Raising funds for TotJO

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #142646 by
Raising funds for TotJO was created by
I know when it comes to religion and temples the exchange of money is a touchy subject, however temples need money to operate and I was wondering if TotJO would only ever consider donations as a viable source.

I have read elsewhere in the forums that t-shirts and patches do not make a religion greater, however consider the religions of Sihkism, Christianity, Hinduism, and Orthodox Judaism. They all have amulets, special clothes, hairstyles or cosmetics that help the follower maintain focus on their spiritual path throughout the day.

I know many members here have fashioned their own symbols of Jediism for themselves. But what of those of us with no skill or time to do such?

What if the skilled crafts-people of TotJO donated thier work to help offset the cost of the website? I noticed in the application that the question was asked what skills we could give to TotJO. The ones listed were all non-materialistic skills. I think including artisan donations would help them to feel more valuable in the community while satisfying a need to wear a reminder to those who are not as crafty.

I hope I didn't overstep my bounds.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 1 day ago #142648 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Raising funds for TotJO
If you glance at the bottom of the site you'll see we do have other sources of possibly funding totjo..

We have several members working on similar projects...the challenge lays in finding and freeing up time along with starting seed....it takes money to make money...even a bake sale has expenses....donations don't cost a thing to collect..the problem is not everyone can afford to donate money...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #142649 by
Replied by on topic Raising funds for TotJO
Thank you, Ryujin. I don't think I would have ever noticed that link as a storefront. Maybe spell it out for those of us who read literally, (or illiteratly) lol. I'll fire up the debit card in the morning.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 1 day ago #142654 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Raising funds for TotJO
We also do have the "donate" button discreetly placed under the FAQ link at the top...

As to artisans, excellent idea...:)

I will change the application to include them, but, we would want to make sure that some factors are in place...

Time to.make the art, as well as a way to offset shipping or whatever...

Interesting idea.. Now for some volunteers, :lol:...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #142661 by
We have the cafepress one linked at the bottom and also a Zazzle one here: http://www.zazzle.com/totjostore

I'll ask Proteus to put them both down there for the time being.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 1 day ago #142662 by Jestor
In talking about the 'artisan' business deal, it might not be a bad idea to redirect the link at the bottom to a page with the list of those type of things...

(dont anyone get excited :lol: but, when we get the certificate and ID cards sorted out, it might be a good idea to have them listed there as well...)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 day ago #142665 by

Jestor wrote: In talking about the 'artisan' business deal, it might not be a bad idea to redirect the link at the bottom to a page with the list of those type of things...

(dont anyone get excited :lol: but, when we get the certificate and ID cards sorted out, it might be a good idea to have them listed there as well...)

Lol, I just saw this after posting something like that in PR :P It's a good idea.

More
10 years 1 day ago - 10 years 1 day ago #142669 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Raising funds for TotJO

Storge wrote: What if the skilled crafts-people of TotJO donated thier work...

No.

I am an artist. I am not a charity. My materials cost money and my belly needs food.
Last edit: 10 years 1 day ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna, Kit

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
10 years 1 day ago #142675 by Jestor
I see that in two ways...

One, art buyer pays TOTJO, who sends cost to artist (material plus shipping, time is artists donation)

Two, art buyer pays artist, artist donates "profit" to TOTJO....

Just two ideas, I'm sure there are others....

And, no one is required, so your comment seems, er, weird? Lol...

Everyone's time is precious, I choose to spend a substantial portion of my most valuable commodity to running this site...

I'm not artist, as the "arts", but, if management and "the gift of gab" are arts, I'm a professional...:lol;...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

More
10 years 1 day ago #142676 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Raising funds for TotJO
I make patches http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/22-projects-and-committees/106288-totjo-patches But I know that the shops that TotJO has has the prices listed at just above production cost. I don't advertise it becuase I think it's a little tacky, but I've sold patches and pendants to members who ask. I tell them that the cost is for material, and a little bit for my time, if they want to really pay me for my time, they could donate to the Temple.

TECHNICLY I could turn around, charge more, and donate THAT to the Temple but I'd rather leave it up to the individual on what they think the items are worth to them.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi