Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...)

More
12 years 6 days ago #56172 by Wescli Wardest
I’m not certain what everyone was expecting, but I liked the prequels.

I liked that we were introduced to the time before the Empire and that a lot of the back story was put on the big screen.

Granted, I am not a fan of Jarjar but that’s just one character. But, for me, this was an opportunity to see part of the story to my favorite Jedi… Obi Wan Kenobi. And I have to agree with Master War Beauty, Ewan Mcgregor did an awesome job of bringing Obi Wan to life and giving that “human” quality.

Then, who wouldn’t want to see Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon? Another one of my favorite actors!

Natalie Portman, we didn’t even know who she was before this… had to be something right.

I think that these movies were geared more toward younger audiences and did not have the same drama of the original three; but, they were good movies. Especially when you consider all the other stuff that has come out over the last several years.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 6 days ago #56180 by Proteus
I've got to go with the review videos hands down. So I'll put down my agreements, but I have my own to add as well.

The new Trilogy was fun in action and effects but

1. There was no real protagonist. I couldn't connect personally with anybody through the course of the movies. They were all too distant and de-centralized.

2. The plot course was scattered all over the place, there was no actual flow, partly because of the previous point (no main protagonist), so half the time I had no clue what was going on.

3. Yoda in the new trilogy was not convincing to me in the least bit. His voice annoyed me and wasn't the authentic sounding voice I know yoda to have. His voice acting and writing was very weak.

4. I have to agree with what Akkarin said and put it in my own words... The OT had a clear OVERALL moral set which was clear and strong because it was attached to the main protagonist. The new trilogy was all political, almost completely, so there was very little personal element present because of this, and therefore, there was only room for small little "one-liner morals" of "be patient" yada yada yada, and that's it.

5. The CGI was all fun and exciting but... because it was way too crisp and overly abused, it became very devalued to me. In the OT, in whatever space and even planet scenes we got to see, there was real texturing to the objects because they were real objects and because of the pace at which the effects took place, it allowed for the viewer to absorb the scene and the moment very well and really appreciate the effects that were taking place, and actually FEEL like you are there. I don't have hardly this feeling at all in any of the NT space scenes or most other effects scenes.

Of course I respect all opinions here that favor the new trilogy, they're fun, there's "hawt guys" in them, and the effects are shiny... but... those video reviews pretty much blew away all possible justification for their existence in their current form and I don't see anybody here giving a big enough counter-reason to prove otherwise. lol!

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 12 years 6 days ago by Proteus.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64929 by
I know this post is fairly old now, but I found a video...

in response to Wescli Wardest's comments.

You were right - "Ewan Mcgregor did an AWESOME job of bringing Obi Wan to life", and he really tried his best to bring Alec (the original Obi Wan) back as well.

Here's proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ihqDETf324&feature=related

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64937 by
There just just be more links around here with Ewan McGregor in them..

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64939 by

Reliah wrote: There just just be more links around here with Ewan McGregor in them..

Well, this isn't Ewan McGregor, but it's got Han Solo in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLGFFo8Dn4

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64953 by
Bottom line: Star Wars is a 70s-80s movie series.

New Trilogy is a 90s-00s trilogy.

The movies were made for their audience. So, whichever audience you fall into, that's what you'll like more. If you favor the science fiction of the old days, you will probably enjoy the OT more. If you favor the action series movies that dominated the 90s and 00s, then you will probably like the NT more.

All in all, I think it has little to nothing to do with the supposed "philosophical" teachings. I think there were equal amounts in both series. Just of a different kind. To be honest, I've never used an example from the OT. I've never really thought twice about the teachings on Degobah. This was never conscious. But, I have used COUNTLESS Prequel examples. Because, I grew up in the nineties and two thousands. It's just were I was. I lived them as they came out. So, they spoke to me more.

Plus... I might be straight.. but... EWAN MCGREGOR. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64966 by
Maybe it's been said already...Someone mentioned Qui-Gon and Grevious as being characters introduced in an episode and being killed in that episode...well, so was Obi-Wan in the Original Trilogy. I had to put that in there.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64971 by

Reliah wrote: Movies have flaws for the same reasons Religions have flaws - people create flaws.
Personally, I love both. My top two are The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith. I don't pay attention to things happening in the background, I try to understand what's being portrayed; feelings, emotions, stories, lessons, etc.

People think about things every way they shouldn't - far too often.

Reliah...THANK YOUUU!!! I'll admit, there is a bit of competition between IV and V for my top spot, but Revenge of the Sith is a definite 2nd/3rd placer, and by far the best one of the new trilogy! I feel like Anakin and Obi-Wan developed their characters considerably from II to III. Now don't get me wrong, Revenge is not perfect, but it is one of the greats. The only thing that could have made it more epic is if Liam Neison hadn't gotten into a wreck and was able to appear as Qui-Gon, as he had planned on doing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64975 by
To be honest, I liked the prequel movies as well. A lot. The stories were good, the action was fun and the acting wasn't shabby either. Well, occasionally there were glitches, but one can't expect perfection.

Jar Jar Binks was - for me - a comic relief who, though not really required in the movie, set a lighter tone to the scenes he was in. Which is no bad thing! It wasn't until everyone started whining about it that I thought, yeah, I guess he can be viewed in a negative, slightly irritating light. But he's the embodiment of good ole' fashioned slapstick comedy!

There is also the effect the prequels had on gaming. I love games, though having no console of my own makes it difficult to play. Without the prequels, there would be no Old Republic, no Battlefront, no upcoming 1313. One that will always stay with me is the Playstation One game Jedi Power Battles - not only was it addictive, but every time I played it I wanted to watch Episode One again.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64977 by

RiddleNox wrote:
Plus... I might be straight.. but... EWAN MCGREGOR. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

...WOAH....

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi