How much study time is the RIGHT amount of time?

More
16 Jun 2015 20:27 #195116 by Jestor
Split from: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/114-A...tion?start=10#195108

Just because people do things quickly doesn't mean they aren't doing them right. Can we please stop putting emphasis on this idea that a Jedi must take a stupid amount of time to truly consider the possibilities of blah blah blah, and just accept that some of our minds move faster than others?

Well, kind of a double edged sword, yes?

So, I like Lasagna...

Ive considered lasagna, tasted different kinds, and deiced, since I have had so many I like, and so few I do not, I think I like it...

But, Steamboat says, "I had it once, and no, lasagna is gross, HOW could you? You just have not considered it enough... you really should reconsider..."

Steamboat, not familiar with my extensive expertise in the pasta arts, is insistent.

Maintaining my stance, I say "I have considered it very indepth.."

Toot-Toot: "well I cant see how, we have only begun discussing it"

Clown guy: "Well, I have been eating and trying it for years!"

Hot Water Powered water craft: "Well, evidently, not enough!"

When I meet someone who presents an idea that I know, I do consider what I know, but if no new info is added, how would my opinion change?

I bet if I tried, I could do the IP in 24 hours...

And it would be great, and then, I would spend my time, meeting the community...

The 60 day thing is as much about getting to know us/them, as it is forcing people to slow down...

Is the fast mind really considering anything new, or at least reconsidering something old?

Or is it merely on autopilot?

Just talking to ya's

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, hellisforhorses, LuCrae Jiddu, Aqua

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2015 20:34 #195117 by Edan
I would argue that the title of this thread has no answer.

Anyone who ever looked at my journal would know that I can go through books like water sometimes.

For me, I can read 6 essays in a day or whatever and digest that material (mostly cos it's what my brain is always doing).
If I could have been bothered at the time, no doubt I could have done the IP in 24 hours, but there would have been no point because I'm not convinced I would have been any the wiser when it comes to what a Jedi is.

I think the mistake when it comes to training is to assume that all learning comes from books and videos.. it doesn't.. learning sometimes comes from making a connection in your real life, it can come from trying something new, or conversation with another. That is why I approve of the waiting limit on the IP even for those who can steam through.. application is the true test of education.

Understanding in the place of indifference
Compassion in the place of cruelty
Action in the place of apathy
Peace in the place of violence
Mercy in the place of vengeance

Contact me if you like: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Luthien, Rickie, LuCrae Jiddu, Goken

More
16 Jun 2015 20:38 #195118 by Aqua
All I can say about the post dearest steamboat.. Even if a mind can move fast, think of yourself as a clown guy that tries to walk across a room on Halloween to find his lost lasagna, cooling down every minute a degree colder.. :woohoo: Understanding comes from different angles, you must walk to each angle before seeing that other view. I can not walk as fast as I can mind. Lasagna is delicious. :side:

Inclino, Tolero, Speculum
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, LuCrae Jiddu

More
16 Jun 2015 20:51 - 16 Jun 2015 20:52 #195119 by Adi
When it comes to self-enrichment, effort is what matters more than time. If your heart is truly in it, who cares how much time it takes? I self-imposed a schedule (which I am presently behind on) on completing the IP because I want to be able to really pour my heart into foundational studies like these, and also be able to fully devote myself to what comes next. This coming September will be one of the busiest and most exciting months of my life, more than when I started my university studies seven years ago.

I agree with the sentiment expressed elsewhere that experience is the best teacher, and for me, combining my experiences (which are discussed in my "reflection" posts) with the IP material has been very rewarding for me. I've held fast to the idea that the more effort one puts into these kinds of programmes, the greater the reward. People might find it weird that, for example, I eulogized a dear friend in my journal, but it felt appropriate and it helped me.

Taking one's time does, however, offer more opportunities for reflection and self-examination, which is why *my* IP studies have been so incredibly rewarding and enriching for me.

Adi
Without love, deeds, even the most brilliant, count as nothing. - Thérèse of Lisieux ✞
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 20:52 by Adi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Luthien, LuCrae Jiddu

More
16 Jun 2015 21:02 #195122 by Rickie
Are you a microwave oven or a crock pot? :)

Peace, kindness, compassion, tolerance, truth, knowledge, strength of mind, body and spirit are not always companions of mine but are always pursued.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Luthien, Kit, LuCrae Jiddu, Goken

More
16 Jun 2015 21:07 #195123 by LuCrae Jiddu

Jestor wrote: I bet if I tried, I could do the IP in 24 hours...

And it would be great, and then, I would spend my time, meeting the community...

The 60 day thing is as much about getting to know us/them, as it is forcing people to slow down...

Is the fast mind really considering anything new, or at least reconsidering something old?

I bet if I tried, I could spend the rest of my life repeating the IP and learn something new every time.

I tend to catch on to things very quickly. Nonetheless, I have had to consciously slow down and purposefully reflect on the meaningful things in life. If one truly wants to understand something in-depth, they should take time to absorb. This does not mean they should actively sit rereading the IP over and over, but take time to let the meaning sink in. If one believes they understand something completely then they should attempt to counter their own argument.

As I've come to understand the teaching so far, the Dao teaches everything can be learnt from one thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Luthien

More
16 Jun 2015 21:08 - 16 Jun 2015 21:16 #195124 by Adder
If the lessons can reflect on real world application then they can better express progress of embracing lessons rather then just reading and understanding them. This could be one way to approach how to examine experiential learning - of course like all things it assumes its on a foundation of truth. If (where applicable) lessons are taken to the real world in some capacity, then its impossible to go through the material in 24 hours without having a really busy day, in which case they should video tape it and make a collage of experiencing self induced IP frenzy
:silly:

Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 21:16 by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Luthien, LuCrae Jiddu

More
16 Jun 2015 21:14 #195125 by Jestor

Adi Vas wrote: Taking one's time does, however, offer more opportunities for reflection and self-examination, which is why *my* IP studies have been so incredibly rewarding and enriching for me.

Same for me...

And, I repeat...

The points made by Campbell, I constantly look for, (who is the hero? What is the message, etc)

Watts, Tolle, Shyamalan, King, Nietzsche, CarrotTop, Bozo, Descartes, Bohem, Woody Woodpecker, Lucas, Stallone...

Just the tip of the iceberg...

Sometimes, I.slow so.much, I stop... Have to be careful of that as well...:)

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sirius, Luthien, LuCrae Jiddu, Goken

More
16 Jun 2015 21:18 #195126 by Luthien
For me, it's always been that I understand immediately, but don't know the right words to use to convey my understanding. :dry:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, LuCrae Jiddu

More
16 Jun 2015 21:24 #195128 by LuCrae Jiddu

Luthien wrote: For me, it's always been that I understand immediately, but don't know the right words to use to convey my understanding. :dry:

I've come to believe this is my subconscious understanding of something I must consciously come to understand. I get that same feeling, but hesitate to claim I understand until I can explain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Luthien, Edan