Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #65107 by
i feel the same way...about the not understanding and the ewan mcgregor. but in time i started hating him and finding that the originals are better with the stroy than teachings, and the teachings in the prequels better that its story...they are the perfect match. you dont have to watch them. your only making yourself angry, upset and frustrated for no reason...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65746 by

Akkarin wrote: In the original trilogy...

The Lightsaber too was used only as a weapon of last resort, when someone took out their lightsaber you knew that shizzle was about to go down. That something really big was going to happen. For most of the time you never saw them

That is the beauty of a space opera

The lightsaber is used constantly throughout the film. Nearly every single fight there is a lightsaber. Ask yourself if that is because George Lucas was using them artistically to explain something big was about to go down? Or was he using them simply because they looked cool

I think that the reason why George Lucas used more lightsabers and duels in the prequels has to do with the setting and plot, and not just because they "looked cool".

In the original trilogy, the Jedi are outlaws and will be captured, tortured, and executed if they appear. Therefore, Jedi could NOT use lightsabers so often because they might be caught.

In the prequels, the Jedi were the recognized "police officers" (for lack of a better term) so using the lightsaber was more socially acceptable. In other words, I'm sure the old Ben Kenobi and Yoda would use their lightsabers more often, in the original trilogy, if it wasn't illegal.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65756 by
Plus, drawing a lightsaber would be the only way to deal with Sith and Large Number of enemies.

The total time that happens in the PT: Infinite. haha

In the OT: Like... 3-4 times.

The Jedi at the time, in the PT, were desperate to pick up the pieces of what was left of the Republic. You know what they say about desperate times...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65762 by

RiddleNox wrote: Plus, drawing a lightsaber would be the only way to deal with Sith and Large Number of enemies.

The total time that happens in the PT: Infinite. haha

In the OT: Like... 3-4 times.

The Jedi at the time, in the PT, were desperate to pick up the pieces of what was left of the Republic. You know what they say about desperate times...

Not to mention that in the OT, the Jedi were pretty much trying to remain low-key. The lightsaber only came out in absolute necessity (for instance, Obi-Wan had to use it to protect Luke from that guy in the bar who whipped out a blaster).

Luke went full-lightsaber in ROTJ though.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65763 by

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65782 by

Xiam wrote: Not to mention that in the OT, the Jedi were pretty much trying to remain low-key. The lightsaber only came out in absolute necessity (for instance, Obi-Wan had to use it to protect Luke from that guy in the bar who whipped out a blaster).

Luke went full-lightsaber in ROTJ though.

My point exactly.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #65857 by
Also, here's another point that I haven't brought up yet:

I really admired the prequel movies because, even though they were made over ten years after the original movies, the plots connected nearly perfectly. More specifically, George Lucas made an effort to include subtle but key (and there tingly) details that hinted towards the "future" events of the original movies.

For example...

1. When Obi-Wan see the clones on Kamino and talks with the Kaminoan leader, he asks, "who this army is for?" She replies, "this army is for the republic". I found this interesting out of irony. Obi-Wan, during the prequels, is relieved to hear that the army is for the republic. He has no idea that his own republic will turn against him and become his hunter and worst enemy.

2. (Not the exact dialogue, sorry) Anakin and Padme are talking, in a Naboo field, about politics. Padme explains, "the problem is, not everyone agrees". Anakin replies, "then they should be made to". Padme "who, who's gonna make them?" Anakin says, "someone wise". Padme jokes, "you? someone like you?" Anakin laughs, "of course not me." Padme then says, "that sounds an awful like a dictatorship". Anakin replies, "well, if it works..." and Padme gives him a cold, concerned stare before laughing it off.

This obviously hints at Anakin's natural thoughts towards promoting dictatorship and aggressive control, later leading to his role as the emperor's signature police officer.

3. Dooku is in the Geonosis spire and Poggle the Lesser says something like, "we are doomed if they find out what we are trying to build". Dooku says something like, "I will take the designs to my Master on Coruscant". He flashes the Death Star's designs.

In other words, I admire the prequels because they emphasized the Star Wars beliefs of "destiny" and "fate" - that events that seem really lucky are actually fateful and according to the force pulling the galaxy in and out of balance.

The prequel movies hint that, despite the actions of all characters, everyone is destined for the Empire.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #69467 by

Tseen Keh wrote: (Also, Ewan McGregor. If nothing else, he's the reason to love Prequels.)

agreed!

I have an impression that Original Trilogy is more talking and going with Luke through his journey, while Prequels focus on action. I really liked those Prequels fights.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #69502 by

toastie wrote: I have an impression that Original Trilogy is more talking and going with Luke through his journey, while Prequels focus on action. I really liked those Prequels fights.

The 3rd Matrix film has that awesome fight in the dock with all the APC's

Still an awful film though...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #74993 by
OK.....after reading through all the previous posts ( sorry if I missed any ) I would just like to add my two or three bits.
I saw Star Wars the day it opened in 1977, we sat through it twice. It really did start something in my life. Empire, awesome. Return of the Jedi, actually helped me through a really difficult time in my life. I went and saw it once a week at the $1 theater after the first run. I saw it a total of 15 times.
EPI, II and III. I like and I don't. EPI has the best lighsaber duel of the entire series, and I told Ray Park this in person. BUT here is where Lucas lost me. All these years The Force was this mystical energy given off by living things....and now.....he reduces it to symbionic cooties????
EPII, I liked, we saw the Jedi Temple, classes, and council and I have to admit the Battle of Geonosis.....that was awesome yet a regretable loss of my heroes. EPIII not the best and not the worst, most of it was decent, it tied the two trilogies togther, but the whole love story was a bit much. The time lines don't quite match up, the Clone Wars were supposed to last 20 years. Ewan McGregor is one of my favorite actors and I think his interpretation of a youger Obi Wan was the highlight of the prequels. Obi Wan always was my favorite character, starting with Old Ben. I could go on and on but that's a condensed version.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi