Have we become too generalized or too specific?

More
06 Feb 2019 12:40 #333783 by Kobos
So, on the original topic.

Have we become too generalized or too specific?
Yes and yes. We live in a society (First World) of specialization. You probably specialize in something in order to carry employment. We get to general when we attempt to apply our specialized knowledge to general situations.

I hire a plumber to fix the complexities of piping in my home.
You normally don't hire a plumber to fix your car.

As for social concepts we are also both. We take very specialized segments of society and try to apply there characteristics across general society.

Hope that made some general sense on the specific topic ;)

Much Love, Respect and Peace,
Kobos

Fighting what you cannot see, will only lead you to lash out with violence towards everyone. Know your enemy, and you may find yourself a friend.

You can act real rude and totally removed
And I can act like an imbecile- Men without hats

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kelrax Lorcken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2019 04:28 #339855 by JamesSand
Something interesting must have happened and this came to a hill of beans.

What should this temple be then? Just diaries and sermons? and strictly controlled discussion on relevant topics, or other issues and how jediism applies to them?

I imagine some sort of rabbis playing chess in central park sort of ideal.

More
18 Jun 2019 23:17 - 18 Jun 2019 23:18 #339878 by Adder
Almost begs the question what should Jedi be doing (that might be different from non-Jedi).

Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 18 Jun 2019 23:18 by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger

More
18 Jun 2019 23:57 - 18 Jun 2019 23:57 #339879 by Khaos
I would hope that would constantly be a top priority question that is being constantly refined through practice. Not just individually, but communally.

Or what the hell is everyone doing here?

Hugs and Kisses.
~Khaos~
Last edit: 18 Jun 2019 23:57 by Khaos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karn

More
19 Jun 2019 00:17 #339881 by Adder

Khaos wrote: I would hope that would constantly be a top priority question that is being constantly refined through practice. Not just individually, but communally.

Or what the hell is everyone doing here?

Yea hence the forum, individual questions offer frames of reference to explore it I guess.

Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelrax Lorcken

More
01 Aug 2019 13:38 - 01 Aug 2019 13:55 #340778 by J. K. Barger
Interesting topic- I've found myself thinking about this exact thing lately.

I would echo those who say both, but I would add to that by asking "How"? How have we gotten specific, and how have we become generalized? And as Adder said, the answers given are deeply informed by how one views "what a Jedi Should be doing".

Without being too detailed, I would posit this:

The roles and responsibilities of a Jedi are so broad and appeals to many people for different reasons, yet we all find inspiration from the central concept of an archetype of someone/thing that lives a particular lifestyle, operates from a particular worldview, and regularly connects with a practice that promotes facility with a reality that permeates all the distinct areas of Life- the Force.

Perhaps, in intuiting this and naturally congregating around a loose feeling and body of lore is a general approach, but maybe they were just beginning steps. Maybe we are at a juncture here at the temple where our "Jedi-sight" takes stock of where we've been and applies it to "Where do we want to go?"

Are we going to be explorers of the unknown?
Are we obtuse an (non-) rigorous philosophers?
Or are we just looking for an alternative life-path?
Or maybe any combo of any sort?

I would like to think all of the above, but it seems like the holistic model is passed-over in favor of a singular approach.

We have people training in all sorts of avenues, yet lack a unified vision of how these all fit together, and even worse, how that unit- that individual- is to relate to the world at large, especially the socio-spiritual.

I could go on and on, but I'll be brief for the thread's sake. PM me if you anyone would like to take this further.

The Force is with you, always.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2019 13:55 by J. K. Barger. Reason: Pressed enter too many damn times
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, TheDude, Kobos

More
08 Aug 2019 22:23 - 08 Aug 2019 22:27 #341062 by Edan
I popped by to see what people talk about here these days and saw this thread, and as someone that participates not at all I thought I would post my opinion. You do not have to agree nor pay any attention to it, especially as you may not even know who I am.

I left for many reasons, but one reason was because I felt that there was too much politicking going on and I didn't like it.

When I first joined here I felt like TOTJO was a place to learn. Knights were called by their usernames out of respect as teachers (this was then, TOTJO's opinion of how to respect knights has changed), disagreements happened yes, but they didn't seem to go in endless circles and get dragged back at every news cycle.

Every single damn time I return to this website to look and see what has happened there's an argument, there's someone moaning because they're not a knight, or because the council didn't vote the way they wanted (or hasn't voted at all). And get this, it's always the same set of arguments. That's all I see when I log in, which means that's almost all of what new people see too.

This website is neither too general nor too specific, it's just not what it was. From the outside now, looking in after a deal of a time, I just see arguments and a few novices trying to get through their IP. There are attempts to distract these things, mostly behind the scenes, but they are drowned out.

This place was never religious for me, I am not a religious person, but it was a Temple of learning (for me) for a great deal of time and either the knights have forgotten it, the council has forgotten it, or the membership don't realise it (or all three), or nobody wants to enforce it. I see some threads about learning but they seem short, ditched for the longer controversial arguments, or the conversations indicate they were never followed through.

Everyone here can debate until they're blue in the face 'what TOTJO is', but that's a problem, and has been a problem for some time. Because debate isn't action, at TOTJO it just becomes argument. I've been a part of this problem in the past, I hold my hands up to that, I was part of the system that couldn't (and can't) see itself.

The knights are the leaders. You get together, you take a vote 'what do we want TOTJO to be', and then you do that. I've been mocked before here about wanting votes, but they lead to decisions (as long as they are followed through). You might lose some people, but you've already lost many, what's a few more to figure things out.

You can't be everything. Don't be everything. Be what the home page says you are. After all, that's what you're advertising. Or change it, and be something else. But make the decision, or you'll be nothing for no-one.

Understanding in the place of indifference
Compassion in the place of cruelty
Action in the place of apathy
Peace in the place of violence
Mercy in the place of vengeance

Contact me if you like: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2019 22:27 by Edan.

More
17 Oct 2019 10:46 #344508 by Trillcherek
From my point of view. Here in Australia I'm one of the few people who are following Jedism and at times i feel very alone. but that aside. I do feel as if its more of a community who follow similar things rather then a church or temple. The force moves though us, helps us connect and this is a thing that we all strive to follow. Regardless we make the world a better place with both positive and negative reactions and responses. Everyday we move forwards to the force. we should make the most of it. so whether you call this a church, temple or community. we will still be here making the world a better place... To me personally as I said before its a community. This would be because I dont have anyone else around me to help me along my journey in person. but regardless of what it is, its helping people both in and outside the community though us and we should be proud of that.

Not too sure if this is relevant or not but i just wrote what I felt, felt right.

May the force be with you all.

May the force be one with you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
17 Oct 2019 13:28 #344516 by Carlos.Martinez3
Your never alone here. It may feel like it but that’s natural. There’s a idea out there - a Knight is often alone. Something to think about. For every one that knows them self’s - that’s time away from others so ... some times we as Jeddist are - on our own but that’s not a bad thing some times. Force continue to be with ya as ya seek it and - as you find it ! Most times I find the Force ( my practice connections and what I share ) with no one else around. Think about that!

Contact The Clergy
Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Block
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, Trillcherek

More
17 Oct 2019 15:10 #344527 by Tmattos93
I think this goes back to the doctrine and the commitment of our membership to accept and abide by it. The doctrine is fairly broad, which may leave it open to some interpretation, but ultimately there are specific beliefs and teachings and maxims included that establish a pretty solid framework for this community. I suppose in that sense the answer to the question might be a shade of "neither." Some people may focus on some areas of the belief system more than others, but that might be a general issue with most religions or philosophies denoted by labels such as "Christian", "Jewish", "Buddhist", "Jedi"; when people cherry pick which portions of the ideological doctrine to follow and they disregard the rest, it dilutes the community and can lead to alienation of those that strive to understand and abide by that doctrine in its entirety. The way I see it, that is what makes the position of Apprentice, Knight, and Master so admirable. These are individuals that have worked and studied to be examples of what this particular philosophy embodies. Naturally, people have busy and complicated lives, and I know that results in the absence of higher ranking individuals in this order, and I suppose that absence may appear to weaken the order when guests fill the forums and derail conversation or studies with challenges and confrontation that per our order's doctrine we must accept and use as an opportunity to learn and evolve from.

Maybe I'm ranting, I just think the doctrine is pretty clear and should simply be referenced more often in discussion that seems to blur the idea of what we are here. *shrugs*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos, Brick