binks. It's been a while since I watched the prequels because of my disdain for Jar Jar. Whenever I think I want to have a marathon, I usually just watch the OT because I don't want to have to sit through Jar Jar's antics. If I do start at Episode I, I usually skip through the scenes that are just Jar Jar. I think I have really changed, spiritually, since I last watched some of Jar Jar's scenes. I no longer see him as simply a bumbling oaf with an annoying voice. It hit me that Queen Amidala must have had a good reason for leaving him as her representative in the senate. What did she see in him that I was missing by holding this judgement about him? With this question in mind, I watch him interact with the other players. He uses funny words and uses the words I recognize in hilarious ways, but looking past that, I see a dignified nobleman with nothing but goodwill in his heart. He definitely has too much fear which is not an asset, but his willingness to "hang in there" makes him a valuable member of the team. Thank you, George Lucas, for introducing me to the character that brings us up to the next level in our tolerance of others. I mean, if I can learn to love Jar Jar Binks, I can learn to love anyone.
    • Why Christianity? (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Quote: That is a false statement, Alethea. Do you have any idea how many people don't actively participate in the choosing of their religion? That alone makes your already-biased question less useful. So you believe that free will is not a thing? Everything we do is a choice. If you choose to live in a religion because you are forced to do so, then you still choose to do so. You choose based on a fear for how your life will be without that religion in your life. Yes, they do choose to stay in whatever religion they are part of. They can choose to not live in that religion. So for them, it is in their best interests to refrain from living in another religion. Thus- it is the best option for them.
    • American Dream (Last post by CableSteele)
    • I remember when this first came out. It really messed up my perception of how money works. However, it sure is a quick and easy way to really understand what a scam the banking system really is. Most of the information presented is accurate except that the Rothschild quote is probably not true. Although, I'm sure it's the kind of thing he would have said. The stuff about Jackson is also questionable, but has become a lot more interesting to me in light of the recent decision to replace Jackson with Harriet Tubman on the twenty dollar bill. The radical exaggeration of personalities makes this video ridiculous, but it makes the content more entertaining. Thank you for posting this a67. I don't know what advice you are looking for, but I'm happy to help.
    • Is belief in democracy required of a Jedi? (RELEVE... (Last post by Phortis Nespin)
    • In simple terms...No. It is not the type of governance that is critical, but the application Liberties, Justice, Laws, and the Compassion of the rulers that matter most. A Jedi lives where they live. They must work with the system they are bound to and apply their understanding and knowledge to that governing system. In my belief, any system can work if it is applied in its purest form. Because we are human, it is never pure and is twisted by negative ego and greed. This is why most people want a democratic system in which they get a voice in their future. In my opinion, I would always want to be in a democratic system because it is the voice of the whole that usually brings the best results.
    • Helper Syndrome (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • Pastor, that's lovely may I use this idea? There are some who feel like " thin... stretched, like butter scrapped across to much bread..." as Tolkien put it and many of us quote. It is up to us each individually some days as to the who what why when and how. Some have a greater balance while some still have a need for. Experience and trial and error often make a grand teacher. Some are teachers some are students some will teach most will learn. Be cautious friend where you place your balance and effort, from one who has and am currently now, you can make your Jedi ism in any direction you choose....you choose.! That's the best part I think!
    • Jedi Parenting (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • I plan on teaching my son the 7 Army Values plus Objectivity. Loyalty Duty Respect Selfless Service Honor Integrity Personal Courage I want him exposed to different belief systems so that he can find his own answer though. Forcing him to be my religion (Christian) or walking the same path I do (Jedi) is not the right way to instill sincerity of belief in the things he does. To me, you can only live by a system if you have sincerity of it in your heart. And unless you reach that understanding on your own, it's merely something you do and you hope you gain the sincerity later.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Miss_Leah)
    • When the fire alarm goes off, GET THE FRAK OUT OF THE BUILDING!!! A fire alarm doesn't mean gaze out your window at all the people outside and fire trucks pulling up. Nor does it mean chilling on your balcony enjoying the view. Yes, it's annoying when you have to haul arse outside when you're getting ready for bed, then wait outside until the "All Clear" is called. But you know what's more annoying? BURNING. Evacuating a building when a fire alarm goes off shouldn't be optional. Common sense, people.
    • A cashless society and chip Implants (Last post by Yabuturtle)
    • I never understood why they always refer to the Bible when it comes to end times. It's really more than just "bible prophecy" The Bible is not the first or the only ones to predict end times after all. Besides this is an extremely dangerous idea. You already have governments that are beyond corrupt and they are trying to push it. Nevermind the fact that with electronics or even the money we use isn't even sound money anyway because it's not backed by anything valuable. Really the money we use is no more valuable than monoploy money and it only has value because the government says so. Even though they all keep their own hoards of gold and silver. Having chips will be eventually forced and they will try to coerce them into doing it. First off with all this tracking technology we have, they have talked about installing that onto chips. That they would know exactly where you are with the chip. So you end having Big Brother watch you all the time. Not to mention they are going to take the money out of that chip if they say you owe so much money to them, they can just take it out without you even noticing it. Plus if you even though of protesting, what makes you think they don't have certain codes in order to disable your chip, meaning you couldn't buy food or rent a hotel or do anything. And how do we know there isn't something on those chips that will be used to harm you. As in using electricity to stop your heart or damage your organs if they think you are a threat or you even think of opposing the status quo. I can promise you that chip implants will be extremely dangerous, especially with all the things the US or England or most government have done in the past. You are giving them away too much power if you allow that to happen. Then there really will be a "Galactic Empire" on Earth if it's not stopped.
    • Question of the Day (Last post by MadHatter)
    • Would you rather be extremely successful professional life and a tolerable private life. Or an extremely happy private life and a mediocre professional career? Why? Please post in your own journal
    • Aqua`s Art Gallery (Last post by Aqua)
    • A double poem in memory of the very first Dutch Jedi Meeting of TOTJO :) The Jedi water slide trough Noviomagus: In land far away, beyond the sea level lies a city, known as Noviomagus it is a place of unknown beauty where steep streets do not know flatness where people smell, the water nearby where people will hunt you forever to give you, your lost phone to take your, last little coins to sign for justice This is my birthplace, my old lost root look to buildings, look to people notice the similarities and the unknown symbols remember the kindness and the unique feeling a first meeting, a remembered memory shiny day birds are singing loud people are screaming, events are coming water sliding people, trough the streets never to be forgotten Aqua, 28-05-2016
    • Robes and Sabers (Last post by Sven One)
    • I think its something were known for really a symbol. But I have two view points. My before and after my IP studies. Before: I was but a learner (still am lol) but, I wore my jedi robe and my saber hilt on my belt everywhere literally everywhere.i believe it defined me as a jedi. I often got questions and random fandom being called "Master Jedi" to some I was crazy for believing what I did. To others I was cool and respectable for living my faith with my robes and saber even to the other religious communities. After: Once I started my studies I sorta drew away from just my beliefs of what I saw and believed in just the movie footage and basing it off that to believing that I am a Jedi within myself the robes and saber didnt define me as a Jedi or a follower of Jediism or make me more of a member of this temple. Now albeit, I still have them and I still dress up and go out once in awhile. Still get looks and high fives but I am a REAL JEDI I live it everyday. But from the IP studies and my own private studies over the last few years its become more of asking myself...why are you a jedi? Why do you believe what you believe? What defines you as a Jedi? Further thoughts Make no mistake I have no disagreements on those who wear robes and carry sabers no one Iota. I still do and I feel amazing and happy when I do. Its not to gain attention but rather that it makes me feel like a jedi. On times when I cannot I wear a hoodie sweatshirt.
    • Youtube battle over fair use, copyright, and commu... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • this is a pretty interesting bit of legal drama and community building being played out in youtube right now it will be faster to read the article in the spoiler, it will be way cooler to watch the videos and actually see the people themselves explain whats going on article from: time.com/4349864/ethan-klein-h3h3product...ection-account-fupa/ Spoiler: One of their own was in trouble. Now YouTube creators are fighting back When Ethan Klein found out he was being sued by a fellow YouTube creator over a video he had produced for his channel, he never thought his personal legal battle would spark a backlash that raised tens of thousands of dollars and could change the way users of the video site fight lawsuits. But three days after the lawsuit was made public by Klein on May 24, YouTube creators and their fans have collected more than $130,000 to help the embattled video star and his wife (and co-star) Hila fight back against a copyright claim by another YouTube user, Matt Hosseinzadeh. And with all that money, Klein, the 30-year-old founder of h3h3productions, now has his sights set on bigger things: protecting other YouTube creators who need a legal defense but lack his own stature. As Klein tells it, the entire affair began when Hosseinzadeh sued him, alleging that a Klein video mocking Hosseinzadeh improperly used Hosseinzadeh’s content. In a video revealing the lawsuit, Klein vigorously defended himself, saying the footage he used was covered under fair use law. Klein told TIME the claim was a betrayal to users in the YouTube community, who are constantly being threatened over their work by “bullies,” usually from large corporations. Attempts to reach Hosseinzadeh through his YouTube account and on a phone number listed under his name were not successful. YouTube did not immediately return a request for comment. “For us, it’s just making a stand against it and letting people know that they can’t do that,” Klein said. As it turned out, there were many more people ready to take a stand as well. More than 5,718 people have donated $137,000 and counting to an online fundraiser another YouTube creator started to aid the Kleins in their legal battle. “They didn’t give us money because they like us,” Klein said. “They did it because they want to protect that principle—to show them that we can’t be bullied.” The enormous response provoked the Kleins to look beyond their own case. In a video Wednesday, the couple announced the money would be put in a newly created Fair Use Protection Account, or FUPA, “that will be used only for the purpose of protecting fair use and representing people big or small who are in legitimate need of protection.” The account will be placed in the trust of the law firm Morrison/Lee, and users in trouble can contact FUPA for help. “Anyone who is being bullied, big or small, basically at ours and our lawyers’ discretion, can tap into these resources to fight back,” Klein said. “We don’t want to touch a single cent of this. We want to use it as an umbrella to protect the Internet community.” He describes the new account as something like a “YouTubers’ union” in Wednesday’s video. “This is like a new chapter for fair use on YouTube,” Klein says. The Kleins have a fan base of more than two million subscribers between their two channels, and in three years have published more than 300 comedy videos, which they say bring in revenue along with almost $6,000 a month in crowd-funded donations. But the lawsuit, should they lose, could have ripple effects in the video-sharing community. “For one, it would make so many people really vulnerable,” Klein said. “The whole ecosystem on YouTube would become really unstable. It would be really scary.” YouTube user Philip DeFranco, who launched the crowd funding page, said he stepped in to prevent a “terrible precedent” from being set that he fears could silence other creators. “This is something that hits close to home,” DeFranco said. “It’s horrible for all of us. This isn’t just a channel for them to post videos. This is their livelihood.” The couple blamed the affair on what they called YouTube’s broken copyright system, saying the site’s need to legally protect itself puts its users at risk. “YouTube’s stance is to be neutral. In that neutrality, it’s always the creators who get hurt,” Klein said, adding that his channels have been “penalized” by YouTube over Hosseinzadeh’s copyright claim. “We’re going to go to court to protect 50% of its users, and it’s treating us like criminals,” he said. Klein said nearly two dozen of the biggest donations have come from fellow YouTube users, including some of whom he has insulted in past videos. He and his supporters hope FUPA will be a deterrent to future opponents. “If you go after one of us, you go after all of us,” DeFranco said. “We’re in it together.”

There are 266 visitors, 2 guests and 28 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Alethea Thompson, Adhara, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Lykeios, Kit, Avalonslight, Aqua, FTPC, Atticus509, Tellahane, Hyrum Tigerprice, MadHatter, MartaLina, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, Rex, FAT, SecondVariation, Codama, Volk, CableSteele, Joda Sett, Rich bushy.

Follow Us