Is the FAQ Confusing?

• Akkarin
  • Akkarin's Avatar Topic Author
28 Jan 2016 15:13 #224926 by Akkarin
Is the FAQ Confusing? was created by Akkarin
As Librarian the management of articles and sources of information, such as the FAQ, are under my purview. However apparently some of our sources of information can be confusing. So this is an invitation to the Temple to weigh in on the issue so that articles can be updated to make access to relevant information more user-friendly.

If you are wondering what the articles actually are, here is an index of them .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2016 17:39 #224998 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Is the FAQ Confusing?
I wouldn't say it's "confusing", necessarily. I would say, speaking strictly to the FAQ document itself, that there is an overabundance of over-wordiness and that it is less than ideally organized ;)

Example: All the joining information is (mostly) at the very beginning of the rather long FAQ page, but the "rule" that states "master, knight, etc shall not be in usernames" is a good 4/5ths down the page, well away from the rest of the joining information. As is the information about multiple accounts.

There's a lot of good information there, but I imagine that the amount of it, all on one page, and not necessarily in a sense of coherent ordering might be why a lot of people just don't bother to read through the whole lot of it. (That's an assumption on my part, but I imagine (another assumption) it's a fairly accurate one.)

My personal recommendation would be to split things up into separate "articles" and in doing so reorganize how some of the information is worded, while also cutting back on the wording.

Just my two cents...

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Edan

• Goken
28 Jan 2016 17:49 #225004 by Goken
Replied by Goken on topic Is the FAQ Confusing?
The only thing that I have to say is that the "How to Use This Site" page, which includes how to upload an Avatar, isn't on the FAQ page. It's only located at the bottom of the page under "Help." This is, understandably, a good place for it, but even I got lost looking for it in the FAQ page thinking that it would be there.

• Dechlain
28 Jan 2016 17:57 #225007 by Dechlain
Replied by Dechlain on topic Is the FAQ Confusing?
Hi Akkarin
The only major suggestion I could make would be to eliminate the link to the old and new programs for the IP and just lay out the current format completely on the IP page. There is some confusion. As an example, the program update link which takes you to the New Structure shows "Lesson 4: The Field ('Lynne McTaggart The Field' work as before, now includes disclaimer)" but the actual IP page says: "To complete this lesson ('Connections') you can do either the part entitled 'Mindwalk' or the part entitled 'The Field'. You may do both parts if you wish but only completing one part is required for completing the lesson." I wasn't sure which was correct and I had to get clarification. Cheers. :)

• Snowy Aftermath
28 Jan 2016 18:05 - 28 Jan 2016 18:08 #225010 by Snowy Aftermath
Replied by Snowy Aftermath on topic Is the FAQ Confusing?
Is there a direct link to the library somewhere on the site that I'm just not seeing? Sometimes I want to go see if such-and-such is over there, and I have to dig and dig through the Initiate's Program and things to eventually turn it up. I'd love to be able to just click on the "My TotJO" tab to go there. It seems like a resource people might want to use a lot (like in an assignment, as so many of us are studying here) or if there's just some curiosity that strikes them.

The only thing I would ever change about the FAQ is that I'd put a little more information in about the TotJO degree scheme. I'm too nervous to ask anyone about it, because I'm still so new, but I'd like to know more about what the Apprentices study, since I'm heading that direction eventually.

That's just me though xD

Also, I agree with Dechlain: that old/new IP stuff is confusing to new folks. Having only the new information up there would save a lot of stress over whether or not they're doing it right.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2016 18:08 by Snowy Aftermath.

More
28 Jan 2016 18:06 #225011 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Is the FAQ Confusing?
The library is at the very bottom of the site in the black bar, under the heading 'learning'.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

QUESTION YOUR APATHY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Goken, Snowy Aftermath

• Omhu Cuspor
28 Jan 2016 18:20 #225015 by Omhu Cuspor
Replied by Omhu Cuspor on topic Is the FAQ Confusing?
This question brings to mind a seminar I attended once. The seminar leader at the beginning informed those of us participating that the temperature of the room would not be changed, should anyone ask. He explained, "Let me show you why. How many people right now are too cold?" About 1/3 of the hands went up. Then, he asked, "How many are too warm?" Again, about 1/3 of the hands went up. Presumably the other third of us felt just fine. He laughingly added, "And that is why we won't adjust the temperature!"

It may be that our collective view of the FAQ's contains the same contradictions. As someone who's made recent use of the FAQ's to understand how to begin the Initiate's Program, I found them user-friendly and thorough. I didn't once wish that they were differently laid out or composed, so I am a satisfied user. :-)

More
28 Jan 2016 19:36 #225038 by Edan
FAQs should be easy to use for everyone, if we can do something to increase the number of people who find it easy to use then I say do it :)

QUESTION YOUR APATHY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Goken

More
28 Jan 2016 19:45 #225042 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Is the FAQ Confusing?
Well, I think that was his point...

If most folks dont have trouble, its those having trouble, not the FAQ...

Not that it couldnt use some fine tuning... :lol:...

Also our Youth faq (looking at Edan) might need a more prominent way for them to find it... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
28 Jan 2016 20:50 #225060 by Edan

Jestor wrote: Also our Youth faq (looking at Edan) might need a more prominent way for them to find it... lol...[/color]

I already have a plan, I just need to send a pm!

QUESTION YOUR APATHY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor