Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 days ago #56090 by
This has seemed to be an inevitable part of any Star Wars related website and forum - a large majority of people who utterly HATE the prequel trilogy.

People say that they "suck", that "they don't exist" and "they're so wrong".
However, I don't think these childish descriptions provide a detailed and adequate description of your opinion.

Your opinion is perfectly acceptable - they are only movies, so there is no right or wrong opinion. Personally, I like the prequels and respect them, even though I know they're flawed. And as a Jedi in training, I am learning to cultivate many perspectives and not take offense at opinions that don't match mine.

Can you prequel haters please explain why you hate the prequels? (Remember, please be polite and civilized. This is not a rant!)

Let me start off.

Prequel flaws:
- No close character group --- in the original trilogy (OT), we followed Luke, Han, Leia, and the droids and we saw them transform from distant people who didn't get along to lifetime friends. I admit that the prequels didn't have this same type of character development and fellowship.

- Jar Jar Binks & Boss Nass --- Need I say anymore?

- Actors who played Anakin and Padme --- They seemed stiff and contrived at times. Not the most emotional and thought-provoking actors, I'll admit.

- Anakin & Padme Weird Romance --- It felt forced, it was awkward, and a little sick. "You intoxicate me!!!" (Eww...)

- Too many new characters that die off too quickly --- Qui Gon Jinn & General Grievous, who were introduced and killed in their own, same episodes.

- Kid Anakin --- He seemed a little too "goody-two shoes", yes?

That's all I could think of at the moment. Add to this list please.

Original Trilogy Flaws (Dun Dun Duuun)

- TONS and tons of movie loopholes - I've already mentioned one of the loopholes I found in another forum post. Things like Obi-Wan's vanishing coat in his house, the shrubs that magically disappear behind Luke, the stormtrooper hitting his head, as well as story/plot derps.

- Han Shot First Controversy

- Ewoks in Episode VI --- Personally, very annoying to me.

- Han Solo & Leia are always getting mad at each other --- somewhat irritating

- A lot more talking and less action in general

- Stormtroopers (compared to Clone Troopers) are complete dim-wits that can't even shoot a farm boy who is standing a few meters away.

- Yoda is a cackling idiot for the first few minutes you meet him

- C3P0 is constantly whining --- didn't you find this almost as irritating as Jar Jar?

- They never explain how Luke suddenly goes from a naive Jedi student (who gets his arm chopped off by Vader) to a fully armed Jedi Knight that can easily beat Vader without trying very hard.

- The final duel between Luke and Vader seemed fake --- Vader kind of kneels down while Luke gives into hate and starts slamming his lightsaber like a baseball bat.

See what I mean? Both the original trilogy and prequel trilogy had major flaws.

So why do prequel haters gon hate? Why can't we LOVE both trilogies?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 days ago #56093 by
Movies have flaws for the same reasons Religions have flaws - people create flaws.
Personally, I love both. My top two are The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith. I don't pay attention to things happening in the background, I try to understand what's being portrayed; feelings, emotions, stories, lessons, etc.

People think about things every way they shouldn't - far too often.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 days ago #56098 by

SeanChing wrote: Han Shot First Controversy

They never explain how Luke suddenly goes from a naive Jedi student (who gets his arm chopped off by Vader) to a fully armed Jedi Knight that can easily beat Vader without trying very hard.

The final duel between Luke and Vader seemed fake --- Vader kind of kneels down while Luke gives into hate and starts slamming his lightsaber like a baseball bat.

1. Han and Greedo shot simultaneously. George Lucas has addressed this himself, that if you slow down the footage you'll actually see Greedo's shot in the original film, along with the small crater it makes in the wall beside Han's head.

2. After episode V (book version), Luke goes back to Obi-Wan's home on Tatooine and digs up old texts on the Jedi Order and does a lot of self-teaching. This is how he learned to make his own lightsaber.

3. Vader doesn't give up, he gets tired. Luke is pounding the crap out of him out of anger and rage, and this is when we fully discover the extent of Luke's power as a Jedi. Once Leia's life is threatened, Luke gives into the Dark Side a bit, and completely overwhelms Vader. But of course, as we all know, he opts not to kill Vader, throwing aside his lightsaber and deciding his own fate, to be a true Jedi.

As for why the prequel trilogy isn't nearly as good, I'd say it's about the quality of the films. There's FAR too much CGI, to the point where the actors don't know how to act. There's nothing to see for them, and so the acting was very poor. The stories themselves, however, are remarkable. If you haven't read the Star Wars books, ESPECIALLY the prequels, I strongly advise you do. They are wonderfully written, and the true depth of the story comes out.

Hope this helps! MFTBWY.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 days ago #56100 by

SeanChing wrote: Original Trilogy Flaws (Dun Dun Duuun)

- TONS and tons of movie loopholes - I've already mentioned one of the loopholes I found in another forum post. Things like Obi-Wan's vanishing coat in his house, the shrubs that magically disappear behind Luke, the stormtrooper hitting his head,

A few errors in filming hardly constitute a failure

SeanChing wrote: - Ewoks in Episode VI --- Personally, very annoying to me.

Agreed, episode VI was probably the worst of the originals (by a long way), there were the three different ending sequences all happening at the same time as an example

SeanChing wrote: - Han Solo & Leia are always getting mad at each other --- somewhat irritating

That's honest and in character character development. They were being true to what they were meant to be as characters. If you didn't like it then meh

SeanChing wrote: - A lot more talking and less action in general

- Yoda is a cackling idiot for the first few minutes you meet him

You obviously don't understand the entire point of the trilogy then

SeanChing wrote: - Stormtroopers (compared to Clone Troopers) are complete dim-wits that can't even shoot a farm boy who is standing a few meters away.

This is a science fiction adventure space fantasy film NOT an action film

SeanChing wrote: - C3P0 is constantly whining --- didn't you find this almost as irritating as Jar Jar?

Understandable

SeanChing wrote: See what I mean? Both the original trilogy and prequel trilogy had major flaws.

No. The original trilogy might have a few problems at some points, but seriously... watch the videos I'll link to and you'll understand just what the term 'MAJOR FLAWS' the entire prequel trilogy had

SeanChing wrote: So why do prequel haters gon hate? Why can't we LOVE both trilogies?

Because one makes sense and the other is a forced and fake pile of rubbish that has no plot line that makes sense, all but one character that doesn't appear completely awful (Sidious is the only character who is actually IN character)

There is also no fundamental subtle moral teachings in the prequels

Watch these:

WARNING: Language (you have been warned)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi6qqFLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1MqksXm6Zs&feature=related

More
12 years 3 days ago #56101 by Alethea Thompson
Not a fan of either of them, myself. But if I had to pick between the two, it would be the OT.

You have to balance character development and action. Characters are portrayed by speech and their journey. C3PO isn't as annoying BECAUSE he has R2D2. Jar-Jar, to me, felt like Lucas was just trying to get another C3PO character rather than using what he had. At least C3PO had a decent role, what did Jar-Jar do? Sway the Jungians? Oh please, that could have EASILY been written without him. His role was forced, C3PO was a more natural character used for comic relief. Ewoks...naw, I can get behind the ewoks. If you had made them humaniod it wouldn't have emphasized the variety species in the universe or the need to find common ground amongst people you do not understand.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 3 days ago #56103 by ren
I find the original trilogy deeper. It has flaws, and frankly they had no CGI,and Lucas had nearly no money for Star Wars (ep. IV)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ayT0EZwbks

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 days ago #56106 by
@Akkarin-I absolutely love those videos. I remember watching them with my friend a couple months ago and laughing at every part. I love all the SW movies, but that guy nails all the flaws of the prequels.

More
12 years 3 days ago #56108 by Proteus
@Akkarin

Thanks for those videos. That's the first time I've seen them... my stomach is still hurting from laughing so hard..... XD

I think that guy really nails the points down...

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
12 years 3 days ago #56117 by Alethea Thompson
Lol, I didn't realize those were RedLetterMedia, I love that guy!

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 days ago #56122 by
Senior Knight Akkarin,

I acknowledge your opinions, but I respectfully disagree with many of them.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi