Lightsaber

More
18 Oct 2019 12:56 #344586 by Zero Storm
Replied by Zero Storm on topic Lightsaber
Fyxe.....let’s see if I can’t give you an informed awnser. No a lightsaber is not required to complete the IP. That being said..... a lot of knights would have you build one during apprenticeship. Not for Force powers or to block Force lightning, but for the thought and the “why” that goes into it. If you or anyone intends to Build or buy one, I would suggest this. Put thought into it. Why do you want a blue blade? Why is it wrapped in leather? Why does it have a wood accent? Do you intend to carry this saber daily and if so why? Will you meditate with it. Work out with it? Create a post in your journal about the “whys” and I guarantee the knights will take note.

Jedi find meaning in everything! In the SW universe the blade colors have meanings. Research those and tell us why you chose that color and what it means to you. Different style hilts have meanings. Personally my saber has a purple blade, and I have written about the “why” in my journals. Do the same!

Force be with you.

Apprentice and Seminarian Zero Storm
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Seminary / Meditation / Personal
Teaching Master: Kit

” If you can’t explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.” - Albert Einstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2019 15:03 #344593 by Fyxe
Replied by Fyxe on topic Lightsaber
Well maybe Im just stupid then gisteron. Can you show me where it says light sabers are required or not?

Where ever you go, there you are. Make the best of it.

More
18 Oct 2019 17:00 #344601 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Lightsaber
Eh, don't worry about it, I'm stupid, too. I can just about read (which I hear is a lot these days...) but that's about it. A quick search through the FAQ reveals that the term "saber" is mentioned exactly once and that's where it says that TOTJO does not teach how to build any. There is however an entire section about training where no doubt something would be mentioned if it should be. It includes as well a link to a dedicated page explaining all of the ranks where no mention of lightsaber ownership is made either.

Anything else?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick, Fyxe, Trillcherek

More
18 Oct 2019 17:10 #344602 by Rainbow Firefly
Replied by Rainbow Firefly on topic Lightsaber

Zero Storm wrote: Fyxe.....let’s see if I can’t give you an informed awnser. No a lightsaber is not required to complete the IP. That being said..... a lot of knights would have you build one during apprenticeship. Not for Force powers or to block Force lightning, but for the thought and the “why” that goes into it. If you or anyone intends to Build or buy one, I would suggest this. Put thought into it. Why do you want a blue blade? Why is it wrapped in leather? Why does it have a wood accent? Do you intend to carry this saber daily and if so why? Will you meditate with it. Work out with it? Create a post in your journal about the “whys” and I guarantee the knights will take note.

Jedi find meaning in everything! In the SW universe the blade colors have meanings. Research those and tell us why you chose that color and what it means to you. Different style hilts have meanings. Personally my saber has a purple blade, and I have written about the “why” in my journals. Do the same!

Force be with you.

So, building a lightsaber may be an alternative way of self-analizys, am I right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kelrax Lorcken

More
18 Oct 2019 17:15 - 18 Oct 2019 17:16 #344603 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Lightsaber

Rainbow Firefly wrote: So, building a lightsaber may be an alternative way of self-analizys, am I right?

Correct, below is what I did for an assignment regarding lightsabers in my early on in my apprenticeship. This is pulled straight from my journal minus the graphic because my journal is not visible to someone until they are a full member.

"I am using this graphic as a source for an assignment run through that I am doing for fun. While contemplating what light saber I would actually carry as a sign of my faith in Jediism, I came to the conclusion that I would identify with 2 of the colors on this graphic and in turn plan on constructing a second saber to accompany the one I already own.

My current saber and main, is a white bladed saber, as above listed the saber color of the blade represents Obedience and Service. This implies devotion to a larger cause, I wouldn't however, compare myself to an imperial knight. I look to define a "larger cause" as the spreading of knowledge. This is where my hilt being simple of design and all black. It is this way because it represents my ignorance. It is only in understanding it's simple construction and understanding that it is still part of me can I wield a blade that sheds the light of knowledge. No this is a pre-ordered saber (in fact a mystery box one, it so happened I got to choose blade color and they did fullfil my one request of an all black hilt) and I honestly bought it with this meaning to me. "I will strike with the light but understand that the need to strike comes from the dark (it is designed to kill....). Yet, they remain balanced when wielded properly." That would still be my "warrior" ideology behind it. But, now that I am looking at it from as a practice of defining sense of my religious identity. It becomes a multi faceted symbol. So, it does just happen that I keep the saber I own as my main saber.

This brings me to the idea of my second saber. I after thinking want to construct a shorter saber. Something akin to the wakizashi carried by the Samurai. A wakizashi is a shorter one handed sword worn next to the classic katana. The main difference is length: "While there are always exceptions, most wakizashi featured a blade length of 12 to 24 inches (30 to 60 cm), whereas the katana featured an average blade length of 23 5⁄8– 28 3⁄4 in (60 to 73 cm)." (source:
www.martialartswords.com/blogs/articles/...whats-the-difference ). It, is the companion sword, one to be used in close quarters, advanced defense techniques (such as duel wielding) and normally the sword used to begin the ritual of seppuku. I know factually that when properly attached my main saber's blade length is 27 1/2 inches when properly attached to the handle. Meaning I plan to have or make this second sword at about at 13 inches in blade length.

In considering the blade color, I have chosen a silver blade. "Used by one who remains calm and focused on the living force." (from the graphic above). So as a religious symbol of myself I choose to define this back up sword for my initial blade. Should I loose the ability to spread knowledge or should things get to close to me, I shall remain calm and focus on the living force in those moments. Should I need to rely on more complex skills (dual wielding). It will back up and strengthen my commitment to the cause larger than myself, to further the my service. I do want to actually build this saber. So my idea for the hilt is to make it from metal, probably aluminum (which I will either shape if the school will let me use tools) or have a friend of mine with access to the proper tools to lathe for me. At this point I will grind and shape it as I explain below. I would like to build he hilt in a similar style as a traditional Japanese sword, so at a slight angle that continues the constant curve of the blade. When this is completed to my satisfaction, and coated in a glossed black paint (see warrior meaning above). I want to create some crossing patterns inlaid similar to what is found on the binding of the traditional form and simple design. In these I want to wind a thin layer of copper, this in representation; that I am a conduit of the force, that it flows through me, out of me and into me. Copper being a pretty widely known electrical conductor, I think it fits that meaning well. I will have to look into self fabricating some of the electronics, or buy the components to assemble inside the hilt, including the coloring set up (I have no idea how to produce a silver light). Anyway that said, I do want to fit a very clear quartz crystal between the led and the blade itself. Quartz has Dielectric qualities and can be used as a way of limiting the movement of electrons between conductors. (source: physics.info/dielectrics/ ). In my mind from my limited understanding of this essentially calming electrons before focusing them again upon the connection to the conductor. So, again, enforcing that calmness is that which alters the force. Now, this in mind the science part there are way more dielectric substances and even some other crystals, I don't feel like I want to put a diamond that's a little over budget :) .

All of that said I want to start looking at parts and how to do this in the time between studying, working on my AP and work as this can be a good kind of mental break from those, and a way to play with a little creativity that's not in written form. At some point in the next few days I will start by posting some drawings and concept schematics I will draw up in my sketchbook."

PS. I did just recently get my silver bladed saber to wear on my belt at my wedding :)

Much Love,
Kobos

Fighting what you cannot see, will only lead you to lash out with violence towards everyone. Know your enemy, and you may find yourself a friend.

You can act real rude and totally removed
And I can act like an imbecile- Men without hats

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Last edit: 18 Oct 2019 17:16 by Kobos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelrax Lorcken, Zero Storm, Trillcherek

More
18 Oct 2019 17:29 - 18 Oct 2019 17:32 #344604 by Rainbow Firefly
Wow, really good job! And now I'm trying to figure out why I imagine my lightsaber having pinkish yellow blade (someting like salmon/abricot/pink gold color)
Last edit: 18 Oct 2019 17:32 by Rainbow Firefly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
18 Oct 2019 17:34 #344607 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Lightsaber
Thank you! And that is entirely up to you, I used a graphic that was cannon linked because well I'm not as steeped in the cannon as many are. But, in the end it is your lightsaber and your choice. It is a symbol to connect you to your understanding of Jediism if you so choose, for many it may not be a lightsaber.

Much Love,
Kobos

Fighting what you cannot see, will only lead you to lash out with violence towards everyone. Know your enemy, and you may find yourself a friend.

You can act real rude and totally removed
And I can act like an imbecile- Men without hats

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zero Storm

More
18 Oct 2019 20:12 #344609 by Zero Storm
Replied by Zero Storm on topic Lightsaber
Following kobos lead here.....I’m going to post my meaning in everything lesson from my apprentice journal, sence only apprentices and up have access to it. My bad, thought I was making a good example while not even thinking about who could or could not see it. This talks about my robes as well but I feel the point is still applicable.

Meaning in Everything-

This by far has to be my favorite thing about Jedi. Nothing about the fictional Jedi is on accident. The clothes they wear, lightsaber color and construction, even their fighting style. It all has a purpose and a reason. Being that my path is based on the fictional Jedi, I’ve taken some of these ideas and applied them to myself and will use this lesson to share them.

My Jedi robes- The fictional Jedi and sith mostly wear the traditional robes, so that’s what I chose to design mine around. In the movies traditional robes consist of an inner tunic (undershirt), outer tunic, tabbards ( two thin pieces of matieral that draped over the shoulders), an obi ( 8-10 inch wide material under the belt) , a leather utility belt, pants usualy color corridinated with the tabbards or the outer tunic, knee high leather boots, and an outer floor length robe.

Inner tunic- traditionally the inner tunic is the same color as the outer robe, boots, and belt. Material is where this separates for Jedi and sith. Jedi use silk or somthing soft to be comfortable against the skin, where as sith use wool to be itchy and irritate the skin with the thought being they draw some of there power from pain. I chose a black silky material. I’ll explan my reason at the end of the robes section.

The Outer tunic is similar to a karate gi. Mostly long sleeved and over sized for ease of movement. And made out of a thicker material than the under tunic for durability.

The tabbards can either be made out of the same material as the outer tunic or leather. I’ve struggled finding a reason for the tabbards to exist other than tradition.

The utility belt almost always matches in color to the boots, outer robe, and inner tunic. It’s purpose is exactly what u think it would be. To carry everything the fictional Jedi needs. It’s almost always made out of leather.

Pants are made out of a durable material similar to the outer tunic, but lighter weight. Almost a cross between the materials used on the outer and inner tunics. In the movies pants aren’t always worn as sometimes the outer tunic becomes an inner floor length robe.

Now for how all of this applies to me, and where the meaning comes in FOR ME. I put a lot of thought into designing my own robes, mostly in the color scheme. With all I’ve been through in life, I have the opinion that others can see me in a dark way. So my outermost layer is black. I choose a lighter material for ease of movement. As you work into the next layer you get a little closer to the real me. So I made this layer grey. Grey pants and tabbards to represent how those who know me a little bit see the average person. Not good, not bad just the middle of the road average person. The inner layer I made white. Those closest to me who know me best would all say I’m a good man. Selfless almost to a fault with all good intentions in life. Law abiding soldier with respect for others.

Lightsaber- while I didn’t build my current lightsaber, Thought was put into it..espicaly the blade color. I choose purple for two reasons. 1. In the movies, Jedi have blue lightsabers and sith red. Jedi being the good guys and sith being the bad guys. But in my opinion there are no purely good guys and no purely bad guys so If you combine red and blue u make purple. 2.mace windu. Need I say more? Lol. Incase I do, in the movies and books , mace windu practiced a fighting style that used both light and dark side powers. He could do so due to his mastery of self control (at least up until the events leading to his death). Self control and controlling my temper has been somthing I’ve struggled with so that adds to my reason for purple.

Meaning in everything is my favorite part of the fictional Jedi. Not because it’s a uniform ....exactly the same. It’s customized by each person for their own reasons. Some Jedi wear black robes, some brown. Some have purple lightsabers and others yellow and others green or blue. But there is meaning in everything, unique to each person and their own path, and to me it’s the most beautiful thing about my path as a real world Jedi.

FBWY.

Apprentice and Seminarian Zero Storm
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Seminary / Meditation / Personal
Teaching Master: Kit

” If you can’t explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.” - Albert Einstein

More
18 Oct 2019 20:21 #344610 by Trillcherek
Replied by Trillcherek on topic Lightsaber

Rainbow Firefly wrote: Wow, really good job! And now I'm trying to figure out why I imagine my lightsaber having pinkish yellow blade (someting like salmon/abricot/pink gold color)

As a new person here too I would definitely start learning the Jedi tenets first before doing any thing sabery but that's just my opinion. Do as you wish.

May the force be one with you.

More
18 Oct 2019 20:26 #344612 by Rainbow Firefly

Trillcherek wrote:

Rainbow Firefly wrote: Wow, really good job! And now I'm trying to figure out why I imagine my lightsaber having pinkish yellow blade (someting like salmon/abricot/pink gold color)

As a new person here too I would definitely start learning the Jedi tenets first before doing any thing sabery but that's just my opinion. Do as you wish.

It was just spontaneous moment of imagination, but I find it intresting, because usually the associations that come first in mind have the biggest ammount of deep meaning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trillcherek