Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah, Edan

Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 10:09 #28224

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
An Official-in-waiting who had just rented a house in Hufangqiao Road in the capital was informed, “A fox lives in this house. You will not be disturbed if you offer a sacrifice before you move in.” Being a tightfisted man, he refused, but nothing unusual happened when he moved in. Shortly afterward he married a concubine. Received into his house on the wedding day, she was sitting alone in the room when she heard dozens of whispering voices outside the window commenting on her looks. Bashfully she kept her head lowered. When they went to bed that night after blowing out the candle, the whole room was suddenly filled with giggles. The moment he made a move, it was described in a loud voice. Several nights passed like this. Unable to bear it any longer, he went to a Taoist priest asking him to exorcise the fox. After hearing him out the priest said, “Only when a demon has harmed people can I invoke the heavenly gods to seize it and punish it. If the demon has merely been playing a prank without causing much harm, there is no need for divine intervention. Likewise, the government does not take any action against someone for playing a prank without causing real trouble. How can you bother the gods with such a trivial matter?” At the end of his rope, the official-in-waiting offered a sacrifice and libation to the fox. That very night his room became quiet. He said with a deep sigh, “Now I understand the importance of social etiquette!”

Now I know this is not going to go down well with a number of people here, but I am going to take that risk any way out of the simple fact that we are TEMPLE OF THE JEDI TEMPLE and not called for example PALS INCORPORATED. All of us are here to broadern our horizons; some wish even to learn the Jedi way, be knighted and even hope to guide others as Masters. So just as we take people`s desire to learn seriously so should those who have worked hard to carry the title of Master be addressed as such whether in shout, forum or PM (unless expressed otherwise by the addresse). For a long time this has been in use, was possible and still is the case.
Jediism - "Without religion, we'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Stephen Weinburg
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28
Last Edit: 24 Jan 2010 10:11 by Jon.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 11:11 #28226

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
There is almost nothing that makes a person seems crass and undignified as a lack of simple manners. I finished college in my forties and new some of my teachers as friends and customers. Even though we were on a fist name bases and some were younger than I - in class I always addressed them as professor or with the proper title.

Being from the South I'm steeped in the virtues of Southern Hospitality and for good measure my Mothers family are all from Sibley. There are just things that a genteel person does not do or does do as the case may be.

And what Master Jon is telling you sir, young lad, lady ,little miss is that this is for YOU not for him.

If you want to be respected as a Jedi much less as a decent human being a little magic goes a long way.

Anyway you don't want the thrill of one day perhaps being invited to be on a first name basis - do you?
Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, PatrickB

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 11:27 #28227

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
Rather interesting and pointed post Master Jon. Like Br. John I too was raised with the \"SouthernL hospitality and from time to time get corrected by my mum and grandparents when I speak of their friends without the honorific Mr. Or Mrs. I understand that but also understand it is becoming a trait that is lost on the younger generations. Which is unfortunate. These people who are older or have earned their rank should be addressed as such, unless otherwise directed by that person.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 13:41 #28229

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
Tiamat wrote:
Rather interesting and pointed post Master Jon. Like Br. John I too was raised with the \"SouthernL hospitality and from time to time get corrected by my mum and grandparents when I speak of their friends without the honorific Mr. Or Mrs. I understand that but also understand it is becoming a trait that is lost on the younger generations. Which is unfortunate. These people who are older or have earned their rank should be addressed as such, unless otherwise directed by that person.

i was raised in the backwoods south where most people didn't like mr. or mrs. when in their presence i would address them in the manner they requested. i used mr. or mrs. when dealing with my teachers, in college i call my professors by professor unless they say otherwise but use mr. or mrs. when talking about them to someone else. growing up no one around me ever thought it to be disprespectful to call someone outside the family by first name as it made them part of the family. it was simply a matter of judgement on whether mr. or mrs. was needed in a particular situation...in the end it's a matter of personal preference from the individual that determines how they're addressed. :)
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.

sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light

In truth, everyone wears a mask. when speaking to others, a false persona can charm, seduce, or frighten. -darth sidious, book of sith-

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Degree Administrator,Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current Apprentices: Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Baru

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:11 #28232

The rule only tends to hold true for those who:
  1. ...have something to lose (rank, title, etc.).
  2. ...should know better because it's been explained to them.
  3. ...have an example to follow.
I thank you, Grand Master Jon, my Master, for keeping this open for posting. Though I am neither making a demand nor trying to \"run the show\" or anything like that, these were what I was taught and the seem (to me) be reasonable.

However, the above rules suggest that the responsibility lies in those who are ranked addressing one another by rank, even equals. But there is a danger that I see, as well. It is the attachment to the title and rank, and its associated power and authority. While I will do as you ask, could you respond to this aspect, so that I might understand it better?

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:30 #28233

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
I have noticed that you have proposed this issue of attachment to titles very often RedHeron, which from my point of view indicates that you have some kind of issue with or experiences involving titles. I am not aware of any personal attachment to titles or fears of loosing it, so unfortunately I am unable to respond to that. What I am really afraid of loosing is my job and not being able to feed my daughter or provide a good education. I can however tell you about the amount of commitment, time and money invested in TOTJO which involves being a Master, the less obvious side which doesn`t seem to be the cause of much thought or scandal. As I already said this is Temple of the Jedi Order, a Jedi spirituality, a Jedi system of philosophy, which (as FAQ) clearly explains includes yes titles but also their DUTIES. Everyone of us is a guest here in a house if you like, this is a priveledge and not a right. Or which house do you walk into and dictate the way things are to be run because you don`t like it? It is all about respect, understanding why we are here, giving as much as we can for the benefit of others and keeping your feet firmly grounded on the floor of reality.
Jediism - "Without religion, we'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Stephen Weinburg

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:37 #28234

• Tiamat
  • Master
Apprentice Redheron, if I may a moment. Most of us Masters, Knights relgate the notations of rank with one another for in past issues it has confused new members and has often been the cause of disrespect.

I can tell you from my POV, I request new members to address me by my title until I and they have come to know one another. Not out of basis for rank or title but out of basis for respect. After a time the rank becomes a nonissue with those that have known each other. For instance when I speak with your Master, I call him by his name and the same with Br. John for we have built a repoire of friendship. This is not meant to create attachments to titles or rank, but with an Order this size, a line of \"succession or order\" is necessary.

Many here holding rank do not tend to naturally hold their titles for it is just that a title. It is the actions and words of those members who define them and not their rank.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:58 #28235

The issue with attachment to titles is indeed an experience of my own. I have both seen and (regrettably) committed abuses because of such attachment in the past (and luckily, was able to somewhat remedy the damage when I realized it). But I also tend to follow the examples I am given (point #3 on the list I wrote). I have explained my understanding and beliefs; it was not my intent to make a demand, but to understand the demand which has been made, and to avoid my own issues with regard to titles and ranks. It was not intended as an affront, or to disrespect the obvious level of commitment you have.

My question is still unanswered, Master Jon, and so I'm going to try to rephrase it:

How are we to proceed without attachment to a title, if titles of rank are the primary means of address?

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 15:14 #28236

• Tiamat
  • Master
I have taken no disresect from this post, but find that clarity of the knowledge or answer you seek to be a good thing. If one is to understand one just needs to ask, but bear in mind it may not always be the answer you sought.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 15:59 #28241

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
The attachment to titles question is reasonable and there's an answer.

Attachment to titles by masters there may be in some but it's about helping students develop new good habits or reminding them of old ones. A Jedi has a certain dignity that includes being a pleasant person.

It's a small token to ask and even smaller to pay folks who are helping you get something at no cost or demand.

Founder of The Order
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Knight hosted IP Discussion in Chat - Friday 5th F... (Last post by Edan)
    • Please find below a transcription of the discussion. I have edited it to remove any superfluous comments and chat bot interruptions so that the questions and answers are clear to read. I have also attempted to identify the different discussions so that one does not need to read everything to find something an answer they are looking for. Posting IP responses, masters and knighthood Spoiler: (20:51:39) ergone: lol. so question after I finish the initiates program how do I get assigned a teaching master for lack of better words (20:52:27) Edan: Either a knight would approach you ergone.. or you could always approach one of them (20:52:47) Kale-Patronus: i have a question (20:52:47) ergone: but I have to complete the ip first (20:52:56) Edan: Yes you do (20:53:03) ergone: like listen to each lesson and write in the journals about it? (20:53:11) Edan: That's right (20:53:28) Gisteron: the lessons tell you what's expected. its not always listening (20:53:35) Gisteron: some ask to research and comment (20:53:44) ergone: im just making sure I understand what I have to do so I can get it done and move up lol (20:53:44) Gisteron: but yea, very school-esque stuff (20:53:52) Edan: G's right... they will give you instructions, but you can always ask if you get stuck (20:53:56) ergone: ok. so whats the best ideaa (20:54:05) ergone: what am I supposed to do witht he journal entries (20:54:20) Proteus: reflect what you think about the material (20:54:24) Kale-Patronus: when i do my Knighthood. like when my master knights me. how would that cerimony go with me being in Missouri...... would they come here..... or do it online? how would i apprintice? same way? i just dont know (20:54:26) Proteus: what you understand and how you feel about it (20:54:34) Proteus: maybe what it makes you think about concerning yoruself and your life (20:54:35) ergone: ok so reflect on each leasson. sounds good (20:54:36) Edan: It would be done online Kale (20:54:44) Edan: We have had only two knightings in person (I think) (20:54:49) ergone: i can do that. ") (20:54:50) Gisteron: all in due time, kale. ;) (20:54:51) ergone: :) (20:54:53) Proteus: helps to create a bit of a profile about who you are, for knights to get an idea of you (20:55:02) ergone: ahhhh (20:55:09) ergone: lol ok. (20:55:36) Gisteron: most who join leave before even finishing much of the IP, let alone reaching knighthood :D (20:55:42) Kale-Patronus: that makes me sad.. (20:55:57) ergone: this will be a little difficult. im deployed so i cant always listen to the material, and when i get off work i usually go right to sleep but im gonna squeeze in about an hour, or each section of a lesson (20:56:10) ergone: y do they leave (20:56:30) Gisteron: probably disillusioned. expected something different. idk. (20:56:32) Edan: There's no time limit ergone, just do it when you can (20:56:39) Proteus: take your time. let it come as it can naturally upon opportunity and inspiration (20:56:39) ergone: oh ok cool (20:56:42) ergone: :) (20:56:49) Senan: The IP is actual work and some aren't ready to put in the time. (20:57:04) Senan: There is no rush though (20:57:07) steamboat28: Senan, I might personally argue the former section of that point. (20:57:11) steamboat28: Though it is time-consuming. (20:57:13) carlos.martinez3: there are many reasons (20:57:13) ergone: oh i can do work. lol (20:57:16) Edan: When I joined I let my big ego get in the way... had to come back a few months later and try again.. (20:57:18) Gisteron: there's not even much of a quality standard at that, ergone. if what you end up with is cut into yet more bits, made all the less cohesive for it, and they see that you have put thought into it anyway, that's good enough for most :D (20:57:28) Senan: It took me over two years to get it done around work and family (20:57:51) ergone: cool (20:57:59) Gisteron: it took me under two weeks, Senan. :P (20:58:07) ergone: cause i have a hard time putting my thoughts on paper or in words sometimes (20:58:07) carlos.martinez3: I did my ip while waiting tables and managins two resturaunts lol (21:01:20) ergone: lol now can u have in person teachers or is that all online as well (21:01:23) J_Roz: Hello (21:01:29) Chuy: Hello Roz (21:01:39) Aqua: Hello mr J :) (21:01:47) Avalonslight: Yay Dec!!! (21:01:51) Edan: If you could find a knight near you willing to take you on then it could be in person, but it is likely to be online (21:02:08) steamboat28: @Edan, I believe I remember once the statement that even if you do it in person, the work must be turned in online. (21:02:21) Edan: Yes it must be... it must be evidenced (21:02:28) Kale-Patronus: Ergone i think its online. but when i become a knight imma find someone in my own state. that way its in oerson. (21:02:30) Edan: Even if it was turned in all at the end having been done in person Public situations with a Jedi, Membership and other Jedi organisations Spoiler: (21:07:35) Kale-Patronus: i was reading some jedi stuff online. and there was thisarticle about a guy getting kicked out mcdonalds for refusing to tyake off his hood....is that real? whats with the hood?? (21:08:27) Edan: He is a member of the Jedi Church (I think, knights correct me?). I think his reasoning was that it's 'part of his religion'.. but I'm not sure for what reason exactly (21:08:47) Edan: We don't have any rules over clothing here so I doubt anyone from TOTJO would have that issue (21:08:48) Connor_L.: Church of Jediism (21:08:54) Connor_L.: Different group (21:08:56) Edan: That's it.. I was close (21:10:03) Kale-Patronus: :help: why is aginst his religion though. what does the hood signify? (21:10:08) steamboat28: The individual in question was a member of a UK-based Jedi group unaffiliated with TOTJO in any manner. He was utilizing an excuse (as I've not seen the hood mentioned anywhere in their standard doctrine prior to the event in question) to get around security measures that requested he remove headwear for identification and security purposes. (21:10:31) Edan: Yes... that's it. Someone from the same group did it in my town at a Jobcentre too.. (21:10:45) Edan: Kale, I am not sure what it signified I'm afraid (21:10:55) Edan: What's your question ergone? (21:11:27) ergone: ok so there is a church and the temple here. we r the same right or is there a difference? and we both believe in the samething correct? (21:11:49) ergone: once ur a member of the temple ur a member of the church correct (21:12:27) Edan: The Temple of the Jedi ORder is a church, so membership to the Order is effectively membership of the church (21:12:41) Gisteron: no. there is not "a church". there are a couple of places that call themselves churches of jediism, and totjo happens to be registered as one in the state of Texas. (21:12:55) Edan: Not a church as in a physical building (21:13:04) Lykeios: different organizations unless I'm mistaken (21:13:10) Edan: The Church of Jediism is a bit different to us though... I do not think we believe exactly the same (21:13:16) Edan: And we are not the same organisation (21:13:49) Gisteron: :important: as for what they believe, that's an individual matter. some do have a doctrine, some don't, and among those that do, not always do all members share all that is included. (21:14:05) steamboat28: The Temple of the Jedi Order (TOTJO, where you are now) is a unique entity, separate from all other Jedi and Jediist organizations. The Church of Jediism and many other organizations, take their names and teachings from the same source, but we all evolved separately and differently. (21:14:07) Edan: Gisteron is right... there are some differences between what individual members believe (21:15:36) Edan: To add, membership of TOTJO's site isn't membership of the Temple itself, that requires the membership application (21:15:58) ergone: ok. this is one of the big churches and there a several little or separate ones. kind of like catholics have different beloiefs in there own religion. but if u r part of the temple everyone else recognizes ura jedi correct (21:16:22) ergone: and how do u send in an application to the temple itself (21:16:41) Edan: For the application, on the main site go to 'My TOTJO' then 'Jedi Application' (21:17:19) Edan: And we are one of the more active (and probably bigger) groups. But if you said you were a member of TOTJO at another site they would generally understand what you believe (though there are belief differences between groups) Mindwalk/The Field, lesson options and bonus lessons Spoiler: (21:17:51) Senan: In Lesson 4 of the IP, we can choose to read Mindwalk or The Field? One over the other? Should we be doing both? (21:18:19) Edan: Neither is preferred, it's your choice (21:18:52) carlos.martinez3: if you learn from one lesson imagine how much you will with both... (21:19:13) Edan: You can do both... but it's not required (21:19:44) steamboat28: I would highly suggest doing all the optional lessons, and both lessons anytime you're presented with a choice. they really round out the program. (21:19:55) steamboat28: Even if you don't do it right now, come back and do them after you finish the IP. (21:20:08) Edan: Yes... the bonuses are good but few do them usually (21:20:46) Aqua: I wanted to comment on Steam, every lesson can be written out depending on what you want to write? The lesson options are only a suggestion? (21:21:29) Edan: The options within a lesson both comment on the same topic, but it's up to you which you do (or if you do both) (21:21:49) Edan: The bonuses are added material that aren't compulsory, but may aid your understanding (21:21:53) Aqua: I mean, if one want to add a option, is that possible? (21:22:06) Aqua: a not mentioned option, to say.. :S (21:22:24) Edan: You write anything extra you want, but the minimum is one of the options given (21:22:38) Edan: *You can (21:22:55) steamboat28: Aqua, you can look through my IP journal if you want. I added a lot of things that weren't in the lesson. No one will argue if you want to do more work, as long as you do what's listed at the minimum. (21:23:04) Edan: Agreed (21:23:17) Edan: Anything extra you do helps knights to see what kind of thing you're interested in as well (21:23:56) Vusuki: And even if you don't do the minimum i think everyone has a good chance of being listened to and interacting with the entire temple. (21:24:17) Edan: Agreed Meditation Spoiler: (21:28:18) Senan: okay I'll go... Lesson 3 - Meditation - is this meant to learn ABOUT meditation or actually encourage us to start practicing it? (21:29:29) Edan: I would say it's an introduction to meditation.. most people probably have never done meditation so it's a way of introducing it without saying something unhelpful like 'go and meditate'. If you get something from it that means you want to go further and do more then great, but at the very least it's to give you an understanding of what it is (21:29:58) steamboat28: I'm sure it's hoped that by learning about meditation, you might discover that it's something you could be interested in. So probably both. (21:30:22) Edan: Yes... and there are many different types of meditation so if you're inspired to go away and do more then great (21:31:05) Alan: There are certain mechanics in learning how to meditate. Then when you have a general idea of those one can then go and try it. (21:31:46) Edan: Guided meditations I think are much easier as well for those who have never tried it before.. gives a good idea of the kind of mind you're getting into when you do meditation (21:32:20) Senan: It just seems kind of daunting to learn about on your own just from reading or listening. It did encourage me to look into it more though. (21:32:52) Edan: If you find that the meditations in the lesson don't suit you then you can always ask in the forum for other suggestions. I think there is even a thread about the types of meditation members do (21:33:02) Gisteron: it's like with pretty much everything else. they do expect you to comment on it, show that you thought a bit about it, but it really makes hardly any difference whether you actually practice what you preach, at least for your progression here it doesn't. (21:33:39) Edan: Not for the IP it doesn't... but it may do in future depending on who your training master turns out to be. Various apprentices have meditation journals. (21:34:17) carlos.martinez3: as I completed my ip I learned new ideas and new view, I thank the ip and the ideas given so in a way the idea may be partly yes learn what is out there text book style but also nothing keeps you from trying as well, (21:34:42) Edan: Definitely (21:35:21) Connor_L.: I am an advocate of trying to find a meditation instructor in your area. Somebody to look at your posture, answer questions, and who can give you instructions and guidance... even if it is once in a blue moon. That will enrich the practice. If you can Skype with your training master (who has had experience and knows how to teach meditation), then that also works. But, sometimes, just finding somebody who is near your physical location is super beneficial. I do understand that isn't an option a lot of the time. (21:36:10) J_Roz: For those of us that use smart phones there is an app called Insight Timer and we do have a TOTJO section. I have found it extremely helpful in using for meditation. There are various ways to use the app and highly recommend joining us on there as well. (21:36:13) Edan: If you're struggling with meditation then definitely... I go to a group run by my Quaker group.. but there are often groups in churches, halls, libraries etc (21:37:08) Senan: Thank you all for the advice (21:37:19) Connor_L.: Edan, I would posit that sometimes we don't even know when we're struggling in meditation. (21:37:35) Connor_L.: Similar to how not everybody knows their weight lifting form for squats is crappy. ;) (21:37:43) Edan: Haha true (21:38:22) Edan: Groups can be good, but also if you go to a group and it doesn't work for you then that doesn't mean all groups don't work. I went to one as a teenager that felt like a brainwashing session but the one I go to now is great (21:39:18) Gisteron: :important: *sigh* unpopular opinion coming up, feel free to ignore... (21:39:32) Chuy: Just to add to the places you can go for meditation. Sometimes Buddahist temples have meditation groups. (21:39:49) Edan: Yes, thank you (21:39:57) Edan: Ok, Gisteron, then we'll have Aqua's question (21:40:00) Aqua: :help: Question to words of Alan, are there meditation methods that are more suited for a certain kind of practice area? How does one knows that the chosen meditation lesson is useful enough? What meditation mechanics are more useful when learning a method? How to build up to a more controlled state of Meditation? Are meditation methods dependent on emotional state? 8o (21:43:35) Gisteron: so meditation is of course more of an art than a science in the first place. it has some benefits and i can imagine a lesson where the master tells the apprentice to set aside like half an hour before work or before sleep or so to meditate for a week and then report on how they felt that improved their day. however, i think that a lesson is as far as it can go. (21:44:37) Gisteron: but i think no master should require "regular meditation" of you or even inquire into how you spend your leisure time outside of apprenticeship lessons. that's just creepy and should be no requirement for knighthood. (21:44:55) Vusuki: If meditation is simply being present- can we not meditate during the entire day paying attention to what's happening both around and inside us? (21:44:55) Edan: That kind of thing would be discussed between the knight and apprentice G (21:45:30) Vusuki: I mean to say that it isn't something that we HAVE to sit down for (21:45:59) Edan: No definitely... you can meditation while walking, while doing the washing up, etc. by being constantly aware of that moment (21:46:05) Edan: *you can meditate (21:46:06) Vusuki: Rather it's something we can do whenever and whatever we're doing (21:46:29) Edan: Yes.. you don't have to be sitting or lying down or listening to gongs or have music etc (21:46:41) Aqua: In zen there is a walking meditation, small example ;) (21:46:48) Alan: Sometimes when I'm ceremonialist, I employ a guided meditation at the start to establish "group mind". I've been part of drumming groups that are synchronized rhythm for another form of group meditation. Chanting is also a good group exercise. Think of attaining a trance state as another form/aspect of meditation. (21:46:50) Edan: Exactly :) (21:47:21) Edan: Yes.. kundalini meditation often has chanting as well (I think) (21:48:10) Aqua: :important: ( small link of that i mentioned ) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinhin (21:48:29) Edan: Thank you Aqua (21:49:12) Alan: Eventually, the meditative state of mind becomes the attitude that infuses all your action (22:07:12) Aqua: (22:40:00) Aqua: :help: Question to words of Alan, are there meditation methods that are more suited for a certain kind of practice area? How does one knows that the chosen meditation lesson is useful enough? What meditation mechanics are more useful when learning a method? How to build up to a more controlled state of Meditation? Are meditation methods dependent on emotional state? 8o (22:09:35) Edan: Did you want to try and answer Aqua's question Alan (22:10:04) Alan: My favorite meditation style is to listen to the various sounds (musical pitches) of the moving water of a forest stream. (22:10:04) Aqua: Mm.. I shall put my questions in a topic, if that would be more suited.. :? (22:11:15) Edan: It's up to you Aqua, you are perfectly welcome to start a discussion thread on meditation if you'd like others' thoughts (I'm afraid I am not wonderful at meditation to give all the answers you may be looking for) (22:11:20) Alan: Meditation 'works' if, when you finish, your mind is 'at ease'. Didactics Spoiler: (21:49:13) Vusuki: Oops. What do people understand by didactics? (21:49:35) Vusuki: Cause I've just written something about that and it's not completely easy getting my head around it (21:49:47) Vusuki: It's part of the I.P lesson 7 (21:50:20) Edan: Hang on let me look at what the lesson says Vusuki (21:50:52) Karn: Didactics seems to be a more scientific or analytical approach to teaching as opposed to the more open philosophical approach to learning. (21:51:48) Vusuki: Karn- I thought didactics was more an individual approach to the learner (21:51:57) Vusuki: *for the learner (21:52:21) Alexandre_Orion: Pedagogy : the study of teaching (21:52:59) Alexandre_Orion: Didactic : the method of learning (21:53:18) Alexandre_Orion: there is a didactic to pedagogy (21:53:37) Alexandre_Orion: a good pedagogy favours a good didactic (21:54:42) Alexandre_Orion: but then the learner also has one's own approach to what is being learnt, which is part of the didactic (21:54:43) Edan: I just had a look at what I wrote for didactics... I wrote about what I thought made a good teacher. (21:55:58) Alan: Pedagogy is to strategy as didactics is to tactics. (21:56:28) Vusuki: Explain the difference sorry between strategy to tactics (21:58:04) Edan: Chuy (21:58:52) Alan: Pedagogy is the study of the method of teaching. Didactics is the study of the method of learning. My pedagogy includes a variety of learning styles. (22:00:12) Chuy: The strategist says "lets keep the enemy from getting to our city by blocking them in these canyons." Tactics is setting up a shield wall so that a larger force cannot get past you. Using the example of the 300 Spartans. (22:00:45) Chuy: Idea vs. specific action essentially (22:00:51) Edan: Thank you Chuy Order of lessons Spoiler: (22:02:10) steamboat28: We've gone a little out of my depth in regards to the IP. Is there a chance we could inquire why the lessons are set in the order they are, to get back on topic? (22:04:15) Connor_L.: Since the order is largely customizable to the student (we do not require lessons to be done in order), I'm not positive the intent is for them to be done in any particular order. (22:04:26) Connor_L.: If they were designed to go in an order, we would suggest that. (22:04:33) Edan: I am not sure the answer to that question, but I would say personally that the beginning lessons are the basic foundation to give one the tools to look for more understanding, so that by the time they get to the doctrine they have developed some of the type of thinking required to discuss the doctrine (22:04:35) Connor_L.: But, that is only my limited knowledge. (22:04:39) Edan: But one can do it in any order (22:05:13) Edan: Some people are further ahead than others and may prefer covering 'old ground' first (22:07:34) Alan: Though they can be studied in any order, the final submitted order is according to the numbering. The consistency of the submitted order helps Knights read the Journals. Also, the numbering also assists in discussions by identifying them by their number.
    • Dealing with laziness (Last post by Figment)
    • Good advice and yes...patience. I try to remember that my anger or frustration with them will not change the situation. That does help. What if the people don't care at all what you do or say though? The laziness I am talking about is seen more as a privilege than a problem.
    • "...we are all responsible not only for ourse... (Last post by Edan)
    • This came out of the IP discussion held in chat today. As it is was not directly related to the IP I post the discussion here for others' thoughts. I have removed any conversation not directly related to Vusuki's question and colour coded respondents so that it is easier to read. (22:12:47) Vusuki: Who else had trouble facing the idea (of Krishnamurti) that we are all responsible not only for ourselves but the entire society of which we are a part of? (22:13:09) Vusuki: I haven't finished the book- freedom from the known but I found that deeply unsettling (22:14:00) Gisteron: i have no trouble facing that idea, vusuki, i just find it preposterous, personally. but seeing how he asserts it on no grounds, i need no grounds to dismiss it either. (22:14:30) Edan: I haven't read that book... we are responsible for what we do within society.. though I am not sure we are all responsible for what society is.. if that makes sense.. (22:15:11) Connor_L.: We are responsible for our contribution. (22:15:25) Edan: Exactly...must better put (22:15:27) Connor_L.: So, how we react, and what we do in response to society directly shapes it. (22:17:17) Alan: I like this idea better in Jean-Paul Sartre's essay, "Existentialism is Humanism". When you choose you choose for every person. Because if you value it enough to choose it then it is a value you would want for everyone. (22:18:15) Vusuki: Is that also the idea of the precepts of the Categorical Imperative? (22:18:37) Vusuki: Act in such a way that your maxim could be a universal law? (22:19:21) Vusuki: (and never treat a person as a means to an end but always as an end and means in itself) (22:19:37) Vusuki: (and act in accordance with a law you give yourself) (22:19:49) Alan: Similar. But for the Categorical Imperative, the reason is not my freedom as in Sartre but because everyone shares the same divinely given human reason. (22:21:20) Gisteron: sounds like an arbitrary distinction to me... i may choose a thing knowing full well it's not a choice everybody would or should make. likewise i can refuse a choice with no rimorse knowing that generally speaking it would've been a better way to go. (22:23:06) Gisteron: likewise, i wouldn't want the maxim to evaluate maxims by the categorical imperative to be a universal law, therefore following that imperative i would have to reject that imperative making the construct, at least superficially, self-defeating.
    • Edan`s question round: Unanswered questions of Aqu... (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Are there meditation methods that are more suited for a certain kind of practice area? What do you mean by practice area? How does one knows that the chosen meditation lesson is useful enough? You should consult a meditation teacher. Never go off what you hear on an internet forum. Find people who are skilled and experienced in teaching meditation, and they can guide you. If this is impossible, then observe yourself. Is anything changing within you? What is your goal? Are you moving toward it? What meditation mechanics are more useful when learning a method? What do you mean by "mechanics" and "method"? How to build up to a more controlled state of Meditation? Very easily. Just keep doing it. Every day. Longer and more of it. Sit multiple times a day if possible. The longer you are in meditation, the more you will incorporate it. You will see the benefits even with just a moment of meditation, though. With time and practice, the benefits increase exponentially. Are meditation methods dependent on emotional state? Some may be. But, mine, no. In fact, I am encouraged to sit with my emotions in meditation. Observe but do not engage them. We bring with us whatever we experience to the cushion!
    • In Praise of Selectivity: Syncretic Jediism (Last post by Alan)
    • Adder, as always, a thoughtful and interesting post. I agree, the vajra (stylized thunderbolt) is a secondary symbol and is rich in meaning. For me the vajra is a symbol of the Eightfold Path. “The upper sets of spokes of a five spoked vajra symbolize the five wisdoms, which are: 1. The mirror-like wisdom that which reflects all sense perceptions is purified when one attains enlightenment and becomes the mirror-like wisdom. 2. The wisdom of equality that arises after all the feelings of pleasantness, unpleasantness and indifference have been purified. 3. The wisdom of individual analysis that arises when the factor of discrimination, which distinguishes one object from another is purified. It enables one to benefit each sentient being according to his or her needs and disposition. 4. The wisdom of accomplishing activity that arises when the basic ability to perform acts according to particular circumstances is purified. 5. The wisdom of the sphere of reality that arises when consciousness is purified and becomes the mind that is the seed of the wisdom truth body of a Buddha.” Source: buddhanet.net (edited by Alan) These five traditional interpretations of the vajra as secondary symbol provide the means to determine one primary symbol in Buddhism: purity. The source of the need for purity is related to other Buddhist symbols, for example, the lotus flower that emerges from the dark and muddy bottom of the lake to rise to the surface as a beautiful white flower. Unlike the monotheisms mentioned above, in Buddhism there is no fall from perfection or exile from paradise as the result of primordial disobedience of the original human couple, but rather, impurity is the result of desire, which is a related primary symbol. Wisdom and purity, desire and illusion are interrelated primary symbols. And these can be distilled further in the concept of anatman (no self) as well as related Buddhist cosmological symbols. Splitting hairs: the primary symbol of balance you mentioned seems to me more appropriate to Daoism than Buddhism, but I don’t know that for sure. The Force is (as a symbol found in the narrative mythology of Lucas fictional universe) presented dramatically as a kind of magnetic (gravitational, molecular, etc.) power that the initiate or adept can access. Its secondary symbolism is that the force is a kind of substance, a real thing, an actual power that exists and permeates the universe and is found infused throughout all things. As a primary symbol it represents the interrelatedness/interconnectedness of everything in the cosmos. The primary symbol of the oneness of reality is symbolized as a kind of accessible and manipulatable power. Knowing what it is is wisdom. Only the wise can wield it beneficently and this returns us full circle to mythic Jedi who embody the ethical lessons of knowing and using the Force.
    • TOTJO Heritage (Last post by Aqua)
    • Thank you, Edan. Please take your time you need, I do not want to give you stress for writing response to my questions. :blush:
    • Discussion Groups in Chat? (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: It is... but that is for specifically IP related material. Ah. I see the difference now. I think it would be a lot of fun to have a big group discussion in chat about a specific topic. I'd join, so long as some where held when I wasn't at work. (like I am right now. ;) :whistle: )
    • Making of a Jedi Warrior (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • it says "taekwondo" but these are a fast and effective exercises to make your side kick better regardless of what system it is
    • Pacifism. (Last post by Rickie)
    • I've always feel calm in a storm when I am prepared for it. :)
    • Double MTHFR Mutation (Last post by Zabeth)
    • My apologies ... Indeed your post said that your condition affects your ability to metabolize, but you didn't specify in what way. I made an assumption.
    • Light and Dark (Last post by Rickie)
    • Are my feet evil and my head good? Is the front of me light and the back of me dark. It's just all me! :woohoo: :silly: :lol: :laugh:
    • Hope in the battle for our climate (Last post by Rickie)
    • In my youth it was water, air, soil pollution. Recycling, energy conservation and using up all our natural resources. Glaciers had been melting since the start of the industrial revolution. There was a cooler period in the 70s where the glaciers stopped retreating for a few years but the die hard continued to beat the drum of global warming and they were right. Since then tremendous improvements. I remain optimistic though change is slow. China's pollution does concern me, but they will clean up eventually.

There are 145 visitors, 12 guests and 40 members online (3  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Sulabri, Jestor, Manu, J_Roz, Kitsu Tails, Dechlain, Connor L., Adder, Proteus, Hadi Apollos, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Avalonslight, Senan, Vagabond, Aqua, Wnnelson, Loudzoo, Figment, Atticus509, Tellahane, Ke JinnDakken, Jack.Troutman, MartaLina, Reserved Sanity, Serondrych, Dakonaton, Eowyn, Cofelsy, Amandabonn, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, ShannonMCD, Cenrus Kuno, SashaMirror, Nuria Alcalde, Belisarius, Riyuma, Szilard, jhannuzs, Hinakshu, Archedyne, Ct, Dragobermann.

Follow Us