Physical temple

More
24 Apr 2017 15:37 #281727 by ZealotX
Replied by ZealotX on topic Physical temple
The only way I would support the Order owning any property is if:

1. said property was donated
2. fees/maintenance/taxes were low enough to be easily shouldered by the council
3. would be maintained as a central address of the religion to gain recognition outside the order to be taken more seriously

I have seen churches struggle to pay their bills and when that plate starts getting passed around multiple times in a single service I feel like the focus of the whole spirit of the experience changes into being a place of business. The idea is always nicer than the reality in my opinion.

What about a natural solution?

I don't know where you guys live but there are no shortage of parks where I live. They're free. They're closer to nature than a church building. They have covered places to eat. They often have trails and lakes.

Many parks wouldn't be against us erecting large tents. The tents wouldn't be an ongoing bill. They could be bought with one-time donations and sent through the mail to different organizers who need them.

perhaps something like this (but cheaper):

www.thegazebostore.com/party-tent-20-x-6...k8P8HAQ#.WP4XG9LytaQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2017 19:03 #282446 by Blackbeltmitpen
Replied by Blackbeltmitpen on topic Physical temple
If I could get enough students or funds; I'd move my dojo to a commercial location and set up a time for Jedi training be it in martial arts; meditation; or just for community.

this is not a request for money. But it could be a way for Oregon/Washington Jedi to meet up; enjoy eacch others company; and learn.

just a thought.

" To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others."- Buddha

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Chaos is inherent in all living things. Strive on with diligence."-Buddha

"I have realized that the past and future are real illusions; that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is."-Alan Watts

" If it harms none, do what you will."-Wiccan Rede

More
29 Apr 2017 19:11 - 29 Apr 2017 19:13 #282447 by Trisskar
Replied by Trisskar on topic Physical temple
Tents

I've thought about that idea....sadly Jedi are way too pish posh these days....the idea of sleeping on the ground appalls them XD

Oregon

Blackbeltmitpen - if you go to Jedi Gatherings Group on facebook you might find a couple Oregon Jedi interested. I can think of one that lives in Oregon :)
Last edit: 29 Apr 2017 19:13 by Trisskar.

More
29 Apr 2017 19:36 #282452 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Physical temple
With apologies to anyone else who's pointed this out, first a local area has enough Members to support a physical Church then they build the Church. I've never see anyone (apologies if I've missed any) say they're going to get a strong local congregation organized. Having done that then they're well on their way to a Chapel or Church or Temple.

If you, Gentle Reader, don't have five Members living close enough to you to get together at least once a month - what good is a Church?

A Monastery is a different story and I'll address that in another topic. That is something that only needs a few Members.

According to the Arabic proverb, there are no such things as a Phoenix, a Ghoul, or a True Bosom Friend, but I say to you that I found them all among my neighbors. ~ Kahlil Gibran
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eleven, Alexandre Orion, Avalon, Carlos.Martinez3, Aqua, Kelrax Lorcken

More
17 Oct 2019 11:01 #344510 by Trillcherek
Replied by Trillcherek on topic Physical temple
Personally, i really think that we shouldn't want a temple. It will happen when the force wills it. Or something like that. the temple is the people just like the church is the people.

May the force be one with you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

More
17 Oct 2019 11:12 #344512 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Physical temple
Heh, this old thing.

For what it's worth, I came to within a hand wave of establishing a (the first?) australian Jedi temple (and snowboard rental).....but I was beaten at auction
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi, Kobos, Brick, Trillcherek

More
17 Oct 2019 14:40 #344519 by Fyxe
Replied by Fyxe on topic Physical temple
I have an idea to do tent revival! I want to get a big tent like the old preachers did and travel from place to place, setup the tent and spread the message of the Jedi! I think this would be a great place to start.

Where ever you go, there you are. Make the best of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger